PDA

View Full Version : Rack alternate

Art
Thu 11 September 2008, 15:36
Here is and interesting alternate to using rack, http://www.bell-everman.com/servobelt.html . What is not apparent from the pictures is that there are two belts. One is attached to the frame with 3M VHB tape and the other goes around the motor gear and the two belts mesh. T5 belting will probably work. He uses a property belt that has flanges to insure that the belt tracks properly but flanged rolers will do the same job.

Gerald D
Thu 11 September 2008, 22:51
Art, are you needing to solve any problems with your current rack and pinion system?

Art
Fri 12 September 2008, 10:17
I came across the site when researching the rolamite. Had serious doubts about the rolamite when I started because there is no information on it on the web. It came out of Sandia Labs which designs nuclear weapons among other things. Apparently used as a safety in nuclear weapons ( no plans available) and the impact sensor in air bags because of it's reliability and there is also a postal scale that uses it. One more source to check but believe that the rolamite is a dead issue.
Use of the interlocking belts may be a cheaper idea for some people who can't find racks at a reasonable price.
As a side issue I am thinking of redesigning my site and starting a forum aimed solely for indexers and Legacy Ornamental Mills. What software are you using and how happy are you with it?

isladelobos
Fri 12 September 2008, 10:42
The racks does not need maintenance and in a long time is best, and is more dust clean. The MM is a strong machine we only need change the bearings it is possible.

But for a laser cutter or a plasma cutter seems fast.

Art
Fri 12 September 2008, 10:57
The MM is definitely the best DIY machine I have seen and better than most manufactured machines. Some countries have outrageous import fees things they don't manufacture. The interlocking belt idea could be that solution.

Gerald D
Fri 12 September 2008, 12:04
I am thinking of redesigning my site and starting a forum aimed solely for indexers and Legacy Ornamental Mills. What software are you using and how happy are you with it?

The software is http://www.vbulletin.com/ and I am very happy with it.