PDA

View Full Version : Finding a set of laser cut steel components to build the MechMate

Donald Neisler
Mon 11 December 2006, 19:05
http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203
Link added at top of thread for convenience - GD

The first part of this thread has been archived here:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436

Donald Neisler
Mon 11 December 2006, 19:05
http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203 (http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203%20) Link added at top of thread for convenience - GD

Sounds like I may start building soon.

I was reading the plans and have a question.

10.30.450 - The V-Roller Holes, un slotted, and slotted vertically. What does it mean exactly by this. I don't want to assume anything here?

Gerald_D
Mon 11 December 2006, 21:35
The slotted holes have provision for moving the V-Roller wheel by a tiny amount in the vertical direction. This is in case the Y-Car is slightly twisted after welding it together - then two wheels can be adjusted to make all 4 of them seat firmly on the rails.

Donald Neisler
Tue 12 December 2006, 07:18
That is what I was assuming, but by looking at the drawings I could not confirm that,or I was not thinking right one.

Thanks Gerald.

I am waiting on some laser quotes now.

Donald Neisler
Tue 12 December 2006, 11:51
Got a surprise on my laser quote.
1030422 - $26.XX

All the Cart parts where like $80

I expected alot more here in the US.

Gerald_D
Tue 12 December 2006, 12:24
Yup, lasercut steel can be surprisingly economical http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif. But wait till you see the parts and then you will doubly appreciate it - the accuracy is amazing as well.

DocTanner
Wed 13 December 2006, 09:00
Donald,
I would be greatly interested in your laser cutting supplier. I seem to have trouble finding one interested in doing small quantities.
Thanks

Donald Neisler
Wed 13 December 2006, 20:21
Doc,
It is Heartland Laser, if we ordered together, it would be cheaper. Cause they are charging me $45 programming fee, we could split that and save $22.50 there. I own a business and ship fedex every day, so I could ship out yours easy. I am only about 3 hours from them.

Just a idea,

Email if you want to talk about that
dneisler(at)donald-neisler(dot)com

Donald

Kim Mortensen
Wed 13 December 2006, 23:32
Looking at build cost I think I'm one of the few who are able to do it alot cheaper than most of you guys. I have access to a laser cutter myself at work, This brings down my cost of cutting the lasercut pieces to an absolute zero as I also can get pieces of metal for free. WOW nice right. Then on top of that I get procentage of steel at my dads work where they also can saw and bend a few more things for me. And the processing is also almost free of charge, only the steel I will have to pay for. Nuts and bolts washers and so on I can get for free. So I'm thinking that my cost of the entire machine will be anywhere from 2-4.000$ Or below 3.000 Euros. Kind a nice right,... Just a little showoff I am... If anyone is situated in Denmark then I can lasercut for you at a very very low price....

vadeem
Thu 14 December 2006, 00:52
Donald, lets split it some more and really get crazy. I'll go in on 2 sets maybe 3.

I see they do bending too, so you might as well add that in also.

Our local guys were quoting around $125 USD, for the 1st set, including programing. They said each additional set was a magnitude cheaper. If we can get a few more people on board, we should be able to all save some real money.

Thanks

John Fredriksen
Thu 14 December 2006, 06:16
I will committ to one set. I am in Jasper, IN so shipping should be reasonable.

Cheers,
John

Donald Neisler
Thu 14 December 2006, 07:54
Anyone interested in a set send me a email. I am working with them today and tomorrow on getting a quote for a complete set of parts together.

NOTE: They do not do the bending.

Vadeem,
Your quote for $125 for all sounds cheap. Mine was for $117 for just the main Cart parts.

Gerald,

Do you have a exact list of what is needed by qty. I know I have the dxf files but it doesn't state how many of each is needed with out going through the plans. I want have time to do that till tonight. If you have that, or someone for that matter I can get started today.

Thanks

Gerald_D
Thu 14 December 2006, 08:18
2 off 10 20 454, 5mm or 3/16" thick
4 off 10 20 456, 3mm or 1/8" thick
1 off 10 30 422, 2mm thick or 14 gauge
2 off 10 30 450, 5mm or 3/16"
2 off 10 30 455, 4mm or 5/32" thick
1 off 10 40 432, 4mm or 5/32" thick
1 off 10 40 434, 6mm or 1/4" thick
4 off M5 10 312, 6mm or 1/4" thick
1 off M5 10 322, 6mm or 1/4" thick

Donald Neisler
Thu 14 December 2006, 14:00
Man...they can't get me a quote till tomorrow the guy who does the quotes is out today.

As I mentioned just email any interested and I can see if we can get a group by cheaper.

Thanks Gerald for the breakdown above, made it alot easier.

Donald Neisler
Fri 15 December 2006, 13:48
Well not getting the numbers today, but they have cut one set so far....said the parts look great. They told me I should have the price monday for sure. Sorry to keep you guys waiting. I believe we are up to 5 sets, so we should get a pretty good deal I think if no one backs out.

The only drawback I have seen from this company is they do NOT do any bending.

Donald Neisler
Mon 18 December 2006, 11:47
ok, I got the pricing. I am finalizing some details and figuring out what i would cost per set and then i will let you know.

It looks good to me so far :-)

Bob Cole
Mon 18 December 2006, 13:52
Don:
I am located in N.E. Ohio near the PA. border. I would be interested in getting a set of these parts also, if that is still available.
sincerly,
Bob C.

