MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 04 July 2011, 16:04
blakekoehn
Just call me: Blake #47

Macon, MS
United States of America
Bad Chatter on new motors

A friend of mine is building a nice plasma table loosely based on the Mechmate design. I am trying to help him get the bugs out of it. He has these Oriental PK296 Motors.

When they start and stop they chatter badly and lose some steps. We are trying to pinpoint the problem. Please note that I have built one mechmate already (#47) and it works very nicely so I am not a complete newbie.

His shop AC power runs a little more then we anticipated. 124 volts so our power supply is outputting 49 DC volts instead of the 39 that we were shooting for. Would this cause our problem, or do you think it is a mach 3 problem? We are using gecko drives and a version of Mach 3 along with a THC from CandCandC. Everything works correct, with no errors or such except that when we make a cut it does not come around and match up with where it started. This makes us believe it is loosing steps.

Thanks for ya'lls help!
Blake
Old Mon 04 July 2011, 17:08
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
loosely based on the Mechmate design

How loose? Rack & Pinion? Loose grub screws? Pictures would be nice.
Old Mon 04 July 2011, 20:33
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
The torch controller from cnc4pc is very possible the problem. The high freq and emf from the torch can cause this issue. Also, have you checked for mechanical slop? It does sound like pinion slip....like mentioned already
Old Tue 05 July 2011, 05:37
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Is the control box isolated from the table?
Old Tue 05 July 2011, 06:19
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Also are the motors new or used? I guess new based on the thread title.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read