PDA

View Full Version : stepper motors what brand to use????

chopper
Sat 12 July 2008, 22:01
I have been reading here about the oriental motors and the motion king motors,
I have e-mailed a few of the people who have posted but I never received a reply,
I was wondering if the oriental motors are the ones to be used or if there are alternatives, like the motion king etc... that any one could recommend..
and I was wondering if any one was running the motion king motors?
Thanks //chopper

Richards
Sun 13 July 2008, 06:44
Chopper,

I can only tell you of my experience with Oriental Motors. I've installed dozens of their motors in various process control applications for at least fifteen years. Not one of the motors has ever failed. (I did have one Vexta stepper driver/power supply fail, but never a motor.)

Currently, I've been running various Oriental Motor steppers on my test bench, along with a few motors made by other companies - but not Motion King. The Oriental Motor steppers run smoother and quieter than any other brand motor.

Where I am located, I can buy Oriental Motor steppers at a very reasonable price with same-day shipping. So, for me, I'll use Oriental Motor steppers whenever I need a stepper motor.

chopper
Sun 13 July 2008, 17:41
thanks Mike for the reply,
where is a good place to acquire the said stepper motors?
Thanks//chopper

smreish
Sun 13 July 2008, 18:43
oriental motor (http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/all-categories/pk-series-stepping-motors/pk296a2a-sg7-2?&plpver=11&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0)

chopper, here is the link for one of the models you may choose to use.

chopper
Sun 13 July 2008, 20:16
Thanks, Sean,
is that the motor that you are using on your machine?
//chopper

sailfl
Mon 14 July 2008, 04:16
Chopper,

Oriential Motors are the motors I believe most MM builders are using.

Kobus_Joubert
Mon 14 July 2008, 06:42
I am very happy with the MotionKing steppers that I am using. So far so good..will see as time goes on.

woodfish510
Tue 15 July 2008, 09:32
oriental motor (http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/all-categories/pk-series-stepping-motors/pk296a2a-sg7-2?&plpver=11&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0)

chopper, here is the link for one of the models you may choose to use.

On this motor which gear and rack do you use? 20 or 36 teeth? Also this will work the large X and Y carrage of the mm, but what about the Z axis which one to use there

Gerald D
Tue 15 July 2008, 09:54
Sean is using 20 teeth, most others are using 36 teeth. The MM design will accept all gear sizes in between. The racks do not change. Gears (pinions) are cheap - get different sizes if you are not sure what you want tin the beginning. It doesn't make much practical sense to get a different motor for the z-axis. Get all your motors, drives, voltages, limit resistors, Mach settings the same for all the axes and your chances of making (and finding) mistakes improve a lot! :)

William McGuire
Wed 16 July 2008, 20:57
Mike...
I'm over here near Boise... is your oriental supplier a retailer?

Richards
Wed 16 July 2008, 21:20
Bill,

Anyone living in the United States can order directly from Oriental Motor. Go to www.orientalmotor.com, enter PK296A2A-SG7.2 (or the motor number of your choice), select Item Number as the search criteria, and you'll be taken directly to the page that allows you to order the motors (currently $257.00 each).

By clicking on the motor number and then on More Specifications (PDF), you'll be able to see all of the 34 Size motors with all of their major specifications.

Send me an e-mail if you need any help.

J.R. Hatcher
Thu 17 July 2008, 18:33
Mike what do you think about these motors?

"I found these motors for $55 new but they only have 49. Send me a pm if interested."

http://store.kysanelectronics.com/servlet/Detail?no=68897 (http://store.kysanelectronics.com/servlet/Detail?no=68897)

Richards
Fri 18 July 2008, 07:14
J.R.,

There isn't enough information on that page to know how the motors would compare to other motors. One of the most important pieces of information is the inductance of a motor.

The other pieces of information show that the motor is probably very similar in torque to an Oriental Motor PK296 size motor.

One of the things that I normally do is to thoroughly test certain components and then to use only those components in a device. Since the time to test is significant, I don't often switch to another brand or even another model unless the part that I've already tested had a flaw or weakness that needed to be addressed.

Gerald D
Fri 18 July 2008, 07:34
The Kysanelectronics "welcome" page says: "We specialize in electric motors and electronic components. There are over three thousand products that you can cross to name-brand made by Mabuchi, Johnson Electric, Oriental Motor, Pittman, Panasonic, Potter & Brumfield, Sunon, Nichicon, ECS Inc., and/or Bourns"

you can cross to name-brand made by . . tells me that their stuff can't stand on their own legs and they have to resort to dropping names to move their product. The supplied data is far too little to make a decision.....even if one thought the data may be accurate.

J.R. Hatcher
Fri 18 July 2008, 10:45
Mike and Gerald, thanks for the input, that is good information and reasoning.

Robert M
Fri 18 July 2008, 14:18
Guys,

Earlier this morning I’ve pm to KYSAN asking a full technical data sheet on those 85 & 86mm Nema 34 series.
Will report back when they (hopefully) follow-up / reply !
Later, Robert ;)

Gerald D
Fri 18 July 2008, 20:05
Robert, a company that builds their business on copying the products of other companies, will also copy the data sheets. ;)

Robert M
Sat 19 July 2008, 09:28
Gerald, Excuse my translated interpretation & ignorance… :confused:
I didn’t see that coming :o
Are you suggesting (between line) we should not think Kysan as a trustworthy potential future motor supplier ?:eek:
I (WE) should stick to… Oriantal motors or maybe MotionKing till we know /learn more about others ?
Well, for what it’s worth, I’m still with no news or any reply about my request made yesterday morning to those people !! ?? :cool:
Robert ;)

Gerald D
Sat 19 July 2008, 09:48
I will say directly, not between the lines, do not trust Kysan.

Their marketing approach is exactly the same as somebody offering you a fake Rolex.

Gerald D
Sat 19 July 2008, 11:42
http://www.kysanelectronics.com/Catalog/Catalog.pdf