Please let me know what the costs would be for all the parts for the carriage and engine mounts etc. Anything that you would be getting laser cut. bending will not be a problem for me, IF your people aren't available to bend.

Donald Neisler
Mon 18 December 2006, 14:11
Bob I am still working on the numbers. I have a quote for a single set and a set of 5-10 and trying to get the price right with them.

I should have more info later today or tomorrow. I know I am ready to order mine asap and counting bob if everyone wants a set that is 7 set so I hope we can get a good deal. Shipping will be the worst I think due to weight. I personally will drive and pick them up to save freight to me.

Gerald_D
Mon 18 December 2006, 14:14
The weight of one set should be 20.4kg or 45 lbs before any packaging or crating is added.

Donald Neisler
Mon 18 December 2006, 19:21
Good info Gerald. I am trying to figure out how to ship it the best, cheapest. Any suggestions.

Once I get that, and a final reply from the cutter I will have prices out. I am estimating/Guesstimateing $175 + Shipping.

Does that sound decent or am I wasting my time? As I said it is a guestimate, still waiting on info.

Bob Cole
Mon 18 December 2006, 20:24
Don:
If I see this correctly you are talking about (18) seperate parts of varying weights. ALL laser cut to exact dimentions per Geralds plans, Correct? Steel supplied by the laser cutter, Correct? If that is correct, then your Guestimate of $175.00 plus shipping seems fair to me. If someone else sees it differently let them speak up NOW, or forever hold your tongue..
I'm in. Bob C.

Donald Neisler
Mon 18 December 2006, 21:06
You are correct. Again, this is a estimate, still waiting on exact info. They misunderstood some of the things i asked for so we are working on the final information.

I honestly expected it to cost $500 myself so I am happy. :-)

Thomas M. Rybczyk
Tue 19 December 2006, 04:45
Don,
You can add me to the list if it's still open.
I am located in New Jersey Zip 08029.

Thanks,
Tom

Donald Neisler
Tue 19 December 2006, 07:22
Wow, approaching 10 sets. Never expected this many :-)

I hope to know more later today.
Anyone have shipping ideas? I would use Fedex Ground due to I get good rates with them, cheaper than UPS for sure. Just thinking about what and how to package this 50#'s of metal in a box or ?

Gerald_D
Tue 19 December 2006, 08:41
If the parts are bent, the biggest part is the Y-car plate 1030422B and all the othe parts fit inside of that. A tall_tower_PC's box will hold it all.

Donald Neisler
Tue 19 December 2006, 09:22
The Parts are not bent.

I just got a second quote for a single set, as I checked a couple places. $425 + Shipping.

WOW, this $175 is looking sweet now.

Wayne Painter
Tue 19 December 2006, 10:28
Donald,
I just found out about this.
Am I too late to get in on this?
If not, I would like to place an order for one as well.
I am in Alaska, but shipping would be ground to Seattle to Barge Lines and then up here.

Where are you getting them bent? Cost to bend?

Let me know.

Thankx,
Wayneo

fabrica
Tue 19 December 2006, 10:56
You guys on the other side of the pond (as the Europens define you) you are a priviledged lot. You guys could do bulk buying. Don't ask me as to how much I spent on my laser cut parts (I am writing this with tears in my eyes).

So good so far, My table and gantry is almost compled. I am thinking of finishing of the total project by the first week of Janaury. Comissioning of the machine would start their after (which I assume is the most difficult part). I hope by that time I have at least a few of you guys being in the same stage of development.

Donald Neisler
Tue 19 December 2006, 14:55
ok I have some numbers, not totally what I was hoping for but....

Each set will be $225 + shipping to you.
If you are close to me, you may pick up with arrangments too.

If you would like them bent it will be extra. I will work on that price when I get a firm/paid commitment from everyone.

$225 compared to the $400+ I got is a good deal.

If you have emailed me previously, I will be getting you emails with info out later today as well.

Wayne, not to late yet....

Donald Neisler
Tue 19 December 2006, 16:42
I am working bending $'s now, and with bending and shipping I am trying to get to each of you for under $300. I am working with each in private email on the exact numbers. Any one else please let me know if they need a set, probably a week before I start the order process just to make sure it is all correct.

Donald Neisler
Wed 20 December 2006, 10:27
Ok, I got final numbers in.

$225/$285
Plus Shipping.

I have done 2 quotes using Geralds Estimate 45# weight and charges have been $35 + depending on location.

You can order here from by normal business. You can use Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or PayPal.

PayPal is prefered due to the charge me less fees.

https://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=1203

I plan on ordering the parts as soon as possible.

Donald Neisler
Thu 21 December 2006, 14:36
Production has started on the sets. You still have a few days to order if you want a set though. Just email me and let me know ASAP.

Donald Neisler
Tue 26 December 2006, 08:42
First run is full now. If any one else needs/wants a set email and I get you more details.

Thanks Everyone.

dneisler
Thu 28 December 2006, 11:06
Wow, first 7 sets are ready to be shipped to me then off to the bending people. The remaining sets for everyone are about a week behind.

Anyone has questions just let me know.

Thanks

David Rosenbleeth
Sat 30 December 2006, 09:35
Regarding: The "parts quantities and list". There are a couple of minor parts for the z slide assembly that are not in the dxf files yet. Namely the strut bracket and the z spring anchor. They are in the PDFs. These are quite easy to cut and machine from some square cut stock and the bending, etc. does not appear to be too critical in dimensioning and tolerances, but if the job is being done by a laser cutter and bender, one might as well let them do them at the same time as the rest of the shaped parts.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish all a very happy, safe, and peaceful New Year.

