MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 24 May 2012, 07:41
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
To be honest I didnt even think of Copy Right infringement when I posted the file. I will be more cautious next time.
Old Fri 25 May 2012, 02:51
skillalot
Just call me: Sascha

Gelderland
Netherlands
I can't open the zip file for some reason. Unknown format or corrupted it says.
Anyone else having problems with opening it?
Old Fri 25 May 2012, 03:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Sascha, he told you to rename the file
Old Fri 25 May 2012, 07:15
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Make Baby Room.zip into Baby Room.dxf

Just have to change the last three letters of the name.
Old Fri 25 May 2012, 10:00
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
The switch to dxf works and the file opens in TurboCad w/no problem.

Thanks

Joe
Old Sat 26 May 2012, 03:20
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Russell

Watched your youtube video of the animal cutouts.
Your machine is running very nicely and that dust collector foot you made did not miss a thing.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 26 May 2012, 19:19
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I was able to weight the machine today. Came in at 2600lbs. I also had 3 sheets of MDF on the table so you can take away 240 lbs if you would like. Tomorrow it travels 540 miles to its new home.
Old Sun 27 May 2012, 12:05
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Regnar,

I liked the animals so I thought I would play with them a little.

I made the Elephant smaller and added some depth. I used some cheap China ply just to see how it would look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSCN0470.JPG (64.6 KB, 944 views)
File Type: jpg SSCN0471.JPG (64.2 KB, 947 views)
Old Sun 27 May 2012, 21:24
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Nils the elephant looks nice. I wanted to give mine some depth but my wife didnt want to give me the budget to do it. I think it was going to take 6 or 7 sheets. Are you going to paint him?

Today was a long day. I drove 540 miles with the MM in tow. Made it all the way here with no rain and a tropical storm sitting off the coast. I have to say I will probably take the gantry off next time and leave the table in place. What a pain in the a$$. So I will offer up my learning experience.

1. Buy 4 fixed caster and 4 swivel casters. You might be scratching your head why. 4 swivel to get the machine lined up with the trailer. Then switch out and goto 4 fixed casters to load onto the trailer.

2. A good qaulity car jack is your friend.

3. Buy the longest come-along you can find! 6 foot is not going to cut it. My new neighbor (Nice guy in my book) brought his 25ft long come-along and it worked out great.

4. DO NOT MOVE INTO A HOUSE WITH A CRAZY DRIVEWAY! You know how you win some battles and loose some. I lost this battle to my wife again. Will post a picture of my loss tomorrow when the sun comes up.

5. Tow truck drivers are not reliable. Have a plan "B" in place. My original plan was stuck at a dealership with a few blown tires. Tried other drivers but most didnt want anything to do with it. ( It is Sunday and a Holiday weekend)

6. Jack the front of the trailer up as high as you can. This way its a constant tension and the ramps will line up with the bed of the trailer.

All in all it wasnt bad just a lot of manual labor. No one got hurt and nothing was damaged and the machine is sitting in the garage so I won. Just it was a hard victory.
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 01:05
keithstanley
Just call me: Keith

Flintshire
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnar View Post

3. Buy the longest come-along you can find! 6 foot is not going to cut it. My new neighbor (Nice guy in my book) brought his 25ft long come-along and it worked out great.

All in all it wasnt bad just a lot of manual labor. No one got hurt and nothing was damaged and the machine is sitting in the garage so I won. Just it was a hard victory.
Well done Russell,

A question from someone living in the UK.....

What is a "come-along"?

Glad you won in the end. Did you photograph the event?

Now to cut something.....
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 01:15
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
This might give some answer, its a hoist device

https://www.google.com/search?q=come-along
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 04:41
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Regnar,

Sounds like you got things under control. I lucked out when I moved. I used some moving dollies to move the machine around. They worked great and are cheap.

I made him smaller. The elephant is about 3' long. My suggestion would be cut them smaller. I am going to recut out of 0.5" or 0.25" MDF and then paint him. Make a couple and paint different colors. I think they will sell.

