MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 701. Motor Drives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 27 January 2009, 16:57
a1graymatter
Just call me: Tim

Milan, IN
United States of America
Servo motors

Ok let me start off by saying I have no idea what Im doing on the electronics side of building. Heres what I have

Without looking I think I have 9 or 10 servo motors with built in encoders (so Ive been told) they worked fine on the machine they were on (packaging equipment) but were replaced when our company changed over to Allen Bradley motors. What I need to know is if I can use them on a router table.

I don't know what specs to give so ask and I will retrieve it. I also don't have the driver boards as they got thrown out before I found out what was going on!! Can they be run without the expensive driver boards (I priced some and they were pretty high)
Old Tue 27 January 2009, 19:33
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tim,
Have you tried the make and model number of the motor in Google? This might get you enough info to have someone give you an opinion.
Old Tue 24 February 2009, 12:01
jeff74diesel
Just call me: jeff

Manchester,TN
United States of America
I too find myself in the same situation as Tim. I have many kolmorgen U9M4LR servo disc motors. I too would like to use them in a router table. I did find a spec sheet by googling the model number. http://www.electromate.com/db_suppor...vodisc-cat.pdf
(I don't know how to make this a working link. sorry)
If anyone can look at the spec. sheet and tell what these motors are good for and like Tim said, locate an inexpensive driver board, I have more than I can use.
Old Tue 24 February 2009, 12:47
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
A quick glance through that spec sheet shows that it appears to be electrically compatible with a Gecko 320, at around $120 each. You'll
also need a quadrature shaft encoder for each motor, which will likely require some creativity. Commercial encoders can run hundreds of dollars each; here's an interesting hobby encoder: http://www.vexrobotics.com/vex-robot...oder-kit.shtml

What I haven't done is an analysis of the holding torque you need. I suspect you'll want to gear / timing belt down those motors both for torque and accuracy.
Old Tue 24 February 2009, 14:23
jeff74diesel
Just call me: jeff

Manchester,TN
United States of America
Thanks Brad for your info. I'll check out that link.

There are 4 wire optical encoders on some of them. I am only assuming the number of slots in the optic wheel means something along the line. I must admit, I am still educating myself in this area.

If these motors need gearing and other refiguring to make them work, they may not be a good choice for a MM. Although it all gets back to what is cheapest and best.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read