I look forward to assembling the new gantry, car, and slide for my bot in the coming year and sharing it's cutting results with all.

Dave

joe
Mon 01 January 2007, 20:32
Is there a picture you can provide on the website, or here of the cut parts you are getting made?

Thanks, Joe

Gerald_D
Mon 01 January 2007, 21:22
Dave, the final dimensioning on those parts depend on the springs (gas and wire) available to you. They are very simple to make at home once you have checked out your springs.

Thanks for the new year's wishes, and the same to you.

dneisler
Tue 02 January 2007, 06:52
As soon as I see the parts come in I will snap a pic for everyone.

dneisler
Wed 03 January 2007, 14:33
I have a palet of parts here, all very nice looking. I just dropped them off to be bent. They said hopefully 2 days to have them done.

Can't wait to get started on mine :-)

Gerald_D
Wed 03 January 2007, 23:20
And the chant starts up in the arena.....PIC_tures_PIC_tures_PIC_tures.....http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif

Bill McGuire
Thu 04 January 2007, 16:47
Thanks much for gettiing those parts cut, Donald... and thanks again to you too, Gerald, for all your work...
Bill McGuire

dneisler
Fri 05 January 2007, 10:42
Gerald,

Quick Question...

My bending people are trying to finish up the parts and are having issues with the litte ears that stick off the Z spider plate.

It appears they are for limit switchs/stops etc.

They are asking if they grind then partially through the bend mark bend manually and tig weld them in place. Something about they can't get them in there machine to bend correctly.

Gerald_D
Fri 05 January 2007, 11:37
I g-clamp a bit of steel behind the bend and then hammer them over. Literally takes 2 minutes, a hammer, g-clamp and chunk of steel about the same weight as the hammer with a square corner. (They are right - those bends don't fit in a standard bender).

dneisler
Fri 05 January 2007, 12:11
I talked to them again, they are going to try that, if they can't they can do it there way. They assured me you want even hardly be able to tell the difference between the two. These guys do this stuff everyday so I tend to listen them more than my thoughts. Just trying to get a good product out to the guys here.

Gerald_D
Fri 05 January 2007, 12:24
The notch&weld process is technically okay, but maybe over-complicated (expensive?) for the end result.

dneisler
Fri 19 January 2007, 07:47
Due to a small mishap, the first and second batchs are combined now.
I have 7 kits minus one part ready to ship. There is a part that was to be bent in mirrors, your guessed they didn't. I got 7 rights. Luckily I have 7 more kits coming, should be here next week early and we are bending those all Lefts and we should be good from there.

I hope to have them shipped possibly next week.

Gerald_D
Fri 19 January 2007, 08:34
Those mirror parts are not essential at all. Maybe I should take that comment off the drawing....

dneisler
Fri 19 January 2007, 10:38
Interesting. From quick memory, wouldn't it put the motors at two different places? I don't think that would be a issue either, but I want to get them out perfect as possible.

Gerald_D
Fri 19 January 2007, 11:17
The x-motor pinions are on the center of the gantry. Looking at an x-motor, the hinge bolt would be on left and the spring to the right. Or something like that.....

If the bent parts are mirrored, then both x-motor hinges are towards X=0 and the springs are towards X=max.

If the parts are not mirrored, one end of the gantry has the motor spring to x=0 and the other spring to x=max, but looking at the motors from their backs, the springs are on the same side.

As I said, the motor pinions are center, so there is no functional difference.

Where it might make a difference in the future is when we develop a standard wiring method or wiring harness, but this is still a very vague area.....

Gerald_D
Mon 29 January 2007, 11:13
I am totally surprised at the supposed lack of laser/profile cutting facilities in places like Sri-Lanka, India, Pakistan, etc.

A little bit of googling only proves to me that Google isn't very good at locating such facilities - a search on "laser cut steel cape town" did not quickly show me any of the 5 machines owned by 4 companies here.

As a challenge, I am on a mission to find a laser/waterjet profile cutter in Pakistan. Nearest I've found so far is "Trident Support" in Dubai UAE.

Iran: AHMADI INDUSTRIAL GROUP)

Stephen Hull
Mon 29 January 2007, 14:11
http://www.naukri.com/gpw/rishi/final/index.htm Hi Gerald,
Yahoo search turned up Rishi Laser Cutting Limited, located through out india. On my search, it was the 4th item.

Stephen

Hugo Carradini
Sat 03 February 2007, 15:20
¿Are there any pictures yet?
Regards

dneisler
Fri 09 February 2007, 12:02
Ok, I have both first and second batch complete and in my hands. I just spent $70 on boxes to box these things up in. Plan on boxing this weekend and Fedex to pick them up monday.

Gerald_D
Fri 09 February 2007, 12:20
Can we beg you for some pictures? http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif

(Mail them to me (gerald(at)mechmate(dot)com) and I'll post them for you)

dneisler
Fri 09 February 2007, 18:18
I will try to get some for you.

Congrats Wayne Painter Kit #1 Shipped Today.
47# of Goodies!

FYI The shipping cost was $42 for this one. :-)

I need about 4 more people before I can order Batch #3 if anyone wants a set.

