PDA

View Full Version : How do i wire this which gecko drive to use

eloid
Sun 04 March 2007, 21:09
I think i have a TORQUEMASTER 3500 Series brush servo motor made by cmc model mt3528-117 got as a freebie

made by clevland machine control but I think there call cleveland motion controls now

specs below for 3500

www.cmccontrols.com/downloads/servo_motors/platform3500.pdf (http://www.cmccontrols.com/downloads/servo_motors/platform3500.pdf)

I cant find the spec for this motor (mt3528-117 ), but only for this series 3500 not mt3500? IThink its the same cuz they have 3528 listed?

Question is what kind of gecko drive would i need to by to run this pm feild servo motor?

I hoping to use this on 5'x9' router table not sure if it has the speed and troque it need?

Mike Richards
Mon 05 March 2007, 05:07
The G320 is the Gecko drive for brushed servo motors. (They also offer the G340, which has a pulse multiplier built in; however, the pulse multiplier causes problems when you make very small moves.)

The motor is rated at about 170 oz*in of torque - not nearly enough for use on a CNC router unless you gear it down substantially. It also runs at 4000 RPM (no load) which is useless on a CNC router using rack and pinion unless you gear it down substantially. You can only use about 400 RPM at the pinion gear (which would give you about 30-inches per second jog speed).

So, if you geared the motor down at least 10:1, you would end up with about 400 RPM. The trick will be building or buying a 10:1 gearbox. Most likely a commercial box will cost very close to $1,000. Building a belt-driven box is not difficult, but it would be bulky because it would require at least two stages.