MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 07 June 2010, 06:47
ChristopherB
Just call me: Critter

Cape Town
South Africa
Question Building a one axis (!) system _ Cape Town

I'm really amazed by this forum. And even more amazed that it's run from my city. Thank you to everyone involved.

I'm not building a full MechMate (just yet) but I am building part of one,
I'd be grateful for any advice.

I'm looking to get hold of a stepper motor and controller (i'll be happy to run it from a PC, but a dedicated control unit would be preferable) and use the system to move a camera back and forth on a track. The reason that I'd prefer a stepper motor is that, as far as I understand, it would allow for constant velocities but also have the option of smooth motion with intervals.

I'd be really grateful if anyone has any advice for me on the following questions:

Do I want to be using a stepper motor? Will it allow for intervals between movements? (ie. move the camera into a predefined position, be stationary while the camera takes a photograph, and then move again)

If yes, would it be the same motor that the MechMate uses? (The camera and lens and tripod weigh about 4KGs)

What would be the most basic dedicated control unit to control the movement of the motor? I'm pretty sure I don't need the Geckodrive unit, since the motion is single axis and uniform

Am I totally off the mark?

Is there somebody affiliated or visiting the forum who is in Cape Town and would like to be involved in the project? I have a budget, it's not massive but its something.

Again thanks in advance for any suggestions or help you might have.

Christopher
Old Mon 07 June 2010, 08:02
CAM Craft
Just call me: Sean D

Cape Town
South Africa
Well, i do have a fully functional MM for sale. The original machine that got this forum going. We are based in Salt River.
Old Mon 07 June 2010, 11:52
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
The original MechMate #1 for sale - Cape Town, South Africa
Old Thu 10 June 2010, 05:03
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Critter what you are proposing is 100% doable. Mach has a pause command.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read