Hugo Carradini
Fri 09 February 2007, 20:10
dneisler I will be ready for an answer Tuesday. Right know I am moving my shop and that is a hell of a mess but I don't want to loose this opportunity so put me in your list and I will confirm Tuesday.
I really hope this can grow and you can continue sending those kits. I am really counting with that great opportunity you are giving.

dneisler
Sat 10 February 2007, 11:47
Highest shipping so far was $50, still I was expecting some to higher. I have 5 shipped till I ran out of peanuts and stuff. Gotta get more of those.

Gerald_D
Sat 10 February 2007, 12:11
Took me a while to figure out these (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD:2005-07%2CGGLD:en&q=fill%20foam%20peanuts&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi) are the peanuts http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif

Hugo Carradini
Sat 10 February 2007, 17:15
OK Donald. No more waiting. I will be ordering tonight. ¿How long do you think will take sending it to mi address in Miami?
Thanks

Hugo Carradini
Sat 10 February 2007, 18:36
Donald It looks like my Pay Pal account is having system problems so I use my regular Visa Card. Is there is any extra payment just let me know.
Gerald check one more. The family keeps growing.

Russ schoenberger
Sun 11 February 2007, 09:15
Hello is it to late to get in on the group buy on the laser cut parts. I have been looking for a sorce for getting this done local. But have had no luck yet.
Thanks

reza forushani
Sun 11 February 2007, 12:34
Dennis

I think it is worth having some sets in stock.
Looks like you are going to get a lot of orders and if you have them, the can shipped quickly

dneisler
Sun 11 February 2007, 16:06
Not too late, I need 6 people to commit and I will start on batch #3. As for time it really depends on the laser cutter. If he can do them in a week, than I would say two weeks, but this last batch took alot longer due to laser guy was behind, and the bending guy made a mistake. Hope the 3rd batch is faster. I am taking orders still. I think I have 3-4 commited so far, so batch #3 will start real soon it looks like.

dneisler
Wed 14 February 2007, 10:40
I still need 3 more orders for parts before I can send it in to be cut.

Wayne Painter
Wed 14 February 2007, 12:54
Hi Donald,
By chance are you doing a bulk buy on the bearings or any other parts? Anyone else doing bulk buy on the bearings (in the U.S.)?

Thanks,

Wayneo

dneisler
Thu 15 February 2007, 07:44
I am not, I have got to much other stuff going on right now. I think Brian has gotten us a good deal on ordering the Bearings. I would ask him and can give you the details.

Loren Gameros
Fri 16 February 2007, 12:14
Hi, I was wondering which parts are being laser cut?

James Webster
Fri 16 February 2007, 13:20
Loren, look at this post to see what you get:

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1510&postcount=3

Gerald_D
Fri 16 February 2007, 14:44
Loren, it is all the drawings with a P at the end of the number.

Hugo Carradini
Sat 17 February 2007, 06:19
Donald, that laser cut parts kit looks nice. Come on guys, just three more for Batch #3.

Jay Waters
Tue 20 February 2007, 06:11
Okay, I'm in! Make that just two more.

Hugo Carradini
Tue 20 February 2007, 12:04
Good Jay. I hope we can get two more soon.

dneisler
Tue 20 February 2007, 19:05
Ok we have 6, anyone else that wants in on this batch please order soon, I plan on turning this order in Monday if at all possible. I should have a bettter ETA at that point.

Donald Neisler

Stephen Hull
Tue 20 February 2007, 19:09
Hi Donald,
I just recieved my laser cut and bent parts. They are A+ and your effort in getting this done is really appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!
Stephen

dneisler
Tue 20 February 2007, 20:41
Thanks Stephen.
Learned alot from this little adventure :-)

Thomas M. Rybczyk
Wed 21 February 2007, 05:46
Hello Donald,

Just as Stephen's post above, my parts have arrived and I would like to thank you for doing such a great job.

It was a pleasure dealing with you.

Thanks again,

Tom

Gerald_D
Wed 21 February 2007, 08:12
Donald, folk are asking me:
- where can they contact you?
- what is the price per set?
- bending included?
- shipping costs?
- whether a set is sufficient for one MechMate, or whether multiple sets are needed?

Would you mind giving a summary here please?

dneisler
Wed 21 February 2007, 08:44
- where can they contact you?
via sales at donalds-hobby dot com

You can order here:
http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203 (http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203%20)

- what is the price per set?
$225 unbent, $285 $399.99 bent

- bending included?
Optional. Yes

- shipping costs?
I have seen as low as $30 and as high as $60 so far.

- whether a set is sufficient for one MechMate, or whether multiple
sets are needed?
One Set per MechMate being built.

I think this covers most of it. Let me know if there is others.

Gerald_D
Wed 21 February 2007, 09:03
Thanks Donald.

I am also about to have some sets cut & bent here in Cape Town. Locals can contact me if they are interested. Prices similar to Donald's

Russ schoenberger
Thu 22 February 2007, 16:37
Donald
Just sent payment for the parts.
Can't wait to start building this monster.

Thanks Russ

Bill McGuire
Thu 22 February 2007, 17:09
Hi Donald...
Just received my parts yesterday... those lasers can sure cut smoothly.
thanks much
BTW: the shipping up here in Idaho came to $35, I believe...

dneisler
Thu 22 February 2007, 17:58
Looks we got 8 more builders. I am ordering so far 8 more kits Monday. If you still want a set on this batch, please order ASAP as I am sending in the order on Monday.

