MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 25 October 2010, 10:40
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Hey Johan nice to see you are still around,what have you been doing with your MM.Kobus show us that plastic you have been talking about.
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 12:41
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hennie, the stuff is called (Vescolene Ultrablack) from Vesconite. Still working on it WAIT and see. Nothing will happen this weekend again. My son and myself will be off to Harrismith for the Rhino Rally this coming weekend....BONDING
Old Mon 25 October 2010, 22:10
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Hallo Hennie,
Still around. I sold a few signs and been playing with various thickness ply and bits. No show pieces to show. I must cut a piece of alu checker plate to night. This will be the first. I will be using a 6mm endmill and keep the job cool with Q20. Hopely the carbite bit should survive.
Old Thu 04 November 2010, 11:53
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
These Vectric guys ..and girls are on the ball...

This was delivered today.

DSC01526.JPG
Old Sat 06 November 2010, 02:44
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Time for a FRESH start

Well, I had comments about my sacrifice board...Don't know why ?
DSC01528.JPG

It was newer glued down and therefore resurfacing it was not an option for me at this late time.

So with a new fresh beginning I got a new one on this morning.
DSC01527.JPG

But

I want to make sure the glue set 100% before I re-surface it.
Therefore all the plans for cutting NICE stuff today will not happen.

Also invested in a new PC....tired of the occasional BLUE screens on the old one. Luckily my brother owns a computer shop and I was able to get a new PC for R 1500.00. (Box with P/Supply, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, 250G H/D, new DVD burner, Keyboard and mouse.
Took out the new DVD burner and put that into a PC in the home..that is why the old white on is on the new box.

Let the fun begin...again
Old Mon 08 November 2010, 07:32
gary grainger
Just call me: Gazza

Gauteng
South Africa
hello

Hi Kobus,

I am down the road from you in Sunward Park Boksburg.
is it at all possible to get in touch with you to see ur machine and pick ur brains,
My Dad and i have been looking at cnc for years now but to buy them is way too expensive.

we just want to know the costs, capabilities, technical abilities needed etc before we attempt going further.

Ur help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
082-495-4428
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 09:42
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Surfboard for Plettenberbaai

Hennie asked me if I can make something from this picture..
handprintlong_split.jpg

With my new Aspire I got the first DRAFT out in about 5 minutes, but it needed a little more work.

So the next night I had a look at the FISH tutorial in Aspire and looking at the tutorial and doing it on this picture, I generated the code in an hour.

I think I did go a little overboard with the smoothing, but the next one I will make a little more textured.

Size....800 mm long. Width 140 mm. High 12 mm
Roughing toolpath 6.35mm end mill..........38 minutes (4 passes )
Finishing toolpath 3mm ballnose.............63 minutes 10 % stepover.
Surfboard 1.JPG

I am happy with Aspire...really easy to use
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 10:13
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Lyk my jy speel lekker, goed gedaan. I thought you said you were CAD challenged or is the Aspire that easy to use?
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 11:04
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
It's the software Alan, this thing is POWERFULL and easy. You should consider buying it..
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 11:28
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I will have to put it on Santa's wish list...
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 13:42
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
Aspire is real easy to use and well worth the money. You can get support from their forum or from Vectric support staff. Tony, Brian and James Booth from Vector Arts are great at getting back to you with an answer even on the weekends or when they are on the road just great people to work with.
Old Wed 10 November 2010, 20:38
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Net wat die dokter bestel het.Alan I don`t know if santa can afford all the aspire wish lists for Christmas man that is some good stuff.Kobus will chat later during the morning I have a client that gets a " gemoedsbekakkings aanval elke oggend "so I need to sort that out first.
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 11:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Still working on that violin. Will have to make some changes to the cutting file..Will contact my friend that can do it soon...
DSC01561.JPG

Also tried one of the supplied files received from Aspire.

Took about 2 hours...did final cut in X- direction and then again another final in Y-direction....came out without having to sand it.

Some stain, some wax and I like it.
DSC01565.JPG
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 14:59
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Kobus,

Very nice!! and looks like a very good qaulity clean finish. Looks like you are into full swing with Aspire!! might need to get you to give me a few lessons soon

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 18:28
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Also tried one of the supplied files received from Aspire.

Took about 2 hours...did final cut in X- direction and then again another final in Y-direction....came out without having to sand it.

Some stain, some wax and I like it.
Attachment 10682
Kobus,

I was cutting that exact file today. I'm not getting the cut time or detail you did. What size is your final piece? (x, y, z)

Thanks,
Greg
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 19:16
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus,
That turned out very nicely! The wife got that one I am sure!
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 22:35
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus it is looking good,one of these days I would be doing things like that for a living finishing on my last kitchen project ever no more unreliable peaple working for me just a few Mech Mate`s screaming away.By the way is there anybody interrested in South Africa that wants to help me setting up a school to teach installers how to install Kitchens and bic`s ..
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 22:56
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus I would try these cut outs with a 2,5 dia straight cutter at cutting speed of 4 mm per sec .5 mm passing depth.If you need a Delta scrall saw there is one at my dad`s house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg violin1.jpg (19.7 KB, 723 views)
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 22:57
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thank's guys:

Tony...pay for the ticket and I will be there in a flash..
Just joking...this program with the available tutorials will make sure you can do it. But I am still available for a short holiday.

