PDA

View Full Version : Buy, rent or borrow skate

skypoke
Sat 08 December 2012, 07:45
I have one of the more original Mechmates, with a cutting area of 6' X 20. My rails are less than optimal, we built it before the grinding skate was put into common use. I'd like to touch up those rails to a more accurate grind. If anyone has a skate they aren't using I'd like to get my hands on it. Happy to pay for the accommodation. Unfortunately I never was assigned a serial number but I believe it was around build # 6.

I'm happy to report that my Mech has been bulletproof, even surviving a 300 mile move in one piece on a large boat trailer. Thanks, Chuck Pearson

domino11
Sat 08 December 2012, 08:30
Hey Chuck,
Good to hear you are still around. I thought you had sold your Mechmate when you were moving a while back? Im sure Mike has a set of grinder plates he would sell you to make your own skate. Drop him a pm.

Mike, Chuck should get a serial number now for sure!

skypoke
Sat 08 December 2012, 16:41
Hey Chuck,
Good to hear you are still around. I thought you had sold your Mechmate when you were moving a while back? Im sure Mike has a set of grinder plates he would sell you to make your own skate. Drop him a pm.

Mike, Chuck should get a serial number now for sure!

I briefly entertained the thought of selling it but thought better of it. I ended up moving it away from the coast into another shop, away from the threat of hurricanes. I got some looks towing this substantial machine through the middle of Houston but the boat trailer transport worked out like it was built for it.

Quite frankly, I can't see any inaccuracies induced by my less than perfect rail grind, it's just the compulsive side of me that says "hey, that could be better." I probably should just do as I remember Gerald recommending, some draw filing.

Nice to see the forum active and machines proliferating.

Chuck