MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 28 March 2010, 13:37
myousry
Just call me: myousry

alexandria
Egypt
Gathering Electronics Parts! - Alexandria Egypt

hi everybody i really really thanks everyone for this beautiful site. i kept looking around for the best site to build a cnc machine and never got better than this .
my name is mohamed yousry i am an accountant -yes it does not relate to my job at all-and my partner walid abed also an accountant , i live at the beautiful city alexandria, Egypt it's on the Mediterranean sea and he lives in a damnhour . we already have a modest cnc machine that we bought from http://thommcarr.com/index.html the problem with this machine that it's so slow and we need a faster one .so we decided to build rather than buy . so we studied from this site as much as we could and we made our order from steve -PMDX for a PMDX-125 bundled with 4 gecko and the PMDX-135 5020 and PMDX-106 spindle controller interface .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all.jpg (154.2 KB, 1052 views)
File Type: jpg pmdx-106.jpg (194.2 KB, 1057 views)
File Type: jpg pmdx-125.jpg (186.2 KB, 1050 views)
File Type: jpg pmdx-135.jpg (163.6 KB, 1045 views)
File Type: jpg pmdx-125-2.jpg (183.8 KB, 1043 views)
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 13:42
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Myousry
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 13:46
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
the 4 gecko didnt arrive because of a mistake by PMDX company as they didn't enclose them with our order. Later on the company found they were wrong and they are now in their way to us . As everyone can see the PMDX-125 has some terminals little bit bent, an error from ARAMEX the shipping company and after filling a complain application for its bad shipping service it cost them not to pay for the custom and the salestax for that order and the shipping charge was nothing to us
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 13:47
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
welcome heath thanks a lot
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 13:54
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
my plan is a 3.0m by 2.4 m with 3 axis at first it intend to use PK299-F4.5A from oriental motor as with belt no backlash. i will go for unipolar or bipolar -parallel . can anybody tell me the best torrodial transformer for me ????
i will go buying the chinese spindle and the delta VFD-EL series or VFD-B series
can anyone tell what will suit my PMDX-106 ???
thanks a lot guys
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 19:26
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Welcome. The mechmate will prevail over the one you bought.
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 20:13
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome!
Even accountants (2 of them to be exact) thinks that the MM is a bang for the buck...

hope to see you progress
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 20:58
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I followed the link they posted for thier other machine,... the mechmate compared to what they have now is like night and day, going from a dinky car to a Bugatti. Seriously. The one they have now fits on a desk. LOL.
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 21:12
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
They actually sell those toothpick framed CNC router for real money???
WOW!!! I admire their marketing skill!
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 22:13
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Its only $950 dollars though. Huge price difference. As the saying goes,... you get what you pay for
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 23:24
Sergio-k
Just call me: Sergio #61

Athens
Greece
Welcome Myousry.

The answer to your power supply need lies here : http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Study the forum a lot
Study the plans a lot
and then study the forum a lot, study the plans a lot ..............

I still remember that this was the first advise they gave me (Ries)
and the most important one !!.

Good luck with your build.
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 06:12
quadtech
Just call me: Prasad

Hyderabad
India
Mohamed,

Those terminals on the PMDX are bent pretty bad.
Hope you checked with a multimeter/continuity tester that each
terminal makes proper electrical contact with the PCB traces.
Good luck with your build.
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 08:07
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The PK299-F4.5 motor is rated 2.5mH inductance. You can use a power supply up to 50V. I get excellent results with a 35VDC power supply, but I have also used a 48VDC power supply. When the motor is wired bipolar parallel, and run from a 48VDC power supply, the motor will run hot. Mine runs at 80C. When wired half-coil, the motor will run at about 65C.

Multiply the DC voltage that you want by 0.7071 to get the AC voltage of the transformer that you'll need. A 25VAC transformer will give you about 35VDC and a 35VAC transformer will give you about 50VDC. The actual voltage depends on the line voltage going to the transformer and the diodes used in the power supply to change AC to DC.

Remember that the PK299-F4.5 motor pulls 4.5A when wired half-coil and 6.3A when wired parallel. If you wire the motors half-coil, a 25VAC 300VA transformer would be my first choice. A 35VAC 450VA transformer would be my second choice. If you wire the motors parallel, a 25VAC 400VA transformer would be my first choice and a 35VAC 550VA transformer would be my second choice.