Heath....you know the drill too well... she is like a Crow...gathers everything.

Greg this is what I have...I am sure everybody will have some variation as the drivers, pinion size and micro stepping setups will differ from machine to machine.
Remember I am only running 28 volt om my UIM Robot drivers. But this is what I have...

Material setup is 240 mm x 280 mm by 15 mm thick...the oval fit into this piece....The depth of the job is only 12 mm.

For roughing I used a 6.35mm straight cutter set for 60 mm / sec feedrate
Cut pattern was 3D Raster along Y-axis

Finishing is with a 3 mm ballnose also setup for 60 mm / sec feedrate and 10 % stepover

Aspire calculated 3 hours 6 minutes ...roughing 35 min...finishing 2h 29 min and cutout 2 minutes.

I usually start with a conservative feed-rate as set on my bit I use. But if I see I can push it up, I adjust the feed rate in Mach3 to what I feel comfortable with.

On this job I pushed Mach3 to 200 % feedrate. I suppose it will equal the bit feed rate to 120 mm / sec under normal conditions.

When the first final cut was done I was not happy with the quality and did another pass at 90 degree to the first one.. (first Y-axis then X-axis ) On the last one I changed the step over to 5%...also running at 200% feed rate in Mach3.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sat 20 November 2010 at 23:06..
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 22:59
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus hoe duk is jou plank wat jy gebruik?en hoe duk is dit as jy klaar gesny het?Het jy toegang tot `n groot bandsaag.?
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 23:03
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hennie,

Yes I will ask my DRAWING GURU to take these F-holes out and will cut them by hand as per the instructions in my book.

The outside and inside is not too bad, I have to work on my setup when I turn it over to cut the other side. At the moment my setup is cutting the piece loose while doing the 3D shaping...some more learning of Aspire is called for I think.

The Violin job is done on a 15 mm thick piece of wood....the grape was done on the off cut.
I have a normal 14 inch bandsaw.

Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB92J6XeZLs

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Sat 20 November 2010 at 23:22..
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 23:13
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Pitty the plank is not a bit thicker then you can split it and have a mirror immage of the grain.
Old Sat 20 November 2010, 23:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Bookmarking...will do that when I do my FINAL one... this is just for testing.
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 02:21
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
You can use the centre joint as a ref point/line when you flip it over.
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 07:03
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post

Greg this is what I have...I am sure everybody will have some variation as the drivers, pinion size and micro stepping setups will differ from machine to machine.
Remember I am only running 28 volt om my UIM Robot drivers. But this is what I have...

Material setup is 240 mm x 280 mm by 15 mm thick...the oval fit into this piece....The depth of the job is only 12 mm.

For roughing I used a 6.35mm straight cutter set for 60 mm / sec feedrate
Cut pattern was 3D Raster along Y-axis

Finishing is with a 3 mm ballnose also setup for 60 mm / sec feedrate and 10 % stepover

Aspire calculated 3 hours 6 minutes ...roughing 35 min...finishing 2h 29 min and cutout 2 minutes.

I usually start with a conservative feed-rate as set on my bit I use. But if I see I can push it up, I adjust the feed rate in Mach3 to what I feel comfortable with.

On this job I pushed Mach3 to 200 % feedrate. I suppose it will equal the bit feed rate to 120 mm / sec under normal conditions.

When the first final cut was done I was not happy with the quality and did another pass at 90 degree to the first one.. (first Y-axis then X-axis ) On the last one I changed the step over to 5%...also running at 200% feed rate in Mach3.
Thanks Kobus,

That helps allot. Most of our parameters are the same. The 120 mm/sec is screaming.

My feedrate for the finish cut is 180 ipm. I came up with that feedrate from the chip load math. (.003 inch, 22,K RPM & 2 fluted cutter) Today I'll up my chip load to .005 inch. Will do a dry run to see if it skips a step. I jog at 300 ipm, so 120 mm/sec should be fine.

Your detail is a little better due to a thicker Z. I'll also increase my model Z from .375 inch to .500 inch.

I get very good results with 6% stepover, but on small projects, I'll use 3% or 4%. A little change in stepover, drastically impacts the cut times.

I have done 2 passes 90 degrees apart once with not much improvement from one pass to the other. I think the stepover was 3% on that project, so that may be the reason. I'll play with different parameters and see what results in the fastest cut times. Although cut quality is my number 1 goal. Cut times is number 2.

Thanks again,
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 10:18
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Greg, if memory serves me right, Kobus has direct drive motors while you have geared motors . . . . that is supposed to make a difference, but I can't think what the difference is right now.
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 10:37
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
I'm headed to the shop right now to cut that model in MDF at the higher feedrates. If something interesting happens, I'll report.
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 11:34
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Just close the door so that the MechMate does not escape...
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 14:59
Greg J

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
For the Record,

Rough pass - .250 End Mill, 2 flute, 220 ipm, No problem.

Finish pass - .125 Ball Nose, 3 flute, 290 ipm, lost a step on the Z.

Glad it was MDF.
Old Sun 21 November 2010, 21:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Greg, how deep are the passes? If you know?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read