MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 11 September 2009, 15:39
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Update Builder's Log

Marius,

Congratulations on Serial # 32. The updated Builder's Log is here.
Old Fri 11 September 2009, 18:13
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Thanks again to all members of this forum ! Now it's the moment to start to make some dust !
Gerald believe or not but I'm a lawyer and also my wife is a lawyer and we work together.
My passion for wood was the real boost for me to build an MM. In order to produce very special things a cnc machine it's a must.
But this is not the end and in the near future I'm starting to ad an indexer to my MM or to build another one but this will be the plan for the begining of the next year.
Of course I'll keep inform everybody about everything.
Thank's again.
Old Sat 12 September 2009, 03:00
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Great Job

Hi Marius,

Congrats for your Work and of course for Number #32 !!!
Looking gooood!

Felicitari
Old Sat 12 September 2009, 19:42
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Here Here for #32!
Old Sat 12 September 2009, 21:48
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, I sometimes see that "Here Here" thing and wonder what it means in other cultures. I remember the use of "hear hear" proclaimed in meetings after a speaker has made a worthy statement, as "hear this man!". But I have never understood the "here here" when somebody shows something?¿?¿?
Old Sun 13 September 2009, 04:53
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Heath, excuse me to budge in....
Gerald, I’m definitively no history expert, best I can remember, relate and explain this in my own way about this old “ hear hear” is, it’s a parliament House of Commons inspired “partisanry” old, old thing….

Still today we see “parliamentarians” so called “politicians” or MP’s ( Members of parliament ) proudly pronounce in a loud-bold fashion this “hear-hear” when a colleague MP replies or make a statement and they want to show support and/or approving what was stated, by showing the adversary party a loud impression that everybody is in favor of what has been said. The more & louder, the more “petit” the adversary may feels..... A BAD EGO based thing.... Human kind I guess .... ?
Bottom line, it a support thing from a partisan …..
Old Sun 13 September 2009, 10:10
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
I bet Heath had just never thought about it. Neither had I but I'm glad you pointed it out Gerald. Heck, until a couple of years ago, I thought the expression, "for all intents and purposes..." was "for all intensive purposes..."
Old Sun 13 September 2009, 12:51
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Other misunderstood phrases

I know this is Waaaaaay off topic but to follow up on Doug #3's comment: For an excellent example of misunderstood phrases, check out this Youtube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAzv...eature=related
Old Sun 13 September 2009, 17:46
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
It was meant in acknowlegement of achievement or perhaps as someone would say to toast and accomplishment. Like Doug, I could not tell you exactly where it came from but have heard it used many times.
I guess Congratulations would have been simpler.
Old Mon 14 September 2009, 07:37
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Touch plate tests

That's not a big thing ! I presume from the start that domino11 wish me all the best !
Here are some test with the touch plate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jOTpfz_AMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zZL0_ALz0

This week I'll hope the final design for the plate will be ready... I can't forget how many time it was lost just to wait for others to finish their job...
Old Thu 22 October 2009, 02:06
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
New toy in town

Here is my new toy . This is a MUST in order to get the perfect results from MM.
I'm not a huge fan of MDF. Nothing compares with solid wood .
At the end I should present the old working horse in every medium workshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New toy.jpg (106.6 KB, 964 views)
File Type: jpg MUT.jpg (111.6 KB, 962 views)
Old Thu 22 October 2009, 03:25
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Marius, I don’t get it ?
What’s the link with this jointer or sliding table saw, perfect result from MM & MDF ??
Maybe getting connected a future dust collector for your MM to these
Old Thu 22 October 2009, 05:14
cncb
Just call me: Brian

Connecticut
United States of America
nice! no fence on the jointer? how do you work on the shaper with the skid and debris in front of it??
Old Thu 22 October 2009, 06:33
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Robert, my MM it will be used to produce furniture doors. Most of the customers start to ask for solid wood doors and it's normally taking in consideration the beauty of solid wood. A few weeks ago I try to use a large bit to "repair" a bended piece of lumber. It takes tooo long.
On the other hand MDF it's much easier to cut, make a profile but it's not wood. Painted MDF is good to produce bath furniture. For the moment MM is just sleeping but soon will show his real value.
I open this subject in order to give ideas to other for new ways of using MM. Doors is the most important part in the process of building furniture. Yes, dust collector it's the next step. But I have to delay this step until I finish preparing the REAL space for production (800 square meters).
That's the idea.
Marius
Old Mon 05 March 2012, 03:56
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Real workhorse