Gerald_D
Thu 22 February 2007, 22:08
Donald, I am going to try and change one or two tiny details on the drawings by Sunday night. Nothing that will affect fit or function.

The one change is on the spider plate where the 4 holes for the V-roller are engraved with "crosshairs". There is a note on the drilling drawing to double-check those positions before center-punching, but this has tripped up at least one person. The actual hole positions depend on the source of V-roller and whether it is a 100mm or 4" Z-slide. Bottom line is that I want to put more hairs in that cross....

Does anyone else know of improvements/errors in the profile/laser drawings?

dneisler
Fri 23 February 2007, 07:31
Ok Gerald.

If I recall they are just engraving the crosshairs so unless you change there actual positions it want affect the cutting at all. Thanks for letting me know becuase I have not been able to keep up the forum much lately.

If there is any other changes please let me know.

Russ schoenberger
Fri 23 February 2007, 17:04
Gerald / Donald
Are all the motor mounts being engraved or cut for both direct drive and gear reduction? I'm asking becouse I am planning on using gear reduction
Thanks Russ

Gerald_D
Fri 23 February 2007, 21:18
Yes, all the motor mounts being engraved or cut for both direct drive and gear reduction.

Richard Hemingway
Sat 24 February 2007, 01:55
Is there anybody in the UK who would like to try and get laser parts cut in the UK and avoid the $175 for shipping to the UK.

OR is there anyone in the UK who has already had laser parts cut and could put me in touch with the company that did the cutting.

OR are you on your way to the UK from Paris, Texas 75460 and could collect a package from Donald's Hobby Center....................

Gerald_D
Sat 24 February 2007, 04:27
Maybe Kim can help with laser cutting in Europe? See his thread (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175).

phil bizley
Sat 24 February 2007, 12:20
Hi everybody,I'm Phil bizley and am a newbie.i have been watching this great forum for many weeks now. and have just ordered the laser cut parts here in the UK.Bristol they are costing me about £200.00 including bending, the company is just around the corner from me and it's called laserline engineering ltd.if anyone wants the email address i can post it here.Gerald this is by far the best site i have come across.Keep up the good work.Phil

Gerald_D
Sat 24 February 2007, 13:06
Welcome Phil! We need a more vocal barmy army here...http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/clipart/happy.gif

lee underwood
Sat 24 February 2007, 16:26
hi phil i startin to make a machine in norwich and have had problems getting prices or finding parts in the uk, like motors and boards, i newbie too. have you got a price for rest of the metal too cause i tryin to get a total cost before i start funding the project.

phil bizley
Sun 25 February 2007, 07:56
Hi Gerald,It's good to be on board.
Lee, I get my metal from a local firm in Avonmouth.Bristol Steel stockholders ltd.and motors are from MotionControl in Bournmouth,I found them on ebay. And have used them for all my motors, and just started using there drivers
The rest comes from the USA, it's half the price of the UK.Phil

Manjeet Singh
Mon 26 February 2007, 05:48
Hi all,

I am able to find a local source for laser cutting around my place. He has quoted me around.175 $ for one complete set without bending and the other shop quoted 35$ for bending. I have ordered two sets I hope they will reach me with a weeks time. I will load Pics of those when I recieve them.

Manjeet

dneisler
Mon 26 February 2007, 09:15
Ok, 9 more kits are now ordered. Right now the laser cutter says he should be able to finish them by the end of the week. So this should put the eta about 2 weeks for everyone. This is of course subject to change.

Kim Mortensen
Mon 26 February 2007, 10:31
This is the kit i deliver. it contains all the lasercut parts, plus the gauge plate for the z axis. Price is 140Euro's or £100 UK. +shipment.
Payment up front either via bank transfer, og paypal. And yes, the spider plate is bent. I can also deliver bent, at a cost of £50 uk, or 70 Euros giving a final price of either £150 UK or 210 Euros + Shipment.

http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/2/3558.jpg

Gerald_D
Mon 26 February 2007, 10:50
Amazing how we suddenly have lots of possibilities!

Looking at Kim's pic, you must admit that you get a heck of a lot of value for the price.

Hope everyone noticed that slightly revised drawings were released yesterday?

Kim, that Z-plate might not be as hard as the "tool steel" gauge plate. Do you use something special for the steel, and is it totally flat after the heat of the laser? I am sure it will work 100% but some perfectionists might want the special steel and precision.

Kim Mortensen
Mon 26 February 2007, 10:55
Gerald, I can deliver in TOOL Steel that will not warp during hardening, but for now I'm delivering in mild steel. i could also use domex 650 steel it is very durabel and very hard. The gauge plate is not grinded so the 2 45 degree angles you need to find someone else to make..
If the gauge plate needs to be delivered in TOOL Steel the price will change as this is very expensive. Domex 650 is the same price.

Kim Mortensen
Mon 26 February 2007, 10:58
Oh, and the spider plate i saw that was changes should not be a problem, cause the holes for the V-Rollers are not cut, så people can make them with ease where ever they want to have them. These spider plates are marked for the size 3 rollers. I'm currently in the progress of finding out what the price for the rollers should be from me including the bearings. not pressed in though... You guys must do somethings your selves... LOL

Gerald_D
Mon 26 February 2007, 12:01
That Swedish Domex 650 is very tough stuff! But, it will be very difficult to cut the countersink holes.