Running the motors at 35VDC instead of 50VDC will cost you a little speed, but even if you add a belt drive 4:1, you'll only need about 750 RPM to jog an axis at 900 inches per minute. The PK299 will run faster than 1,000 RPM at 35VDC.
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 14:06
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
hi mike i found in the forum an excel file that calculate the required power supply do you think this file is okay or it's wrong? i attached the a photo of the calculation . i intend to buy from antek a toroidal transformer but i am confused with their datasheets as the calculation of the excel file does not match. how will this calculation suits my PMDX-135 5020? will this power source board be able to bear the load in case i go for bipolar parallel as i see the required current 25.2 and the PMDX-135 5020 only 20 thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif excelcalculation.gif (12.4 KB, 999 views)
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 14:11
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
hi mike do this http://www.antekinc.com/pdf/AN-8234.pdf suits my needs or i will begin to a smoke party in my workshop
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 14:58
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
well i did own a cnc machine and here somethings we already done with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1179.JPG (59.0 KB, 1002 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1368.JPG (55.4 KB, 994 views)
File Type: gif alhamed.gif (142.9 KB, 1009 views)
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 21:01
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The motors won't draw the maximum current unless they are run at full load. You'll be safe if you rate the total draw at 66% of maximum (see Gerald's posts about current consumption). I used the lower figures when I recommended the 25VAC 300VA transformer (for half-coil) or the 25VAC 400VA transformer if you wire the motors bipolar parallel.

You can use the 35VAC models, but you will mostly end up with excessive heat. The higher speed will be of no use on a CNC router unless you like to get gray hair. I jog my machine at 12-ips. That's fast enough when you're using high torque motors that might force the gantry into the stops if something goes wrong. (It makes an impressive noise when the gantry hits the stops, even at 12-ips.) A 25VAC transformer will give you about 35VDC. That will easily let the motors spin at 1,000 RPM, which, even at 4:1, will let the machine jog faster than 15-ips.

25 VAC X 12 Amps = 300 VA

The Antek AN3225 is large enough if you wire the motors half-coil.

The Antek AN4225 would be better if you wire the motors bipolar parallel.

Even if you wire the motors bipolar parallel, they will draw less than 17A (6.3A X 4 = 25.2A and 25.2A X 0.66 = 16.6A)
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 02:13
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
Nice looking work! no matter what machine you used... Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 14:34
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
thanks john for your comments we really had lots of time to learn to make our current machine work . no one told us how to run it even the seller who sold us the machine. he gave us the PC included an unconfigured MACH3 so we have to read from scratch from the hardware until the software we are using to make toolpaths with it and now we intend to grow bigger with MM machine
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 14:36
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
hi mike do you know which kind of delta's VFD series will suit our PMDX-106 ? thanks a lot
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 15:45
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I plan on using a chinese spindle too. And I read that the VFD thays "paired" with it has problems. Atleast with the buttons not working. The VFDs you mentioned work with the spindle too? Any other VFDs work with the spindle? I am trying to route out problematic compentents Cant be worrying about anything once my machine is built.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 16:47
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
The HY VFD has been aggressively "value engineered"; it's almost a free giveaway with the spindle, and the fact that it's not expected to be sold standalone shows.

You need to look at the motor and VFD specifications to "pair" them. Pretty much all of the chinese water cooled spindle are 3 phase, 400 Hz - it would be hard to imagine another design. So you need to match them with a VFD that will run up to 400 Hz (some are designed for controlling motors back at 50/60 hz, and don't go up high enough), supports the same voltage range as the spindle motor, and matches or exceeds the amperage rating of the motor. The (possibly discontinued) Hitachi X200 series is one example of a good VFD that works with these spindles, but there are many others.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 19:52
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Whoa! 3-Phase?!?! So as a residential user who only has 1-phase,... i cant use the chinese spindle? Or is this where the VFD comes in and magically runs a 3-phase spindle on 1-phase power? I am a bit disappointed now. Very dissappointed actually.
Old Tue 30 March 2010, 21:43
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
Just checked the specs in an ebay auction for one of them and it says 220 - 250v. Doesnt say anything about 3-phase power. You can do 220v on 1-phase power.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 05:47
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Charles, this is covered elsewhere, but the VFD converts it's input power into DC, and then to 3 phase to drive the spindle. For VFDs up to about 3KW, it's pretty common for the diodes that convert the input power to be oversized enough to be fed by single phase power - that's how mine works. Over 3KW you can still use single phase power, but sometimes need to oversize the VFD by about 1/3 to get input diodes large enough to run the system on only two legs instead of three.

The spindle is 3-phase, but the VFD can be fed either 3-phase or single phase, using more amperage in single phase, of course. This will be in the specifications of the VFD. The HY VFD does allow this.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 07:00
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
ok. I guess when the time comes I go into detail about this in my worklog. Thanks.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 10:07
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
hi guys i really appreciate the discussions about the VFD . i primarily know what is VFD .my intention is get a Delta VFD to suit the PMDX-106 http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-106 . do the VFD-EL series suit my PMDX-106 or the PMDX-106 can run any VFD ? i intent to use the chinese spindle to engrave not only in wood , plastic, aluminum but in granite and marble. steel is out of subject matter . thanks a lot guys
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 13:20
cvriv.charles

New Jersey
United States of America
I wouldnt disclude steel There's a member here that used his mechmate to cut out the mechmate parts out of steel It did a beautiful job. He said he did some modifications to his machines for this but it is very possible.
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 14:44
myousry

alexandria
Egypt
hi everyone
what's best TECO's VFD MA7200 or DELTA VFD-B series ones thanks a lot
Old Wed 31 March 2010, 17:56
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
myoursry, either of those VFD series should work. "Best" is hard to state.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read