MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 24 November 2010, 23:13
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Opps that is not correct !! My apologies Ken.

The 3:1 reduction at http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...p?t=366&page=9 post 252 would fit. That is what I loosely based my design upon.

BUT a few quick measurements of the common 4:1 reduction drives indicate the assembly would be forced down past the clearance area of 27mm I have allowed.
My assumption that the larger gear could move up is wrong as the pinion the larger reduction gear is centered upon, needs to mesh against the rack causing gear diameter to control the fitment.

I have a comfortable 45 mm further the existing hinge assembly can drop using my existing fixing method.
I have not used this "yet" as I was trying to preserve the clearance under the board for jacking the table to move it.
If I was to borrow some of this jacking clearance and use a plate to connect the X beam to the 40x40 SHS another 60 mm additional to the 45mm is available.

Regards
Ross
Old Thu 25 November 2010, 00:25
EricW
Just call me: Eric

WI
United States of America
Wow. I feel like such an idiot watching some of these machines being put together. Very nice job.
Old Thu 25 November 2010, 02:14
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Ross, no apologies required. we just wanna save time for more fun
Incidentally, I'm also working on 4:1 BR box. my max distance is ~80mm from my present motor center to the top of the cable trunk... the 72th pulley has Radius of 60mm... give a 100 extra for the 34th piion & I get a real tight 100 clearance... not really a comfortable clearance.
BTW, I did jacked & pushed my MM around the workshop a couple of times (alone), using 3 normal car jack trolleys (borrowed), one at the center of leading end bottom cross pipe & 2 at the trailing end cross pipe near the legs never have to put anything on the sides where the penals are locate. & the mm is as light as feather when pushed on wheels
Eric, I felt like the biggest idiot on earth during my build...
Old Thu 25 November 2010, 03:21
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
sorry, it should have been 10mm instead of 100mm... must be the flu pills working with my finger-eye-brain coordination
Old Thu 25 November 2010, 04:46
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
ooohhhhh Panel .... I was wondering
Old Thu 25 November 2010, 05:23
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Ken

Just bit the bullet and modeled it all in CAD and yep I get around 10mm clearance using a common 4:1 belt reduction design from the numbers you have given me.
Mine is a little different but not that different, so the fix is to move the 40x40 SHS down 40mm or so and everything will miss regardless of if a 3:1 or 4:1 reduction is used.

I hereby surrender my jacking clearance under the control boxes and move on, haha.

Now for the small matter of those four holes in the side of the X beam.
Maybe some mystery bolts, those bolts that hold nothing on to anything for no apparent reason might be the fix there !!!

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 04:42
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
A few days on and I have made some more room for the 4:1 belt reductions in my design for the tilt up control boxes.
To get the clearance, the hinge point was dropped by 40 mm.
Why are those four bolts along the top of the hinge point ?
Surely they must be holding SOMETHING up hey Ken !

The sloped standoffs are designed to head the cables towards the cable exit holes (these have not yet been cut).
IMG_1085.jpeg

On the other side of the plastic panel I modified 4 rubber door stops to act as bumpers where the panel closes against the frame.
The bottom of plastic panel straightens up nicely when the boxes are bolted to it and it has a bit of weight on it.
IMG_1087.jpeg

Although I announced the mechanical part of the build was over a while back !!!
I had not mounted the Z cable chain, so put that on this evening.
IMG_1084.jpeg

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 07:43
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Nice job!
I honestly have no idea what the 4 holes are for... My best bet is that they are in the best location for the positive chi flow path in your room feng shui...
Old Tue 30 November 2010, 09:35
Polder48
Just call me: polder

Edam
Netherlands
These holes was the former location of the hinges bar, see post 297.
Old Fri 10 December 2010, 04:18
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Finished the Swing up Control Boxes with some cable exit holes through the back of the panel.
Forgot to take a pic but will put one up when I next post into the forum.

Added a larger junction box on the machine to make the "busy box" wiring a bit easier. Put some Mechmate logos on a well.
IMG_1096.jpeg

Also made a bracket, painted it black and put some cable tray across it as I just could not find a suitable 40 x 40 mm conjuit here in Australia.
I have just copied other machines such as us Maddog, Skippy and Geralds machine(s) that use this cable management system.
IMG_1097.jpeg

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 10 December 2010, 05:09
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
My local electrical supplier has a range of shrink tubing. so here is the end result of my cable mock up.
Due to the number of cables, marking them is a priority.
My final result is these simple, cheap cable ties with a marking area.
These are available on ebay from an Aussie HiFi store.
Might make sure I have a better marker for clearer lettering as the test one was blunted and running out !!
IMG_1098.jpeg

Some things are hard to photograph well, the cable management at the back of the control box support board (for those that can figure it out)
IMG_1099.jpeg
IMG_1100.jpeg

My glycol and pump tank has had a hinge added to it for access.
A little more dust sealing (somehow) and it is done.
IMG_1101.jpeg
IMG_1102.jpeg