Thanks for the file.
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 05:21
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Moving is pain staking & nerve racking; Sounds like you got it figured out.
Good job!
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 18:50
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Here are the photos as promised. One is of the drive way but it doesnt really show just how steep it really is. Draw a straight line along the bed of the truck and see how it lines up with the top of the garage.

The others are of the MM loaded up on the trailer. All the straps that you are able to see are for holding the tarp down. It worked with only a few holes in the tarp.

One is of the giraffe in the bedroom behind the crib.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo May 28, 6 34 11 PM (Custom).jpg (87.5 KB, 916 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 27, 6 12 42 AM (Custom).jpg (85.4 KB, 917 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 28, 5 47 02 PM (Custom).jpg (34.2 KB, 922 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 27, 6 12 54 AM (Custom).jpg (97.3 KB, 927 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 27, 6 13 29 AM (Custom).jpg (36.5 KB, 922 views)

Last edited by Regnar; Mon 28 May 2012 at 18:58..
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 21:05
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Hi Russell,

is almost like you stay on a hill and your drive way is like a straight road down
Old Tue 29 May 2012, 03:39
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell

I see you upgraded to a good truck. How you like the Nissan?
Old Tue 29 May 2012, 05:51
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Irfan it is pretty much that.

Nils, I have had the truck for 9 years now. 130,000 miles and the only thing I have had to pay to get done is a new window motor and reqular maintenance. I love this truck. I did add the camper shell to the back and new mirrors since the last time you seen it.
Old Tue 29 May 2012, 14:49
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I thought you had a Dodge Ram. Sorry.
Old Tue 29 May 2012, 19:03
fredjr
Just call me: jimmy #65

pensacola florida
United States of America
Smile

Russell: Nice to all your babies under one roof. Jimmy
Old Fri 01 June 2012, 00:00
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
You reversed the trailer up the drive?
Old Sat 02 June 2012, 17:23
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Red, I did back the trailer up the driveway. Just half way. The surge brakes on the trailer made it difficult.
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 18:45
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Stumped like a Chump

Ok here we go.

I started the day out by cutting a 5.0 square to check how the machine did on the trip. Machine cut it out great no hiccups until I busted out the ruler. The square measure 4.875. Well that is no good I say to myself.

I checked all the axis's for loose pinions or belts. Everything is snug and tight.

I checked Vcarve and make sure I selected the right tool. Everything is right there.

I checked the tool path on the toolpath screen and it was correct. So I say I must have messed up stepconfig and proceeded to cut out a 8 inch and 15 inch square. Both come up .125 too small.

I restarted the computer, reloaded files I checked to make sure Cutter Compensation was off, that the tool in the Tool Table was right and now I am stumped. Any Ideals on what to check next?
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 19:03
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Russell.
DId you check your tool file to make sure you are cutting (outside) the profile line and not on it? This would produce a smaller part than required.

Also verify that the tool you selected matches your tool profile. Like chucking up a 1/4" bit in a 1/2" cut profile would produce a part larger than specified, or vice versa.
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 19:15
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Sean those were the first things I checked. I cant tell you how many times I have figured everything for 1/8th endmill and chucked up a 1/4.
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 23:57
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell,

Did you check the squareness of the machine? You just moved the machine. Some thing could have got out of alignment.

Can you post the file?
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 07:11
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
EDIT: not sure how I missed this already stated so I apologize in advance
I said exactly what Sean stated
Just a quick thought. I may be dumb but I ain't smart.

Last edited by jessyjames; Tue 12 June 2012 at 07:31.. Reason: Must of skipped Seans comment by accident
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 07:27
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
you should have no info in Tool Table, all zeros. Vcarve takes care of that in gcode
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 09:04
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Russell, I must be something simple.....Try checking the scaling factor on the DRO to see if has been changed.
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 19:10
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Thank you everyone for your help. It was operator error and I really feel like an idiot. This will go down as a learning lesson. Good news is the spoil board is fresh, table is square, bearings are retorqued, rails a clean, and the table top is level to 1/10th of a degree.

Only took 8 hours in a hot garage and a night of thinking what the hell it could be.
Old Wed 13 June 2012, 01:14
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
With all the rain you are getting, what else are you going to do with your time.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read