PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Stepper motor controller IC

same79
Tue 30 November 2010, 03:23
I am a mechanical engineer and would like to build CNC machine. But for now, I want to know, which stepper motor controller IC I should select. Please help me. I want to use only a simple chip or IC. I want to use this (http://www.compucanjes.com/products/view/14268.html) stepper motor for all axis.

Richards
Tue 30 November 2010, 06:14
A CNC router requires a high-torque motor. Unfortunately, you cannot drive a large machine with a low-torque motor. The single-chip stepper controllers are not meant to be used on a CNC machine; they are more often found in a floppy disk drive or other constant step-rate application. You will need a size-34 motor that produces at least 300 oz*in (if you use a belt-drive transmission) or around 600 oz*in if you use direct drive. The Geckodrive G20x series of stepper drivers (or equivalent) would be the proper type of stepper drivers for a CNC machine.

domino11
Tue 30 November 2010, 11:55
For build it yourself ideas you could see www.pminmo.com. There are some designs available there that might do the job. The Gecko drives Mike mentioned also work very well. :)

Gerald D
Tue 30 November 2010, 12:09
Do we really want to discuss such a small $18 motor on this forum?

EricW
Tue 30 November 2010, 16:30
Do we really want to discuss such a small $18 motor on this forum?

Nope.

bradm
Tue 30 November 2010, 16:45
Well, if we eliminated the v-rails and v-wheels, doubled the racks with one on top and one below, and placed two motors everywhere there used to be a wheel, then got all 28 little motors running in sync ...

... Yeah, I guess we don't have much use for the little motors ;)

MetalHead
Tue 30 November 2010, 16:54
Agreed