Last thing was putting a piece of 4mm acrylic under the junction box to stabilize it - worked a treat.
IMG_1103.jpeg

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 10 December 2010, 08:59
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The 40 X 40 conduit is available from NHP Electrical Engineering Products who have branches all over Aus.
Part no.: T14040BX
Description.: BOX CABLE DUCT.PVC W40XH40
Old Fri 10 December 2010, 16:51
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
The local NHP branch is no more than a few kilometres away !
Cheers Gerald.
Old Fri 10 December 2010, 20:08
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Nice work Ross !! When is the big day?? first cuts ??
Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 10 December 2010, 22:57
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Tony

Lining all my ducks up but it has taken quite a bit of time to acquire the materials this week.
Still one part short for the VFD that I just keep forgetting to buy !!
Sure will be a good day when the machine moves, so I should not put it off too much longer.

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 07:12
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
It moves - and fast too !

Hi All

My latest news is I have my machine moving autonomously.
Over the past few evenings I have been able to look at the relationships between motor tuning and the microstepping in fine detail.

So far I have the machine running at 35k in Mach3, firstly 1/8 then 1/10 microstepping for the X and Y axis and 1/16 microstepping for the Z axis.
By tuning the motor acceleration, speeds and microstepping I have been able to achieve either a wickedly fast machine (boy those rapids are something) or a very sedate and smooth machine.
It is nice to have a working Mechmate to test on, quickly the tuning side of things becomes quite intuitive.
The Logitech wireless rumble pad controller works well (so far) and it certainly surprises onlookers when they see it in use.

I have wired the 2.2 kw water cooled spindle and the VFD.
The VFD lights up on power on but I have not yet set the PD parameters.
I can not yet claim a working machine as I have not cut something yet but once I figure out the VFD menus ... well, watch this space.
Also got the pump and cooling pipes installed so not long now.

Still lots of control buttons and proximity switches to get going along with general tidying up to do, but in time, I might just make something, haha.

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 09:30
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Man that looks great. Your very close !!! Strap a pen on that thing and draw us a picture !!
Old Fri 17 December 2010, 23:24
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Got my Machine Cutting Today !!

Hi All

IMG_1113.jpeg

IMG_1112.jpeg

A bit dusty, a bit rough on the carving but still a tick for the life list today.
Initially the sign cut as a mirror image, so a few more tweaks were required in Mach3 for those of you that don't always read the forum in the mirror. haha.

Once I sort out a video of the machine cutting my thank you to Gerald and Mike, I will post up a link so you all may see the latest Mechmate on the block in action.

Kindest Regards
Ross
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 00:18
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Video

Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWMEpaKEYJA for a look at my machine cutting the sign.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 00:49
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Well done Ross!
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 02:08
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Well done Ross!!

Great to see!! Sitting in the garage at present still trying to get the Matty Zee pluggin working and saw your post.

Congrats Mate.

Cheers
Tony & Paul
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 03:16
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Congrat!
Seeing a new virgin cut put a smile on my face.
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 03:56
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi

Gerald, Tony and Ken - thanks for your nice comments.

Like you Tony, there is more to do but for the moment I am still smiling at how the blue beast runs.

For your entertainment, today also had another series of firsts not limited to but including...
- first time I ran into a clamp
- first time I crashed the Z into the support board
- first time I jogged the gantry backwards (eg the wrong direction) into a stop.

Regards
Ross (Trainee Expert)
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 06:07
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hey….Great !!!
Congrats mate…Mech MATE that is
Almost a yr anniversary since your 1st post ;0)
Happy “MechMate” birthday to you and lots of fun to come
Amicalement, Robert
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 07:32
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Robert

You are spot on with that build timing, as I can recall going to a New Years function and saying "I'm going to build a robot".
Took some doing but I got there in the end. Thanks again for your interest and support along the way.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 08:07
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfcnc View Post
Hi

....... today also had another series of firsts not limited to but including...
- first time I ran into a clamp
- first time I crashed the Z into the support board
- first time I jogged the gantry backwards (eg the wrong direction) into a stop.
Now you truely a MechMate!

Now worries, I can assure you will run into worst scenario
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 08:24
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...wait until you can't get to the clamp quick enough and just cut through it! My big 8" c (g) clamp is now 2 - j's.....LOL

Have fun.....don't worry - it' pretty hard to break the machine - it's designed pretty well. Trust me, I have tried a lot.
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 08:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I think the prize for the most spectacular crash still goes to David in Taiwan where his gantry ran right off the machine and landed on the floor!
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 09:38
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Congrats !!! You get SN 74 !!! .. Nice build. Looking forward to seeing projects !!
Old Sat 18 December 2010, 10:14
fanefane
Just call me: Stefan #73

Baia Mare
Romania
Congratulations you too for your MechMate! And for us all we have finished it in the last month of this year! You've done a great job!!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read