PDA

View Full Version : Vertical MechMate

dullfig
Thu 27 December 2007, 19:19
Has anyone considered modifying the machine to be mounted vertically against a wall? some people (Me :-D) would rather not take up all that floor space with a machine that essentially has only 4" of Z travel. Other than needing some type of counter weight for one of the axis, can you see any other problem with this idea?

Dan

smreish
Thu 27 December 2007, 19:41
The Guide system on the MM is designed with Gravity holding it on the rails. This style of mechanical guide system is NOT captured like a linear rail. Thus, the machine will not work as currently designed unless flat in the horizontal x/y plane.

dullfig
Thu 27 December 2007, 20:07
So the second change that would have to be made is to rotate the guides 90 degrees so that the gantry is riding on them again, and held by gravity... Any other problems?

smreish
Thu 27 December 2007, 20:19
...without getting inside Gerald's head...my assumptions based on how I am currently building my table, you (might) have to restrain the z axis and counter balance the y car. I will think about this one tonight and add more later. I only know of 2 other machines that are "vertical" tables that actually work well. One is commercially available @ http://www.camtech.ca/products/routers/spacemaker/SpaceOverview.cfm