MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 29 June 2009, 04:53
skippy
Just call me: Paul #72

Queensland
Australia
Touch Probes Have Arrived #72 - Brisbane, Australia

Paul from Brisbane, Australia.

Been looking on building a CNC for many years and then I found this wonderful site that Gerald has put to gather and sharing he plans. Have been lurking around the site and getting parts together and waiting for that Australian dollar to get better before ordering yet more parts from the overseas.

I guess that I will need to start the thread as that I now have laser cut parts coming very soon thanks for Rick (rnixon) at a good price

I will start to add photo's as the build starts.

Regards

Paul
Old Mon 29 June 2009, 07:16
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Great to here you've got started (or ordered ). I doubt anyone could beat Ricks price unless they have access to their own laser cutter.
Good luck with the build! There's a few Aussie MechMates getting started now
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 00:49
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Here as some Photo's that Rick sent me on the Laser Cut Kit and they do look good . Rick just getting a quote on shipping them to me. I guess that I will need to pull my finger out and start building once they arrive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lasercut1a2.jpg (39.8 KB, 3319 views)
File Type: jpg lasercut2a2.jpg (44.8 KB, 3315 views)
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 17:26
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Looking good!!
I will need to keep an eye on this build as I too would like to start a build. I have never done anything of this magnitude before so it is a little daunting, plus I have always worked with wood and plastics, not steel and electronics.
So your thread will be of great interest to me.
I am located in Brisbane, not sure where you are in QLD, maybe we can catch up one day!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 04:22
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Hi Tony

I know who you are. It is such a small world. At the next MASQ Meeting (Marine Aquarium Society of Queensland ) the other Hobby I can bring the Spider plate down so you can see the quantity if needed. Where is Mrs AuS MaDDoG going to let you to build it. But if she does let you build it I will be the one watching you as you build of the Marine tank was great.

Regards

Paul
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 04:54
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Well I'll be!! I had a funny feeling it was you we need to get together Paul and discuss this venture could be good for both of us!!
I look forward to catching up with you!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 05:04
skippy

Queensland
Australia
I have let the cat out the bag in the post above the parts have turn up today.
Very happy with them. Have the added some pic's of the wonderful packing the Rick did. Just wish that everyone would pack that way for shipping. That's not a cardboard box it's a wooden box(Chip board) very well packed. I would recommend getting the parts from Rick. I just pulled out the spider plate before it got to dark tonight the workmanship is very good. Sorry about the pic's the washing is still on the line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2288-2.JPG (21.4 KB, 3193 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2292-2.JPG (25.8 KB, 3207 views)
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 05:13
skippy

Queensland
Australia
I should add some of the photo's of the parts that I have been getting together for that last 9 months most of the electronics except the Gecko's the BOB the spindle and OM gear box Motor's
Old Mon 13 July 2009, 05:28
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Hopefully will be look a 15' touch screen internet booth tomorrow. details below with photo. I will just use the screen keyboard and trackball. All vandal proof. Also looks that it is the Mechmate Blue colour as well

Only about AUD $250 about the same price of the metal enclosure they have about 100 units.

15" Touch Screen LCD Kiosk System with External Keyboard/Trackball

Unit comes with a SFF Desktop PC inside:
Intel Celeron 2.00GHz
256MB DDR
40GB Hard Disk.
CDROM, Wifi
Microsoft Windows XP Pro COA.
External Keyboard with trackball mouse.
15" Touchscreen Panel EFL-1501X.
Swecoin TTP 8200 Kiosk Thermal Printer.
Built-in Surge protection.
Front mounted headphone Jack.
Dimensions: (H x L x D): 116cm x 69cm x 76cm.
We send Australia wide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Internet booth.JPG (18.2 KB, 3194 views)
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 04:06
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Pm sent.
Old Tue 14 July 2009, 20:24
Castone
Just call me: Leo #41

Soddy Daisy , Tn
United States of America
Work Station

That is a very nice looking Unit !!
Old Wed 15 July 2009, 06:41
skippy

Queensland
Australia
I been and had a look of them today. The one with the keyboard is a sit down one and the one without the keyboard is a stand at and work one. The in build keyboard and track ball would be good but could become clogged with dust etc. And very hard to clean if a all. A USB keyboard and mouse are quite cheap and can be replace every year or more.