Hy guys !
What can I say...? MM is a real workhorse and save the day helping me to finish 12 wine racks. At the beginning the idea was to cut half circles on one of my shapers using a template. Bad idea. So MM save the project and cut almost 400 pieces 1000mm x 110mm x 20mm. The wood was beech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP9QO_nEOss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0136.jpg (90.9 KB, 641 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0137.jpg (96.9 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0138.jpg (76.8 KB, 647 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0139.jpg (93.1 KB, 645 views)
Old Mon 05 March 2012, 04:05
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Chipbreaker bit

One more thing... I don't know what kind of bit use most of you but this one is a real winner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHIPBREAKER BIT.jpg (81.7 KB, 655 views)
Old Mon 05 March 2012, 04:16
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
I just love the tension when the bit goes over the clamps
makes me sweat every time. good work !
Did you get a clean enough edge with this chipbreaker? as its purpose is to rough cut and then finish with another bit. Your feed/rpm seems a bit low for a 3 flute bit that may be the reason, but if it worked for you its ok?
How much bits you used for those 400 pcs?
Old Mon 05 March 2012, 05:19
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
I know the feeling regarding "bit over clamps" .
Yes the feed could be a little higher (just 12mm/sec) but I prefer to play safe. The material became too weak because of too many cuts on both sides.
One bit for 300 pcs because at the beginning I use an 8mm/2 flute. This one is 12mm solid carbide (from CMT). Now I'll send the bit for sharpening.
Old Tue 06 March 2012, 15:32
OldRat
Just call me: OldRat

Oradea
Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixi View Post
One more thing... I don't know what kind of bit use most of you but this one is a real winner.
Hi, Marius,
Salut! Jos palaria!
Things concerning metal should concern wood also, regarding tools & machining.
So, here You are some general things, I'm sure You heared about.
It happens very often that machining a piece (milling wood, in your case) is done in (at least) two stages: roughing & finishing.
Each stage has his dedicated tool. Even if they seem to be similar and seem do the same job, each one has its specific role.
The tool in the picture is a roughing mill. I would call it in Your language "freza cilindro-frontala cu dinti inclinati intretupti, pentru ebosare". Those "dents" on the cutting edges and the spiral of the edge make cuttind force go down, because marerial is attacked progresively (spiral - opposite to straight edge) and in small amounts ("dents" which break the chips = shorter effective cutting edge length opposite to continuous cutting edge).
The role of this one is to ensure removal of a lot of materilal, quickly. What means a lot and how quick, I can tell You about for tools machining metal.

Usually, tools have something similar to a "User's guide". You can (or can not) find it in the tools catalogues issued by the tool's producer. It gives You data the way the producer recommends his tool to be used, adica "regimul de aschiere".
The tool in the picture must not ensure a "perfect" surface because it is driven to leave a small amount of material for the next one, the finishing tool.
The finishing mill may look similar to the roughing one or not. Certainly it won't have "dents" and the cutting edges may be spiral or may be straight. It's role is to give You a smooth, finished surface.

I wrote all this because of the statement in Your post:"... I don't know what kind of bit use most of you ..."

Here You are some hints:
- best tool brand You can afford
- best tool material You can afford (integral carbide = OK OK)
- biggest dia of the cutting part of the tool as well as biggest tool shank dia (maximum rigidity & minimum rpm for the same cutting speed)
- try to find cutting data for each tool You use = regimul de aschiere al sculei in cauza (S & F), adancimea de aschiere (pe raza sculei) si numarul de treceri (pe inaltime) pentru materialul piesei de prelucrat
- roughing pass AND finishing pass
- ALLWAYS SHARP TOOLS (You allready do so: tool life shoud be provided by the tool's producer along with the cutting data and should tell You after how much time the tool needs a re-sharpening, if used accordingly to the producer's indicaton. You may follow his advice or not, but, it gives You some figures to compare with Your own experience - valid for cutting data too)
- go for spiral cutting edges (less vibration & lower stress on the machine and tool and part to be machined and on everything that clamps the part to the machine's table, better surfaces)

Good luck & let us know from time to tine ... :-) !
Old Fri 13 July 2012, 05:40
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
A real challenge !!!

Pictures are from a russian site...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg INTERIOR LEMN MASINA.jpg (67.3 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg INTERIOR LEMN MASINA 2.jpg (62.0 KB, 427 views)
Old Sat 14 July 2012, 10:01
Jason Marsha
Just call me: Jason

B'Town
Barbados
Wow this takes wood trim to a whole new level
Old Fri 27 July 2012, 08:36
gixi

Bucharest
Romania
Next step: 4th axis on my MM

Because everything goes well soon I'll install the 4th axis on MM.
Here are some videos with the new CNC:
http://youtu.be/-l_5Hh7qjBw
http://youtu.be/UIYIbUbaBV0
http://youtu.be/EueSW8tuT3Y
http://youtu.be/Dr_RIbUktzc
Have a nice day to all !

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read