MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 01 June 2015, 10:25
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Also, it states 1x D, so with a 1/2" bit, I should be taking 1/2" per pass?
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 10:35
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
It would appear you had a 0.004" chipload with the speeds you were running. I would start with 0.08 - 0.012" and go from there. Try 10k RPM and 180IPM. That would be a starting point. Depth of cut would depend on the tool but I would start with no more than 1/2 of the diameter while testing. This is an assumption but I think most Mechmates are not run that fast and doubt if it would render a good finish cut. I have run 240IPM before but I am selective on the speed based on the material and bit.
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 10:42
pblackburn

United States of America
Remember these are calculations and will have to be run adjusted. They normally say with the calculated to start with 70% for the feed. So if your feed is to be for example 200IPM then either start with the g code set to 140IPM or set your feedrate override to 70% before starting. If you have a good bit you trust, you could start with full pass depth of 1/2". But don't jump in whole hog, test and inspect, modify and test, modify and test. Once you see the finish deteriorate or the bit too hot then back off to the previous setting.
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 12:22
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Thanks Pete, that was very helpful. I am over 200 ipm with good results and making chips instead of powder

I appreciate your feedback!
Mark
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 13:19
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Well my bit is getting hot after 15 mins of cutting. My router will only go down to 10K, so is my only other option to keep raising the feed rate? If so, than is this an example of where a spindle is better than a router (being able to get lower RPM's)?
Mark
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 13:24
pblackburn

United States of America
You could use air assist cooling but only if you have adequate dust collection. It does take a lot of air just a trickle or break up your continuous run to give a little cool down time.
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 13:38
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
ok, I can break up the number of parts into smaller runs and get through this job. Do you know, if I am correct about my logic on the spindle vs. router? Wouldn't mind "to have to" get a spindle
Thanks
Mark
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 13:41
pblackburn

United States of America
You could run the spindle at 8000 or you could go to a single edge tool
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 13:48
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
I am hearing that I should buy a nice new spindle for #119....I'm gonna tell my wife you said so!
Again, really appreciate your help, Pete.
Thanks
Mark
Old Mon 01 June 2015, 14:32
pblackburn

United States of America
I would opt for a different tool first but if I must be the reason I can be that also.
Old Tue 02 June 2015, 13:54
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Even with the spindle I would go with a single flute cutter.
I would guess that some of that heat is generated by the router being run under less rpm/power, at least that is what I saw with my router when trying run in the lower speed range. A spindel will have no issues with lower speeds as long as you maintain the recommended speeds set by the manufacturer (8k min.)
Old Tue 02 June 2015, 18:18
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Thanks Steve.
I have ordered some carbide single edge,and will give that a try. I dulled what I was using, I think I was ruining the plunge rate to slow. I was goning to post and ask, when setting the feed rate, is the plunge set the same?
Mark
Old Wed 03 June 2015, 18:20
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
<<is the plunge set the same?>>
I use a half speed on the plunge
Old Wed 03 June 2015, 20:06
pblackburn

United States of America
I normally ramp in and rarely plunge as the bearings are not really set for an axial load but rather for a radial load. If you do plunge and do not know how the bit will behave start at 15 to 30 and listen to the process. If it is too aggressive, you will hear it. If not, you can increase it.
Old Thu 04 June 2015, 09:32
IMMark

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Thanks, I will do some experimenting on plunge rates and ramping.
But that gives me a starting point.
Thanks again
Mark

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read