MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 06 August 2009, 06:44
David T.
Just call me: David T.

Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Another MM Newbie - Melbourne Australia

Just call me David T,

Hi to you all, I have only been registered for a short while on this informative site and have found myself addicted to joining the MM build fraternity.

I am a retired mechanical engineer with a hobby of building and sailing radio controlled model yachts, where such a machine could produce patterns and moulds for various components and hulls.

I have noticed a number of members threads who I would like to initally contact namely Rick Mixon for a set of cut and bent parts and Skippy (Paul) and or AuSMaDDoG (Tony) re availability of computer kiosk and as the build progesses, there will be other specific components and processes requiring assistance.

I look forward to participate and add my knowledge where applicable and question when necessary, on a case by case basis.

David T.
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 06:55
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome David. Seems the Aussies are really into CNC!
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 09:50
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome David!

Good to see how many ozzies we can convert to indoor sports - you guys always beat us up outside!
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 13:22
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Come now Gerald, stay positive, we beat the All Blacks twice in a row, why not the Aussies as well (they havent beaten us at Newlands for 14 years)
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 15:45
David T.

Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Thank you for the welcomes, to Gerald and Alan (#11) I think it is on the Wallabies wish list this weekend, but in true Aussie spirit, Oze, Oze, Oze, Oh,Oh, Oh, go the Wallibies.

David T.
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 23:01
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Gerald, I think David wants to build faster model boats, to get outside and beat all comers. So really just think of MM as a performance enhancement tool!

David, I look forward to your Build, the challenge is Jayson's build time. Best you buy all the components first to have any chance at beating him.

HEY maybe we can have buildoffs, fastest time wins (have to hold accuracy on first test).

Last edited by Besser; Thu 06 August 2009 at 23:03.. Reason: swapped english for secong language
Old Fri 07 August 2009, 01:31
jason H
Just call me: Jase

Phillip Island, Victoria
Australia
Hi David T, i'm also a newbie here and have only just started to read through the threads in this forum. It would be great to keep in contact with you as i'm only down the road from you, Phillip Island. I think that i'm really behind the 8 ball so to speak as I don't come from an engineering back ground but what I lack in knowledge I make up for in other area's and failing that there is of course a wealth of knowledge on tap here in this fourm.

Sorry to hijack your thread but i guess i'm saying Hi to you all too.

Last edited by jason H; Fri 07 August 2009 at 01:33..
Old Mon 10 August 2009, 05:49
David T.

Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Gerald & Alan #11,
Well done by the Springbocks, but we won the 4th test, no consolation I know, but a win is a win in anyones language.

Gerald, I have a technical question, my plan is to build a machine with a working area of 1600 mm x 900 mm x 250 mm, with the Y axis being narrow #1 would I need the two steppers on the gantry #2 could the cross member tubes (10 20 440) be reduced in height / weight.
Regards
David T.
Old Mon 10 August 2009, 06:25
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
#1: For 900mm gantry length, you still need two motors. (The y-car is only just short enough to manage 1 motor)

#2: You could reduce down to 1.6mm wall thickness. Reducing the height of the tube will throw out some other dimensions and not really bring a benefit. In fact, more weight here makes for smoother cuts - I would stick with the drawings.
Old Mon 10 August 2009, 16:23
David T.

Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Gerald,
Thank you, I will stay with the proven design.
David T.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read