Kim Mortensen
Mon 26 February 2007, 12:08
there is many more choises. I can cut it in Domex 355, 420, 600 or 650

reza forushani
Mon 26 February 2007, 17:07
Just got my parts. Thanks Dennis

Kim Mortensen
Tue 27 February 2007, 11:28
Finally, I have a price indluding P&P to the UK...

The Price for one complete set, including the Gaugeplate is £175 delivered to your dorrstep anywhere in the UK...

Greg J
Thu 15 March 2007, 18:11
Just order my laser cut parts. Its hard to find quality in the desert of New Mexico.

This is one great forum everyone.

dneisler
Tue 20 March 2007, 10:55
Due to a couple of people giving me grief about my service with the parts, I will be rasing the price or discontinuing it totally. I guess some people do not understand I was only doing this to help people out and not making a profit doing it.

So at this time, I will be taking orders for parts for batch #3 at current pricing only until Friday. After that it is going up to $350 bent. If any one has questions, please email me.

Gerald,
Sorry about raising the price, but I am sure you understand my side as well.

Kim Mortensen
Tue 20 March 2007, 13:17
Dneisler:: What has been thr trouble with the parts since people have been giving you grief on that area..???

Loren Gameros
Tue 20 March 2007, 13:22
I just ordered my laser cut parts, I am excited! Thanks for all your help Don.

dneisler
Tue 20 March 2007, 14:20
No trouble with the parts at all, just other issues. People want the world and they do not understand or realize I am doing all this for free and giving my time for free. I just wanted to help the group and the cause. I don't even have a set of parts for me yet cause I sold mine to help a fellow forum member out.

David Rosenbleeth
Tue 20 March 2007, 15:34
I believe Don was dealing with a couple of people who operate under the assumption that once they decide they want something they want it "NOW". As people who deal with customers like that on a regular basis in our industry, you would think we would learn to restrain ourselves from being that way. That type of person is also often inclined to accept favors offered as if they had paid a premium price for rush delivery. The best response to that type of buyer is:
Forget it and tell them good luck you!!!

Greg J
Tue 20 March 2007, 15:58
dneisler,
I have placed an order and was happy to find your service. People should try living 3 to 4 hours away from any major industral center.
Thank You for your help,
Greg J.

Kim Mortensen
Tue 20 March 2007, 16:18
Well said David....

James Webster
Tue 20 March 2007, 19:49
Don,

I thought your service was great.

We could not have got the work done any quicker locally, and we ARE in a huge industrial center - Detroit.

Don't let a few idiots get to you.

I had figured you were making SOME money on the deal. If you did it just to help us all out, THANK YOU AN EXTRA VERY MUCH!!!

Jay Waters
Tue 20 March 2007, 19:58
dneisler,

Just wanted to say thanks for all that you do and have done for us wanna-be cncers. I too have placed my order and have not received anything yet, but I am in no hurry and I am definitely not worried. If I was, I'd go buy me a running machine somewhere. It's unbelievable how very rude someone can be when it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that dneisler couldn't be making a profit on these items. The price is fantastic, and the enabling factor that allows me to get one step closer to building a machine is priceless. I say refund the gripers money and tell them to go somewhere else where maybe they'll get things handed to them for free. Okay, I guess that's enough said so I'll climb down off my soapbox. It just gets my feathers ruffled how some people can act when you're doing them a favor. Oh yeah, dneisler, if you have to raise the price go for it, and if you need to charge extra, tack it on cause I'm gonna have me a Mechmate one day!! Nuff said.

David, such eloquence in so few words!! Couldn't be stated any better than that

dneisler
Wed 28 March 2007, 10:57
Just wanted to let everyone know I have recieved the parts from the laser people, which I might add where very slow this time, and just dropped them off to be bent. I should be shipping them next week.

Thanks
and sorry for the delays

Donald

Greg J
Wed 28 March 2007, 11:13
Donald,
Thanks for the update.

Greg

jeff barton
Wed 28 March 2007, 15:21
I have acess to a laser and forming. I want to build a cnc router can I work out a trade?

Kim Mortensen
Thu 29 March 2007, 05:15
jeff what is it you want to trade..??

Jeff Barton
Thu 29 March 2007, 06:55
Kim
I don't know what do I need to get started.

Kim Mortensen
Thu 29 March 2007, 11:57
You download the plans from this forum, then you can build your very own Mechmate from those plans...
If you have access to a laser, and a bending machine then you are of to a good start...

For all the other needs, look through the forum, there are many people inhere willing to help you out if you have any questions.

dneisler
Tue 03 April 2007, 10:48
Well just when I thought things where going to smooth out.....

About 7:30AM this morning I get a call from the people doing the forming work on the parts telling me they haid screwed up the Spider plate on all 12 kits I had being done.

<scream>

So I have ordered 12 more spider plates, and trying to find out exactly when I have them here to finish this order.

If any one wants me to ship what I have minus the spider plate, and send it seperate let me know and I will do so, otherwise I will send it all complete.

I am sorry that is taking so long, but seems like everything I do lately is twice as hard for some reason and takes twice as long. Again, sorry the delay, but I will get the parts out ASAP.

Gerald_D
Tue 03 April 2007, 11:01
Unfortunately, that is one of the reasons I called it the spider plate - it bit me as well. (Actually, it started with six "feet", but the name stuck)

christipher saint denis
Tue 03 April 2007, 11:08
Donald,
Sorry to hear about that. Thanks for all your effort. I am in no rush for any mechanical parts. It's bound to take me another month just to get the electrical side of things squared away. On a positive note I have not blown anything up yet!

