MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 29 November 2010, 04:23
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The lower 48 states of the US?

Why is Hawaii regarded as an "upper" state (not part of the lower 48) when it is the southernmost state of the US? This term "lower 48" has always intrigued me....
Old Mon 29 November 2010, 05:38
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Good question. Most refer to the first 48 state as the "lower 48". That name started after Alaska became a state in January 1959. Hawaii did not join until June of that year. So I am figuring the term was used by folks/media during that 8 months a stuck as sort of a nick name by the time Hawaii joined.

All conjecture of course after a few Google searches to figure out the dates Alaska and Hawaii became states. I knew they where both in 1959, but did not know the Jan / Aug dates.
Old Mon 29 November 2010, 06:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I think some maps showed Hawaii fairly high up on the left, according to the particular projection of the map, allowing for a curved globe. If "lower" does not refer to latitude, then it sort of becomes demeaning, like "lesser"? I wonder if the Hawaiians and Alaskans consider themselves as the "upper" states?
Old Mon 29 November 2010, 06:13
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Thats interesting, I didnt know the last states we added so late.

So Hawaii was not part of the "United States" at the time of the attack of Pearl Harbour? What was their position with respect to the USA (Colony, Protectorate?)
Old Mon 29 November 2010, 07:20
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
US Territory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii#...2.80.931959.29
Old Mon 29 November 2010, 19:19
Leko
Just call me: Leko

Kaukapakapa
New Zealand
In our heart of hearts....we're all Canadians!!
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 06:24
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Maple leafs waving Matthew? Or is the tundra frozen now?
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 12:55
Leko

Kaukapakapa
New Zealand
Just can't wait till the formation of the North American Union!
Old Wed 12 January 2011, 21:17
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Interestingly enough, while Hawaii is the Southernmost of the U.S. States, Alaska in the Northern-most, the Western-most and the Eastern-most, all at the same time! (Hint - look at the International dateline on your atlas.
Old Wed 12 January 2011, 21:47
Leko

Kaukapakapa
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehayes View Post
Alaska in the Northern-most, the Western-most and the Eastern-most, all at the same time!
Yea, and you can see Russia from there too! You betcha!
Old Thu 13 January 2011, 09:00
krabenaldt
Just call me: Kevin

Midland TX
United States of America
I don't know about Alaska but when you are in Hawaii (absolutely beautiful place) you do not refer to your departure back home to the lower 48 as returning to the United States, you refer to as the mainland. Hawaii is of course part of the United States.

Alaska and Hawaii are some of the most beautiful of the US. I would live in Hawaii if I could afford it. If my ship comes in, there is where I'd be. Perhaps I could have the first Mechmate there. Of course, I have got to build mine first.
Old Thu 13 January 2011, 09:21
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Did you know that Hawaii is the furthest address from South Africa? (our closest antipode). Have often heard that it compares to the Cape Town area and even the protea (our national flower) grows there.
Old Sun 05 June 2011, 18:45
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
At one time there was a push to talk about 'contiguous 48 states' versus upper or lower. It didn't help things. ... I think Alaska came in in 1959 and Hawaii was officially in 1960. They were in separate years in any case. It was a big deal when I was in elementary school.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read