So it looks like it will be the one with out keyboard.

!BUjek(gB2k~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBKOEr6(0sQ~~_1.JPG

15" Touch Screen LCD Kiosk System

Unit comes with a SFF Desktop PC inside:
Intel Celeron 2.00GHz
256MB DDR
40GB Hard Disk
CDROM, Wifi
Microsoft Windows XP Pro COA
Keyboard included for maintenance and setup.
15" Touchscreen Panel EFL-1501X
Swecoin TTP 8200 Kiosk Thermal Printer.
Built-in surge protection.
Front mounted headphone Jack.
Dimensions: (H x L x D): 135cm x 69cm x 63cm

The PC is an IBM mini desktop. It also has ethernet and power on the back of the Kiosk unit. AUD $350.00 each or AUD $250.00 each for two or more. Just need to workout how to fit it into car.

They are selling like hotcakes.
Old Wed 15 July 2009, 16:17
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Paul,

Count me in for one of the stand up ones also, if you think that is the way to go!! I have a trailer but no towbar if thats of any help??
Pm me for my phone number or send me yours and I will give you a call.
When are you planning on trying to collect them ??

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 16 July 2009, 11:18
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Mouth watering...
Old Thu 16 July 2009, 17:12
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Paul,

That is one fancy stand up input station. I am pretty casual. I have my computer on an old rolling computer table with a bucket turned upside down with a blanket on it for my chair.
Old Mon 20 July 2009, 06:53
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Today
Tony (AuS MaDDoG), his brother with a ute (pickup truck) and myself pickup two of those beauties.

Have loaded Mech3 on to my unit. Which runs so far without any problems. Once I remove Thermal Printer there lots of room to mount all of the control gear. The MechMate master controller is now coming along nicely.

Was able to show Tony (AuS MaDDoG) the great workmanship of the laser cut parts that I got from Rick (rnixon) He may have some more orders soon.

Regards
Paul
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 07:12
skippy

Queensland
Australia
A Quick update

Here are some photo of a cleaned unit (Soon to be Mechmate Controller)
plus photo's of the unit opened up the black object with the white roll is the Kiosk printer that I'm looking a removing and mounting the Controller equipment in it's place. You will also see the in the door at the front bottom is the where the PC (IBM) is mounted and behind that is the Power supply for the printer and maybe the screen but will need to look into that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2390_s.JPG (16.8 KB, 2971 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2391_s.JPG (28.4 KB, 2960 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2392_s.JPG (31.1 KB, 2961 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2393_s.JPG (25.4 KB, 2947 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2394_s.JPG (19.2 KB, 2913 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2395_s.JPG (24.2 KB, 2906 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2396_s.JPG (26.1 KB, 2916 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2398_s.JPG (26.5 KB, 2894 views)
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 08:24
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
even a free stepper motor...I WANT one
Old Wed 22 July 2009, 16:44
scoshow
Just call me: scoshow

Brisbane
Australia
Kiosk

Hey there Paul,
I'm in Brisbane too. Could you count me in on one of the kiosks?
Or could you tell me where I can get one?
cheers
rosco
Old Sun 26 July 2009, 05:12
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Was able to take a coupe of photos of the back of the unit opened up before i moved it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2412_s.JPG (29.3 KB, 2793 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2413_s.JPG (30.8 KB, 2790 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2414_s.JPG (18.1 KB, 2791 views)
Old Tue 04 August 2009, 22:39
patclan
Just call me: Patrick

Brisbane
Australia
This is all getting exciting, I want to build a CNC and as I constantly search the Net I keep coming back to this site and I like the MM. It was looking quite daunting but as I am in Brisbane and I see you guys discussing this I am thinking it may not be out of reach.

