MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 19 April 2010, 22:43
jgurland
Just call me: Josh

Maryland
United States of America
Greetings from Washington, D.C.

Hello, everyone. I'm Josh and I'm planning my first CNC build. I've been trolling the Internet for several months and decided the MechMate is the way to go.

So the good news is that earlier this evening I convinced my wife that building a CNC router is a necessity in my life. That was my biggest hurdle. The bad news is that my budget is $2,000. That's my second biggest hurdle.

Although I'm an avid woodworker with a complete shop at home, my metalworking experience is minimal and I don't have cutting or welding equipment at my disposal. That's my third large hurdle.

Given these two remaining challenges (budget and a lack of metalworking capability) I hesitated to even post in this "introduction and planning" forum, because maybe I'm just not ready. But I'm hoping for some guidance and encouragement from all of you that might help me along.

For what it's worth, I imagine using a CNC machine for signs and original artwork. I probably don't need a 4x8 machine, nor do I really need something as robust as the MechMate - but if I'm going to spend time and money building something I want it to be great and I want it to last. I'm quite sure I'll find new uses for it some day that can't be accommodated by a machine that is smaller or low quality.

I look forward to becoming part of the community!
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 02:51
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Josh,

Welcome.. I do not want to discourage you because I believe that if you have a desire to do some thing, you can fulfill that desire.

I would start on building the controller box and I would consider using belt drives. You can purchase less expensive motors when using belt drives.

There is some savings in making the table smaller but go for what you want build over time and can have the machine you want.

Sell some of the things you make and put a percentage to the MM.

Good luck with your build.
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 05:49
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Josh,

I don't want to discourage you, but honestly 2000USD for a Mechmate is not really doable and I don't think anybody ever done it for that money the Mechmate way. Even if you go for simpler electronics and cheap steppers you can easily already spend 8000USD just on the controlbox, computer and rest of the electronics (not including cables).

What I would do is ask all prices around first before you start building. If you really don't have more then 2000USD and cannot spend a dime more, then I would hate you see you started and disappointed because you cannot finish the build. Create a list of materials and parts so you are sure it fit's within budget, have some room for unexpected buys. Then buy them once you are sue it can be done with your budget. It also helps to spread the build over a year orso, and wait for x-mass

Some helpers...
- Motionking has some cheap steppers and drivers, and you can use them very well direct drive, many people do here.
- Have any friends that can help out with welding? So you don't have to buy a welding machine.
- Look really sweet at Mike, he might beable to give you a discount on his laser parts
- Dietech has cheap racks and pinions, but for a reasonable quality.
- Buy 'scrap' metal, that seems to be cheaper, I hear some people did..
- Ask here on the forum if anybody has a MM for sale, sometimes they get sold in finished or un-finished state.

- Don't try to shortcut and save money on places that wasn't proofed by people it can be done. The MM is VERY well thought of and about everything has a reason why it's there, or not there.
- Making a smaller Mechmate is not going to save you a lot of money, but build but size you expect to need in the feature or near feature.

Ries
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 05:56
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Hmm. I think you want to look over what Lumberjack Jeff did. Maybe check with him and see if he's happy with his table's performance over time.

I agree with Nils; belt drives. I recommend the Geckodrive 540 solution to drive them.

You may want to consider making a quick budget of everything you *must* buy, like the lasercut steel kit, racks, motors, gears, etc. Then you'll know how hard you have to scrounge for all of the remaining pieces.
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 07:54
jgurland
Just call me: Josh

Maryland
United States of America
Thanks for all the advice so far everybody (including those of you who PM'd me.)

Brad, thank you for the link to Lumberjack Jeff. That's an awesome build especially for the money. I also like your idea of first making a list of the "must buy" stuff first.
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 17:01
Hillbillie
Just call me: Larry

Paragould, AR
United States of America
Welcome Josh,

As already mentioned get as much used stuff as possible. Some old farms, (maybe not in DC) are a good place to find pieces of steel, control boxes etc. You might can find a 48v charger from a golf cart (not sure but sounds good).

A lot of people buy the lasercut parts kit with the parts already bent. But that is pushing $500.00. You will most likely have to cut these yourself, or get a friend that has this experience to do it for you.

The Z motor could be the weaker of the other motors.

Be hunting for a good used router at a yard sale. But you might already have one.

Good Luck!!
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 19:43
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome, Josh.
Yes I feel the pain of limited resources can lead to but that should be the fuel to push your resourceful-ness.
I tried to budget for a sub US2K build but it is really impossible.
When money is in the short, time is your best friend. Take time to study the system as much as possible & you may find things that you can do rather then buy. Laser cut parts is a significant cost but if you spend enough time on it, you can hand cut a set , you have no choice but to grind your own rail & getting a friend with a lathe machine to machine all the V-wheels. forget about the cable chain & spindle, you can hang the cable off the roof & run a router to start with. forget about belt reduction, OM motors & Gecko drives.You can go for direct drive, Chinese motor, all Chinese electronics & gear racks. They are working for me, & I hope it will work for you too.
Rewind a microwave transformer if you must & parallel up a whole bank of small capacitors as PSU capacitor bank.
Jeff had shown us it is possible to build the table from wood, old microwave oven for the control panel.
As for the computer, I'm sure you can figure something out.
As for the shielded cable, you can do without if you know how to avoid noise from getting to all the vital electronics. The best approach is to avoid bundling cables together, give the enough space from each other & live by good wiring layout practice. I can't emphasis more on educate yourself in EMI noise.

Good luck!
Old Tue 20 April 2010, 22:51
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Good luck on the build.

Look hard at scrap yards and surplus for pieces cheap. I would honestly look at 640oz (Or close) Nema 34 motors on a direct drive to start with, You can find them used and won't have the cost of the belts to deal with. You resolution won't be as detailed, but will get results that can earn money and when you do upgrade to belt drives the motors will be used for the belt drives also.
Old Wed 21 April 2010, 08:16
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome and Good Luck Josh. Jeff's build, as stated is the best example of a frugal build I can think of as well.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read