MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 05 September 2009, 05:44
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Control box location ! - Wall vs Table base

Is it my mind who is playing trick or I’ve truly read before that, it is not recommended to have the control box located & fixed to the table base ?
I just can’t seem to find this thread
Can one explain why it’s not recommended ??
Thanks , Robert
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 06:10
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Gerald actually reccomends that the box be mounted to the wall but quite a few have mounted it to the side of the machine. Nobody has reported that as being a poor choice so far but there are dangers associated with dust ingress, the box and lid mounted switches getting knocked by boards and possibly stacking boards against it which may inhibit the cooling.

However when I build my next one I probably will also mount the box on the side as then I can use shorter cables and dont have them running across the floor. If done correctly it could make for a more compact arrangement.
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 06:27
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
As Alan said, I think the wall is the safer, cleaner location. Also, I just know that if I mount it low under the table, I will have a lot of faults to find in there to kill my back.
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 06:43
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Robert,

Having the box up on a wall makes it easier to work on if you need to. Most likely you will not need to change any thing once you are operating but do you really want to be on the floor if you find you have a problem or need to trouble shoot a problem or want to add some thing that you can not live with out.
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 07:01
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Among other dilemma, one obvious, as you point, is between a more compact set up with shorter wiring and less across the floor, vs damaging it, dust problems and… back braking… just to see a few !!
I thought I read before on this forum some concern about electrical possible problems ( Ie : noise interference, induction interference, shielding etc ) aside of physical disadvantages.
I’m not all for it but wanting to see others point of view and if it is / could be a major mistake in the long run so it could maybe help me decide as I’m at this point in my planning.
Thanks
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 09:00
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I do not think that electrical noise interference is a factor in the decision.
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 10:35
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Take a look at this example, David has a nice solution.
Old Sat 05 September 2009, 14:19
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If I did put the control box under the table, I would probably put it under the end of the x-cable chain.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 07:03
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
In retrospect, I would have to agree with Gerald on the placement as I had to run all my cables to the other side. I can't remember why I put it on the opposite side to begin with. Also, you really don't need to have a control box so large. One would have done the job.

Also, another consideration, is the deeper the box, the more difficult it will be to use clamps because the box gets in the way. Be prepared to get fancy with your clamping system if you go down the same road I did. If I were to do it all over again, I would have a roll around cart Much like Irfan and keep as much open space under the table "open" for clamping. Obviously, when one is designing things, you often over look some things. So, think carefully about how you will use the Mechmate before deciding on your control box location.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 08:24
jeffa
Just call me: Jeff

Iowa
United States of America
Robert,

We elected to mount our control box on the base. The mounting location is toward the front on the left-hand side when facing the machine just in front of the start of the X-axis cable chain mount. Our plan is to come out of the side of the control box right up onto the cable chain mount with our cables. Also, we are using vibration isolator mounts for the control box.

Here are some photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MechMate01_ 022_607x455.jpg (148.9 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg MechMate01_ 023_607X455.jpg (145.7 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg MechMate01_ 015_607x455.jpg (157.5 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg MechMate01_ 016_607x455.jpg (171.2 KB, 426 views)
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 09:06
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by liaoh75 View Post
. . . . another consideration. . . . the more difficult it will be to use clamps because the box gets in the way. Be prepared to get fancy with your clamping system . . . . .
That is a very valid observation, thanks David.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 17:33
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Hey Robert,

I considered both wall and table mount for my MM and ending up choosing table mount for the following reasons.
- Damage to the box/buttons is a non issue for me. if you are that reckless with boards around your machine there are more sensitve parts that are more exposed than the control box (Motors, cable chains etc). I could agree that if you put you box at the end of the table then it will be easy to damage it but not at the side. In fact, I saw the risk of damaging the cables running across the floor as being greater.
- Shorter neater cables. I have the control box at the end of the X axis cable chain and the cable flow neatly into the top of the box.
- I don't see Dust as an issue. The box is IP67 rated which means its totally dust proof and so could even handle being immersed in water up to 1m. Dust will only build up on the top surface which contributes nearly nothing to convective heat transfer. Its the vertical walls that provide the cooling. And i would never lean boards against the side of the table with the X axis cable chain.
- It is likely i will need to move it at some point and I don't want to be restricted in placement (within x metres of a wall etc).
- I'm still reasonably young and don't mind sitting on the floor to fix a wiring issue.

oh, here's a pic of mine.
Old Mon 07 September 2009, 04:05
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Thanks guys,
It's very interesting to see some of those different set ups and surly It will help more than just me. I’m convinced this tread will also help some other uncertain ones too!
As for me, I’ll go with the traditional version, wall mount!
I’m precocious about this SS usb thing. So I’ll go as Gerald suggested, SS mounted in the computer then flat ribbon to the PMDX, that’s part why I’ll go with all close on a wall mount.

Beside I rather try a remote keyboard & mouse with Bluetooth technology combine with a long screen cable (50ft) and if any trouble with that, go back with keyboard & mouse on cable VS messing and diagnostic troubleshooting SS ifs, buts & funny erratic irregularities.
On the long run, I’m ready to simply ditch this SS if I see / get too much trouble with it, but on the other side, let’s see first all this in a working state before assuming anything wrong at this stage.
Amicalement, Robert
Old Mon 07 September 2009, 13:03
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
I think it would be better to use a screened cable between the SS and the PMDX rather than the ribbon cable.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read