Thanks again,
Christopher

Kim Mortensen
Tue 03 April 2007, 12:09
The Spider plate is a funny plate... But I have made a couple, and I have only made 2 wrong, the rest is allright... but very irritating when you find out that the small pieces to bend is bent the wrong way... :-D

Gerald_D
Tue 03 April 2007, 12:18
Kim, and Donald, is there something I can do to the drawing to make it clearer?

I have a very special set of tools for bending the small points: Piece of scrap steel, a g-clamp and a 1kg [2 lb] hammer - clamp the scrap behind the bend and smack the point over with 4.5 blows of the hammer. Ever wanted to smack a spider with a hammer?

Greg J
Tue 03 April 2007, 12:54
Don,

I'm along way from needing those parts.
Again, thanks for the update.

Greg

Arthur Ransom
Tue 03 April 2007, 13:13
Donald I am the master of spending a week to do a one day job. Unfourtunitly I understand all too well. Can you please send me what you have. It will be at least 2 weeks before I need the spider plate.

Loren Gameros
Tue 03 April 2007, 13:22
Hi Don,

Please do whatever is the most economical for you.
I am just glad that to have you making them to begin with!!!

Loren

Jeff Barton
Tue 03 April 2007, 14:17
send me a pdf of the spiderplate and I'll see what I can do

dneisler
Tue 03 April 2007, 14:30
Gerald,
I think it was basically, a cheap labor issue, that wasn't paying attention is what caused the problem, not your drawings.

Art,
As soon as I have the rest, I will get yours sent out without the spider plate.

Kevin Campton
Wed 04 April 2007, 08:04
Donald, No hurry on my set... Thanks for helping me out...

Kevin

Jay Waters
Wed 04 April 2007, 09:34
No hurries here either. I'll see them when they arrive!

Jay

Kim Mortensen
Wed 04 April 2007, 15:39
Gerald.. The drawings are fine, it's just one needs to pay attention to what one is doing and not rushing the bends. I used a table mounted clamp (or what ever it is called) and then I just pulled until it was bent 90 degrees.

Arthur Ransom
Fri 06 April 2007, 17:01
Got my laser cut parts in today and they are great!! Took me about 2 seconds to decide they were the best buy I have had in a long time.

dneisler
Sat 07 April 2007, 08:49
I have the spider plates now complete....should be shipping the remaining off Monday.

dneisler
Sun 08 April 2007, 14:13
All pending orders are boxed, and labled ready to be picked up by fedex. I am waiting on shipping payment on a couple that paid via paypal. If you are one of those yours will go out as soon as payment is recieved, all others ship Monday.

Thanks again to everyone, and sorry for the delay.

As of right now, I have one set for the next batch, and alot of people asking. I need at least 6 to process the orders.

Thanks

Russ schoenberger
Thu 12 April 2007, 17:07
Just recieved my laser cut parts today. Everything looks great. Can't wait for it to warm up outside. Mother Nature just dumped 7 inces of snow here . Now I'm a kid waiting in line for the candy store to open up.

Gerald and Donald thanks so much for the help that you have and will be giving us.

dneisler
Mon 16 April 2007, 09:35
Ordering more today, if you need a set let me know ASAP.

I am actually ordering me a set now... :-)

Jay Waters
Tue 17 April 2007, 15:08
Donald,

Received my parts last week sometime. Couldn't open them for a few days. I finally opened the box today, and wow, they are superb in every way. Thank you again for providing this opportunity to us fellow "Mechmaters".

Marc Shlaes
Tue 17 April 2007, 15:35
Donald,

I would like to order a set sometime around the third week in May. I hope there will be a group on about that timeframe. Where are you on the current order? Did you get the six sets you need? If not, I might be able to squeeze that out of my "slush fund". Translated, that means "the money squirreled away so my wife doesn't yell at me every time I buy a new tool."

dneisler
Tue 17 April 2007, 15:53
Yeah, I can squeeze you in if you order ASAP.

After Tomorrow, I am starting taking orders for the Next Batch.....I have held price at the $225/285 price still for now.

Marc Shlaes
Wed 18 April 2007, 07:39
Donald,

I think I am going to have to wait until next time. Slush fund won't cut it this month. Can you keep me advised on when you think the next one will be. I'll watch your posts. Thanks tons!

dneisler
Sat 21 April 2007, 16:10
Next batch looks to be in from the laser cutters early this next week.....Alot faster than the last batches....

Chuck Pearson
Sun 29 April 2007, 10:53
I'd like to get in for a set of parts if possible. Can I paypal you for em or is there an area of the forum where I can place an order? Thanks for making all of this available, I've been agonizing over design for months. Regards, Chuck

dneisler
Tue 01 May 2007, 10:52
Here is the link to order. I only charge you when the order it sent to the laser cutter and I only send them in orders of 6 sets. So it could take a bit to get you a set.

http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203

Hugo Carradini
Thu 03 May 2007, 08:37
Hello Donald.
I just receive my laser cut parts and want to thank you. Every thing came out nice, parts look very well cut. It is and enormous help for people like me, very far away from laser cutting technology.
Hugo Carradini

dneisler
Wed 09 May 2007, 13:16
Next batch shipping today....

I have one getlemen on the waiting list for the next batch. I need 5 more before I can order.

