PDA

View Full Version : Stepper motor "slipping" when I turn up steps/minute

wakinyantanka
Fri 29 May 2009, 18:35
When testing the speed of my gantry my motors seem to slip. I checked my lovejoy couplings and everything is tight. The apparent slip is coming from inside the motor. When I turn the steps/minute down it stops doing it. Wondering what this is? Hoping someone here can explain.
Thanks....

domino11
Fri 29 May 2009, 21:13
Hi,
Not sure where on your Mechmate you have "lovejoy" connectors. The MM uses rack an pinion drive. You also have not mentioned what type of motors you are using, as well as what drivers, voltages etc. Sorta hard to help with no information. :(

Gerald D
Fri 29 May 2009, 21:21
You are simply overloading your motor if the "slipping" is coming from inside the motor - the faster a stepper motor goes, the less torque it produces, till it gets to a point where it loses steps.

But, have you actually built a MechMate? Which motors are you using? This forum is exclusively for MechMate builders or people seriously interested in building them.

wakinyantanka
Sat 30 May 2009, 05:32
You are simply overloading your motor if the "slipping" is coming from inside the motor - the faster a stepper motor goes, the less torque it produces, till it gets to a point where it loses steps.

But, have you actually built a MechMate? Which motors are you using? This forum is exclusively for MechMate builders or people seriously interested in building them.
My apologizes, I thought this was a cnc forum. I'm using a different set up.
Again sorry for posting on the wrong forum.:o

This thread now closed and archived