MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 20. Gantry
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 18 September 2009, 21:29
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Removing the risk of jamming fingers under the rollers

From here:

Let's use this thread to develop ideas to remove the risk of getting fingers caught under the x-rollers . . . .
Old Fri 18 September 2009, 22:10
Castone
Just call me: Leo #41

Soddy Daisy , Tn
United States of America
Roller Gaurds

One could mount some clips at the pinch points ,that just cleared the V rails be a .062" or so. Just a slotted pc of metal bolted to the gantry, so it would just push your hands out of the way or what ever was on the rails. You could even add a felt wiper to the back of it if you wanted to/ Just an ideal.
Old Fri 18 September 2009, 22:59
inventall
Just call me: pete

ca
United States of America
I have thought about this because, like myself my six year old loves tools and playing with them! Since he was 3 there were 2 rules in my shop:

#1 DON'T touch the power tools
#2 You are not allowed to get hurt

This has worked so far. But The MM is 3000 miles away from him right now. In December, when his brother is done baking in the oven the MM is coming home. And I am not sure if #2 will listen.

I had the thought of rigging a kind of bump e-stop on both sides of the gantry and in front of the rollers kind of like a wood chipper stop bar. One switch as long as the gantry on both sides. The "deflector screen" may be easier but what about tiny fingers?? The rails are the perfect height to lift up on and see what the robot is doing.
Old Fri 18 September 2009, 23:05
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
If everyone thinks that the y-rails/car are safe, then we can lengthen/bend the tips of the gantry ends to form a similar situation for the x-rails. (We could screw felt wipers there as well, giving safety and maintenance benefits, but let's focus this thread on safety)
Old Fri 18 September 2009, 23:07
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
If you have 2 beers, one in each hand, then no problem.
Old Sat 19 September 2009, 05:41
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Kobus, I think the danger window opens when you finish one of the beers
Old Sat 19 September 2009, 06:33
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Yes I was joking around again. This machine as all power driven tools is / can be very dangerous. You need to be wide awake when you are around this machine. Some guard around the X-wheels will be an improvement. Until then I shout at anybody entering the workshop to stand on both legs and don't touch the machine ANYWHERE...most of all not my E-STOP button after it has being running for an hour or so.
Old Sat 19 September 2009, 06:34
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
Simple solution

Not very beautiful one but simpler and working solution. Made out of readily available items.

Required -

1. GI/Alu/Iron sheet fair thickness 4"x3" (or 4" for proper height)
2. Felt pad of suitable size, 1/2 " thickness.
3. Two rivets, Alu will do.

Result -

1. Finger Guard.
2. Rail cleaner.
3. Rail Lubricator.
4. Proxy path Cleaner.

Observation -

1. It clears away finger/palm while gantry moving, I unloaded stepper, pulled Gantry hard while left hand fingers on rail holding tight purposely, fingers dragged with pad, if rails were sharper and hand holding is tight fingers may get cut. Fingers did not be pinch between rollers and rail and GI sheet did not bend.

2. Cleans proxy path, can clean most of dust away.

3. Felt was thick, so I sliced it to easily pass over stopper.

Only one is made, 3 are pending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finger Guard.JPG (101.3 KB, 1046 views)
File Type: jpg Finger Guard 1.JPG (107.3 KB, 1039 views)

Last edited by DMS; Sat 19 September 2009 at 06:37..
Old Mon 21 September 2009, 21:22
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
What would be good is to have a wedge shaped block with a grrove for the rail, that would lift any object off the way of the v roller.
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 01:31
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Can we also think of doing something to the corners of the main beams, up till now I walk into these corners probably once a day,ouch!
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 06:19
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India

how about the recron filled pillows on all the 4 ends : LOL

actually have seen a couple of bots with a frame which prevents anyone from coming very close to the machine while its working - maybe that might be a solution to all.

RGDS
Irfan
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 07:17
DMS
Just call me: Sharma #9 India

Rajasthan
India
Quote:
What would be good is to have a wedge shaped block with a grrove for the rail, that would lift any object off the way of the v roller
and jam against stoppers. LOL

Quote:
Can we also think of doing something to the corners of the main beams, up till now I walk into these corners probably once a day,ouch!
IMHO a simple rubber hose piece cut can do the trick.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read