As you build your Machines would you by any chance be able to put up all the suppliers you have used in Australia or not? I am new to Australia slash Brisbane so not familiar with any of the companies.

DO you have any idea what your overal outlay/cost is going to be or pregected? I am wondering if its worth while buying one of those chinese ones for 13k ish..

Also who is doing your welding? are you doing it your self? I have never done it before, not that that would stop me I guess, Aldi where selling Welding machines last week.

Anyway good to see other Brisbanites on here, so good luck..
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 02:46
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Pat

I'm currently building in Perth, from what I've been able to find either from this site, quotes and outrights guesses, I believe I'll be able to do it for around $7000 plus my time, but as the saying goes your mileage may vary depending very much on how you choose to build, what options are important to you and what material/equipment you have available to you. Some on this website you will see have been able to do it for as little as $4-5k. Safe to say though that you should be well under the 13k you quote for the chinese machine .

Jed
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 18:35
patclan

Brisbane
Australia
Thanks Jed,

I have just bought a house which needs 2 bathrooms a laundry and a Kitchen replaced, as much as the MM wont make the kitchen sink I am hoping to build one that I can use to make all the cabinets and doors, then I will just need to get the doors 2 pac'd.

I have nothing available to me at the moment so I am having to source everything, I have some money coming from the tax man :-) so I will be using this, my justification to the misses is the savings building my own cabinets, if I spend all this money and then have to buy cabinets I will be dead meat!!
Old Wed 05 August 2009, 20:01
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
MechMate a Kitchen Sink

If you wanted to be just a little 'too gung-ho' for my tastes, you could use your MM to make an appropriate 3D form for a kitchen sink, then cast it out of concrete

It may not be made directly from the MM, but it is an amazingly flexable tool. We are only limited by our imagination.

Send me a PM and I can send you some links on making concrete counter tops, sinks, etc. It is yet another skill I have not developed.

Right now, I am working with a friend to make a workshop out of concrete for me, where I want to put a MM! Sofar we have started casting pieces for it. (I'll show a pix or two once it is done.)
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 00:25
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Casting concrete counter-top will be like playing in mud pit (literally) for your skill level

Cost next to noting as well... and with care, beautiful result is almost guarantee every time.
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 03:08
patclan

Brisbane
Australia
I have been doing more research, not sure how you all feel about other Brands/Models, I know this is the mechmate forum but I have found a chinese CNC router 8x4 shipped free to Brisbane for $7k. I realise then there will be no fun in building and learning all about your machine but just wonder if it will take me a year to build and should I just get it deliverd (they say within a couple of weeks) and I can get stuck in..

More food for thought I guess..
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 18:13
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
Pat

One of the jobs I have for my MM when finished sounds remarkably similar to that. I have a property that will be a weekender but needs a house. Not to push the MM bandwagon here but I think the MM at $7k is a better deal, because it includes all the tools you get to buy along the way to build and it's more than possible that a very functionall MM could be built for less.

Jed
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 19:23
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Patrick,

Be aware that 'free' shipping is only FOB from china. there will be GST and local port duties that will easily add up to $2-3k. I know someone who just imported 2 machines similar size to the MM and the duties were over $8k!. Thats was a 'free' shipping deal too. So do you research here with a broker to get a feel for costs. I'm pretty sure you will come back to the MM :-)
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 22:29
patclan

Brisbane
Australia
Ok Guys, China is out, I am convinced.. One of the things I was excited about was the build and all the tools I get to collect.. I just need to get over my fear of welding :-)

Now I just need to read read read..
Old Thu 06 August 2009, 22:40
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Pat,
Have you seen Jeff's build yet? He is doing a mostly wood table assembly with the resultant minimal welding required. Take a look here.
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read