PDA

View Full Version : The MechMate "Mamba" version has been launched

Gerald D
Fri 09 November 2007, 10:30
As from today, the drawing files on the downloads page (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376) are for the Mamba version of the MechMate. (The Classic has been filed in the archive (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3701&postcount=2))

What makes the Mamba different to the Classic:

Choice of using "BWC" rails or making your own
Extended Z-range from 200 to 250mm [8 to 10"] without increasing flexibility
Optional 350mm [14"] Z-slide
6 rollers on the Z-slide (4 rollers will reduce z-range by 50mm [2"]
Optional motor plates optimised for the geared motors
Details provided for attaching cable chains on Y and Z axis
Details provided for a grinding tool to shape rails
While allowing for the choice of rail types/styles, the rail height was increased by 4mm [3/16"] which can cause some difficulty in mixing a small number of drawings between the Classic and the Mamba.

The Mamba set is being considered as being for a fee in future. I don't know when, if, or how much at this stage.

Thanks to all who have contributed to developing this set of drawings, and a special thanks to those that will prove the drawings - as of today they are still a "Beta" release.

WTI
Fri 09 November 2007, 15:32
Thanks G! They look great.

Many of us have already laser cut the old plans, so I'm sure the next question is what looks like it has to be remade to work with the new plans?

For instance, I will probably want the new motor mounts for the geared motors, but I would like to avoid having to to remake the whole car!

Gerald D
Fri 09 November 2007, 20:37
James, glad to hear that you are impressed!

Broadly speaking, if you are making your own rails and can keep them down to 24mm then most everything is fine. However, putting the "classic" car on the 28mm rails will hinge the motors a bit too far down. ("Too far" means that two screwheads per motor will foul (they can be countersunk to solve) and that the motors hang "skew"). But the machine will run and the performance won't be affected.

Since you would be changing your motor plates, you could make specials that solve the issues. In your situation, I would first use the old motor plates and countersink/hack the screw holes to the gearboxes.

The "mamba" y-car is non-symmetrical - meaning it can only be assembled with one "handing" and the cable chain is forced to the correct corner. Hugo showed me that the old drawings could be confusing and he got his cable chain "in his face".

Basically, the Classic is totally sound. Nothing has been "beefed up" from there. You can use it with confidence (and pride!) :)

javeria
Fri 09 November 2007, 21:38
HI Gerald,

Nice to know about new plans. I have now decided to discard my earlier design and go in the Mamba. FOr that I have already bought the steppers from Keling and G203v's. I will now try to extract as much as possible from the old frame for teh new router, also I found in a Junk yard(very near to my shop) a 9 inch wide C-channel - can i consider this using for the main longitudinal beam as in10 10 322 ,

Meanwhile after going thru teh drawings felt it's just great how good you have made them. Gerald you Rock!

God Bless You Man !

RGDS
IRfan

Gerald D
Fri 09 November 2007, 23:27
Those 9" channels will be fine - you could make a thicker wood table top if it is too much. Thanks for the comments.

javeria
Sat 10 November 2007, 19:23
Hi G,

WHat if we add Laser cut parts for people wanting to use 1:3 reduction thru timing belts. Well- I will try to design them based out of your direct drive parts today evening(will try) and give you a post!

Regards
Irfan

smreish
Sat 10 November 2007, 20:13
Irfan,
My multicam had 3:1 timing belts....and I replaced them every 3-5 months due to stretch and/or breakage. I love the fact that we now can get geared stepper motors and not have to work about other means of reduction for the drive train. Of course, the MechMate is designed around direct drive units to begin with, so if you don't have access to geared units...is it really necessary to want to make a geared reduction unit? Sean

Gerald D
Sat 10 November 2007, 22:43
Irfan, in your case I would really start off with direct drive and start building up the business of getting customers and production. I know you enjoy designing and drawing, but I don't think that should be the most important.

javeria
Sun 11 November 2007, 08:42
Yup G'

Think u are right, i should more concentrate on the build! and have direct drive in the start. Think later i can and will be able to afford teh geared vextas!

THnks for leading me in the right direction!

RGDS
Irfan