MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 23 September 2011, 22:42
joselalupa
Just call me: joselalupa

santo domingo
Dominican Republic
about to start buying to make my table

hi, maybe this question have been aroung since ages but can't find any answer to my pledge.
i am about to build my mech but there is a lot of different information and options.
my table will be 8 x 10 feet. recently i've seen interesting design based on aluminum extrude, is that suitable for routing? is it stable and sturdy enough?
my idea is to have a dual purpose table: plasma and router changing the head of the spindle to make the movement lighter.
what i would like is a general avice on what direction should i follow.
next i'll list what i have considered to build my model, please help me deciding because i know a wrong direction to follow means a lot of money at the size i am planning:

for general structure aluminum extrude
as linear rail i plan to use round sbr20
pinion and gear
nema34 for all axes
ballscrew for z axis.

i am actually looking for information before doing anything else.
i konw this information is kind of vage but would like ti know opinions to start defining details of my project
thanks a lot
Old Sat 24 September 2011, 00:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Multi-purpose machines are generally compromised, they always end up being the Jack of all trade, Ace of non...
Old Sat 24 September 2011, 04:09
joselalupa

santo domingo
Dominican Republic
so your recomendation is going for two setups. any suggestions about the list i wrote? actually what i need to cut with plasma is pretty simple shape so the specs should point to router. is aluminum possible?
Old Sat 24 September 2011, 04:56
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Aluminum is possible, but it's not what we do here, we are pretty dedicated to the MechMate design, which is welded steel. There are many other possible designs; see cnczone for them.

In general, the aluminum designs are not as stiff, which matters when taking either large or accurate cuts in wood; for plasma they are sufficient.

Your list of materials implies on of the aluminum designs; the MechMate design relies on fabricating V-roller rails from steel.

You may want to research a bit more on what type of machine best fits your needs, and if you choose the MechMate design you'll find lots of support here.
Old Sun 25 September 2011, 07:09
joselalupa

santo domingo
Dominican Republic
thanks a lot bradm, i am investigating the best option to build.
i think i'll go aluminum for plasma and mechmate for router, i'll take your advice.
thanks a lot

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read