MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 19 April 2009, 15:35
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

The slots look great. Nice touch using the aluminum.

Did you try blowing the slots out with you compressor?

Sound like a dust collection unit is next?!!!!
Old Sun 19 April 2009, 19:09
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
That looks really good. Now you will have to show everyone stuff you are cutting with the new hold downs.
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 09:19
berzer
Just call me: berzer

Miasto
Poland
Hi,

Sorry for my language skills...but...
at the one of your pictures I saw bottle of beer

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/attac...d=123363937 7

.... what is the name of that bear? "Zubr"? It's a bear from POLAND
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 18:18
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Hi Nils,

A vacuum system is most certainly in my near future. But first I have to move the MechMate into the room that you can see at the back right of the above picture. Should be interesting!

Heath, As soon as I get my ball-nose bits in the mail I'll be starting to cut some interesting things I am now making some long clamps for use with the aluminum in the slots. Looks really promising.

And yes Berzer... it is Zubr, the king of all Yak beers... my favourite beer of all time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zubr.jpg (90.2 KB, 1279 views)
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 00:16
berzer

Miasto
Poland
Hehe... it's nice to hear that you like it. But I'm supprised that this bear is available in your country
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 04:11
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Zubr is brewed by the Dojlidy brewery, which is owned by Kompania Piwowarska, which is owned by SABMiller, which originated as South African Breweries. It must be a good beer!
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 14:50
berzer

Miasto
Poland
True...true
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 19:13
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Console

Hi everyone,

I finally got to put some time in on my Mechmate again. This time I got it moved to its permanent home and leveled it. I made up a console out of some scrap bits I have kicking around; it turned out simple but effective me thinks.

Heath -- while testing I noticed that my MM runs rougher with the 20 tooth pinions; I tried everything, port speed, steps, velocity, acceleration, CV modes, but no luck getting acceptable smoothness... I also cleaned the rails and wheels -- it made a small difference. I disconnected the motors to test the gantry and y cars :both roll very smoothly!

I'm going to leave the 20 tooth on the Z, but change back to 30 teeth on the X and Y and see how that works. Will update with results.

Hope all is well, Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg console.jpg (72.4 KB, 1115 views)
File Type: jpg console2.jpg (61.2 KB, 1114 views)

Last edited by bradyaero; Tue 16 June 2009 at 19:23..
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 20:15
WFY
Just call me: Buzz #60

Pembroke, Ontario
Canada
35 Tooth gears

Greg,
I have some 35 tooh 20 DP .500 shaft gears if you would like to try them for comparison.
Buzz
Old Tue 16 June 2009, 21:57
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
Is that new paint on the shop floor? Or is it just cleaner than the last time I saw it?
The machine is looking good. Let me know what you find on the pinion gear comparison.

Last edited by domino11; Tue 16 June 2009 at 22:00..
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 02:11
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Looks nice Greg!

Small gears will run rougher under the spring-loading than bigger gears, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the cut quality is going to suffer. (From what I've heard, the smaller gears give the smoother cut, even though they may be noisier)
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 09:10
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Hi Buzz,

Hi and thanks for the offer! I think my 30 toother's will suffice for now. Are you the Buzz that Heath has been telling me about? It's great to have another MM builder in the local area; we have enough people for a MM club
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 09:13
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Greg,
Is that new paint on the shop floor? Or is it just cleaner than the last time I saw it?
The machine is looking good. Let me know what you find on the pinion gear comparison.
I just haven't gotten around to wrecking that part of the floor yet In the SmoothStepper forum, dmoore was warning that 20teeth pinions with 7.2OM are approaching the limit of the parallel port 42khz. I'm really interested in trying out the SmoothStepper when I get some more feedback on how it is working. Gerald any luck yet?

Thanks, Greg
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 09:25
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I heard from son Sean this morning that he has got a Smoothstepper working a few days ago.
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 09:54
WFY
Just call me: Buzz #60

Pembroke, Ontario
Canada
I am the one that Heath knows. Heath fixed me up with the parts to get this started. I did the cabinets and millwork for the Macs Milk store at the corner of Abbott and 15 hwy. a few years back.
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 10:35
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Was that Sean D or Sean R?

