PDA

View Full Version : Handling panels with air & cut part labeling

servant74
Wed 27 August 2008, 19:52
I was wondering how people handle the plywood sheets to get them on and off the tables and positioned 'correctly'.

I know, most probably just reach in and pull or push it around, then turn on a vacuum for hold down.

For large panels, I was wondering if turning the force of the vacuum around and blow into it, to float the panels on air, kind of like a 'air hockey' surface makes sense. Then when it is in place, let the air pressure bleed off. Then turn on the vacuum hold downs or other hold down methods.

Has someone done this?

------------------

Second item, putting a small 'print head' on the router head might allow piece labeling while the pieces are still 'on the table'. Might be an interesting gadget in a production shop.

I know it can be done, but haven't seen anyone talk about it, but I have probably missed something.

Doug_Ford
Thu 28 August 2008, 16:12
I just muscle my 4X8 sheets on and off the table if I don't have someone to help me. I wouldn't try that with those big sheets of mdf in South Africa though.

Using the vacuum pump in reverse to float the plywood would be BRILLIANT if it will work.

J.R. Hatcher
Thu 28 August 2008, 18:01
It will work. A few weeks ago I wired in a switch for my vacuum hold down. Long story short, it's 3 phase and I crossed 2 wires, not a problem except it runs backwards. It lifted my spoil board. The only thing that kept it from floating away was the dowel pins. See last picture this post for dowels http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9629&postcount=258

acssgt01
Fri 29 August 2008, 06:31
In a shop where I used to work we used BarCode to label the parts, it did everything from track the parts to count the customer pieces and updated our procurement ... all ran on Excel spreadsheet.