MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 29 September 2013, 10:38
Mojo
Just call me: SolarImages

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Thanks for the insight about duck work had not thought of that. I am currently leaning toward concrete for the MM area and wood flooring everywhere else as I like to walk on something with a little flex also I lay larger jigs on the floor for bigger projects. So 6" dust duct and a 2" electrical duct I think? Any thoughts?
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 12:59
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Talking Sounds about right

Mojo,

Your guess is about right, IMHO. But whatever you do, in some way it will not be enough, and to much at the same time.

You might want to run air either through a separate conduit or in the same as either. But water coming from it (condensation) you don't want to mix with water or even 'dry' wood chips would make me want a 3rd conduit if economically possible.

Personally I am a big believer in hardwired ethernet rather than wireless, especially in a shop (noisy) environment.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 13:29
Mojo

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
I think I am going to with a concrete slab where the machine will be placed and wood flooring everywhere else. Didn't think about preplumbing dust collectors and electrical conduit in the floor will have to look at that closely . Got any photos of what you did? Thanks for the input!
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 18:01
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Here's a link to my Phil Thien separator experience. The last photo is of my in-shop Dust Collector closet.

I laid out the placement of the machines on the shop floor and created a "tree" design for the dust collector ducts. At each machine, I have a Greenbox automatic dust gate. These dust gates open automatically when I turn on the associated machine. I don't have a photo of this design.

In my build thread, there is one photo of one of the dust ports and associated dust gate at the lower right corner of the incomplete MechMate.

I think your idea of putting in 6" dust collector ducts and 2" conduit would be very good (I ran individual conduits to each machine and put boxes in the floor for receptacles). You might investigate the specific design of the duct system. A problem can develop if you oversize the ducts. If the air volume is not sufficient, dust particles will accumulate in the duct. So you should carefully design the duct system so that air flow is maintained. In my case the "tree branches" are 4" pipes.

Good luck with your shop and MechMate.
Old Mon 30 September 2013, 01:01
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
John, that was a beautiful Thien mod.
Old Mon 30 September 2013, 11:29
Mojo

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Shop

Thanks for the input that looks like a great system!
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 11:19
Mojo

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Smile Shop done!

Finally shop is done 20x32 now for some organization and mechmate time begins!
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 13:24
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
What is a Thein

I looked up thein on the internet and could not find a suitable answer.
What is a thein?
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 14:24
Mojo

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Typo I believe
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 16:01
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
A "thien" is actually a person, Phil Thien. He's the creator of a very effective, inexpensive "baffle" that improves the operation of a dust collector. Follow the link in Post #34 (above) to visit his Website and see his invention in action.

Last edited by jhiggins7; Mon 09 December 2013 at 16:02.. Reason: Correct spelling.
Old Mon 09 December 2013, 17:52
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
http://webpages.charter.net/pjboling...le%20plans.pdf

Thein and Pentz
Old Wed 11 December 2013, 17:02
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
http://www.jpthien.com/ - Is Phil Thein's web site that has his dust collection and other project information available.

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/ is great information. Reading it stem to stern is great to learn about small particle

After having read both sites, I like the Thein baffle for a 'chip collector' especially in smaller systems. The Pentz design for a cyclone separator is great. A full size cyclone system (with cyclone for chips and larger particles, and Wynn filters for the smaller/smallest particles are great.

Many cannot afford to build a Pentz type cyclone system especially with the size of motor is needed. But whatever can be done is better than 'nothing' like many of us have.

If you can afford to purchase a quality cyclone system, http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ systems are made from the Bill Pentz design and they sell parts if you want to DIY a Pentz cyclone (impeller and motor may be hard to find).

Chips and sawdust are a nuisance, but if not managed, they can also be a health issue. ... Be safe out there.
Old Wed 15 January 2014, 05:13
Mojo

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
Shop photo

here is the two photo's i think i am posting lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0711.JPG (31.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0713.JPG (39.8 KB, 130 views)
Old Wed 15 January 2014, 06:46
Mojo

Bisbee, AZ
United States of America
My first DXF file!

This will go on the front gate when i can cut it
Attached Files
File Type: zip Taylor Ranch.dxf.zip (148.0 KB, 15 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read