Buzz, Greg,
Maybe we can start the OMMBG, Ontario Mechmate Builders Group? Catchy name no?
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 10:52
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, thought it might confuse, so I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
. . son Sean . . .
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 11:44
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
I swapped over to the 30's and things smoothed out quite a bit. I'm excited about the Smooth Stepper though. I think that would convince me to put the 20's back on.

We're going to have to figure out a get together for the three of us sometime this summer!
Old Wed 17 June 2009, 14:48
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
I never noticed that when I read it the first time.
Old Thu 18 June 2009, 04:46
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heard today that the Smoothstepper is not going that smoothly . . . .

SmoothStepper looses communication with PC in the Troubleshooting Forum
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 12:18
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
I started cutting a bigger job with my server2000 machine as controller and ended up with a watchdog error which killed the job. Too bad as it was going well. I upgraded to XP and more ram etc. and I was able to get through the job with no unwanted interruptions. I'm running my printer port at 35k and am happy to run jobs at 200 ipm.

I have to add some brushes to my rails, I get lots of build up on my rails from styrofoam that is a pain to clean off.

My X axis steppers are running around 45 deg C. Is this ok?

Smoothstepper --> I don't really like the idea of putting the smoothstepper in with my computer. I wonder if ground is the issue. Maybe its related to the USB voltage difference bettween USB1 and 2?

Have a great weekend and happy cutting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holddown.jpg (41.3 KB, 1079 views)
Old Fri 19 June 2009, 12:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
45 deg C is very cool for a stepper motor.

Brushes for cleaning rails have never made sense to me - there will be no scrubbing, only sliding. I think a "scraper" with a v-notch will do a better job than the side of a bristle. Scraper made of plastic or even brass. Or oiled hard felt.
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 18:25
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Here's a few pics of my first real 3D cutting on the MM. It's working really well so far but man that pink foam cuttings gets everywhere!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plane1.jpg (48.7 KB, 995 views)
File Type: jpg plane2.jpg (54.7 KB, 996 views)
Old Fri 10 July 2009, 20:02
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

Is that a sailboat design I see sticking its hull out of that foam.

You have my attention. I would love to make some of them. Tell me more, please.
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 06:17
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Greg,
You want to see foam shavings! I filled a 3 Yd dumpster on Friday...of just the shavings.
What CAM engine are you using to create your files? The step over control looks very good from the picture.

(not that I am proud of that or anything)

Old Sat 11 July 2009, 16:23
bradyaero

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Hi Nils,

Actually, it's a one half of an airplane that I have designed. I am making a 1/4 scale version for RC testing. But I've attached a teaser for you of one of our boat designs.

Hi Sean,

I'm using RhinoCam for my gcode. Next time I cut, I am going to do things differently. I'll profile the outline in 2d first, get rid of the excess material and then jump right to my finishing passes. I figure I'll save about half the time on a job.

I had quite a time with foam shavings building up on my rails, rollers and rack. I've come up with what looks like a cheap and easy way to cover my wheels for my next job. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmdustcover.jpg (46.6 KB, 968 views)
File Type: jpg Kataraman.jpg (52.0 KB, 969 views)

Last edited by bradyaero; Sat 11 July 2009 at 16:27..
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 17:10
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Greg,
I am using RhinoCam as well.
I have found that I do a region that removes enough foam for clearance for the final tool bit. Then, Only create one parallel finishing pass w/ a high rate of step over....like 25%. Saves A LOT of cutting time. On the average I am shaving a hour off the cutting of each face. Currently I am cutting either 2 faces / 180 degrees out or 4 faces / 90 degrees apart.

I like your dust covers.

I have installed scrapers on the rail just infront of you dust box out of UHMW that "scrub" the rails like a cow pusher on a train. Works well enough so far.

Sean
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 17:16
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Greg,

It sure looks like a boat hull. I would like to see more of the airplane when you cut more.

That boat looks very fast. What size will it be?

I like your dust covers also. Did you put some felt inside? I would think you still have to have a way of cleaning the wheels because I am sure form will get in there.
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 20:31
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Greg,
Where is the dust collector?
Old Sat 11 July 2009, 22:00
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Heath, with a foam block that soft & deep, the dust collector either misses it or damages it - take your pick.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read