Marc Shlaes
Wed 09 May 2007, 16:12
Donald,

I'm that gentleman. Please keep me advised.

Thanks tons.

joe mclain
Thu 10 May 2007, 20:08
Donald,
I got your email yesterday, Sound good!!
If Mark is in the batch with me...
Three more Gentlemen Please Order Up.

Joe Mc

David Cousins
Sun 13 May 2007, 22:03
If I may ask a question about cost. On the order page, there a option called bending, with an asterisk indicating it's a mandatory option. Yet, the software seems to allow one to omit the bending.

Greg J
Sat 19 May 2007, 14:08
Donald,

I just returned from a week of work in Wyoming. My laser cut parts have arrived and so far everything looks great.

Thanks for all your help, excellent value and quality.

Greg

Loren Gameros
Mon 21 May 2007, 10:18
Hi Don,

Have parts in hand and I am very happy. Thanks for all your hard work. I will start welding today!:cool:

dneisler
Mon 21 May 2007, 10:29
I am ordering the next batch tomorrow. If you want a set order ASAP.

Thanks to all.

David S
Mon 21 May 2007, 17:09
Donald, received my cut parts today every thing looks great!
Thank you for your time and effort, it really helps.

David

Doug_Ford
Tue 22 May 2007, 10:27
I got my parts late last week. They looked great. Thanks a million Don.

dneisler
Wed 06 June 2007, 07:09
I have the next batch in my hands, and will be taking them to be bent today. So I should have them end of week hopefully.

dneisler
Fri 15 June 2007, 10:45
Kits #30 thru #36 are shipping today, or at least what I can get done.

dneisler
Wed 27 June 2007, 07:55
New price, $399.99 a set + shipping thanks to some difficult people.

I was doing this as a service, not making any money doing so, and they want to take advantage of my time and effort. That has come to a stop.

domino11
Fri 06 July 2007, 07:33
Donald,
Sorry to hear people are making this difficult for you. I havent ordered yet but was relieved to hear you were doing this service for everyone. I could easily see that you were doing it non gratis. I hope to start getting my parts as soon as the better half oks the whole deal. Seems like life always dictates I have only one thing at a time, either time or money but never both.

soulvoid
Mon 20 August 2007, 12:51
Hi,

does anyone know how to contact Kim Mortensen? PM does not work(I get a message saying he hasn't registered). Interested in shipping cost for the lasercut parts from Denmark to Norway.

On a second note, does anyone have a dxf file containing all the lasercut parts layed out, ready for cutting. Would be much easier to approach the CNC companies with something like that (or maybe better yet a g-code file...).

Gerald D
Sat 22 September 2007, 00:50
Donald, apparently (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4994&postcount=88) you have been supplying 1/8" plate in lieu of the 4mm specified for the 10 40 432 spider plate. You should rather go up to 3/16" (same as for 10 30 455 which you seem to supply at 3/16"). See this thread (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412).

J.R. Hatcher
Sat 22 September 2007, 17:26
My 10 40 432 and 10 30 455 parts are both 1/8". Do you think this is going to be a problem?

Gerald D
Sat 22 September 2007, 21:16
That is hard to say, because it is territory that I havn't tested before. I design these things on gut feel and then see what they do in the shop. Part 10 30 455 was designed long ago and there I think 1/8" might be okay.

But, I released the drawing for 10 40 432 before I had really tested the design. Ideally I was wanting it thicker (5mm [3/16"]) but was worried that a bending company wouldn't manage all those bends neatly, so I went down one thickness. It might well be that 1/8" is sufficient. To test it, slide the z-slide all the way to one end, then push-pull that end with about 35kg [80 lbs] force in the x-direction and see if the spider is flexing.

J.R. Hatcher
Sun 23 September 2007, 06:42
I'll try to setup a test later today. I'll use a dial indicator. I know there will be some flex so we will need a control test from someone that has a thicker spider, and we will need to mirror the 2 test.

Gerald D
Sun 23 September 2007, 06:56
Can you rig a horizontal dial, base to the Y-car, "finger" to the spider between the upper pair of rollers?

J.R. Hatcher
Sun 23 September 2007, 07:28
I think so. It will be about 3 hrs until I get back.

J.R. Hatcher
Sun 23 September 2007, 16:57
With the dial indicator positioned like we agreed (finger as close to the bent stop as possible) I applied the pressure just above the spider on the gauge plate. I put approx 80 lbs in one direction along the X, then the same in the other direction along the X. The total movment was .007". This did not seem like a lot of movment. Where I applied pressure could also have added a little, because of the leverage of the guide wheels thru the gauge plate bla, bla, bla.

Gerald D
Sun 23 September 2007, 21:18
What is your overall feeling - is your plate stiff enough?

J.R. Hatcher
Mon 24 September 2007, 06:07
I'll post the results when I make my first cuts.

I will be out of town for the next 10 days:(. I am going to try my sons laptop w/wireless, if I can figure it out maybe I can keep in touch.

dneisler
Mon 01 October 2007, 19:29
Just so everyone knows, I have one set set of parts on hand that I can ship out. This is my last set, I will not be doing any more. If someone wants to grab these real quick.........$350 shipped......email me for details.

Again...ONLY 1 SET....these are already cut, and being bent right now, so little or no wait time.

smreish
Tue 02 October 2007, 09:29
I am interested....how would you like payment?
Best Regards,
Sean.

dneisler
Wed 03 October 2007, 09:05
All Sold.