MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > CNC motion control software
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 12 March 2007, 07:59
bugmenot dillbert
Just call me:

DeskCNC

Any thought on the controller card and software from www.deskcnc.com? It's a little more expensive than mach3 plus PMDX-122 which is $240 total, deskcnc with controller card is $350
Old Tue 12 August 2008, 18:01
sprayhead
Just call me: Francis

sydney
Australia
I have seen it working with servos and it produces really good motion. Their second generation controller produces step frequencies of up to 125kH !
Old Thu 14 August 2008, 13:36
Belli
Just call me: Greg

Johannesburg
South Africa
DeskCNC is cheaper than Mach

Hello,

If you consider that a Mach license is $160 and you have no CAM functionality then $350 doesn't seem to bad for a control with 4 axis CAM package. You can add LazyCAM to Mach for $150 which is $310 but I know very few people with kind words about LazyCAM. SheetCAM is also around $150 but you will have only 2.5D functionality.

DeskCNC will produce 125kHz on a P1 166Mhz PC too, it can run with a COM port or USB to COM converter.

Regards,
Greg
Old Fri 15 August 2008, 00:35
sprayhead

sydney
Australia
Greg, In regards to motion quality, could you compare Mach3 and DeskCNC?
thanks
Francis

ps. I have played with mach3 Simulation a bit and it seems that the deceleration ramp is very abrupt. Whenever the tool encounters a sharp turn mach doesn't seem to decelerate before the turn... even setting up the acceleration profile for slow accelerations, like 2 seconds for example.

I also have seen DeskCNC in operation with servos and with the same toolpath I used in Mach3 simulation mode and the decelerations and accelerations were very nice... smooth and gradual. Could it be have something to do with the servo drives accel. profile?
Old Fri 15 August 2008, 04:28
Belli
Just call me: Greg

Johannesburg
South Africa
Accel and Decel profiles

Hi Sprayhead,

You can make the acc/dec profile anything you want in DCNC including 'S' curve velocity profiling, open the the .acc file in a spreadsheet and create your own.

DCNC supports constant motion contouring which maintains the velocity where it can but remains true to the toolpath versus constant velocity profiling which deviates from the toolpath.

Cheers
Old Sat 16 August 2008, 01:15
sprayhead

sydney
Australia
Hi Greg, could you comment on what you believe are the advantages of mach3 over Dcnc and vice-versa?

By what I see so far, it seems that Dcnc has more quality of motion, does that proceed?

thanks,
Francis
Old Sun 28 September 2008, 12:13
stepmotor
Just call me: stepmotor

moscow
Russia
Send a message via ICQ to stepmotor
I use the controller deskcnc and is very happy! Works well stably.. Moreover from a site of the manufacturer it is possible download dll for work with the controller and approximately for 30 minutes will write the software which to load g-code the program into the controller.
Old Wed 24 February 2010, 09:18
noel76
Just call me: Noel

chihuahua
Mexico
hello

i am a deskcnc user, few days ago i have experienced an issue, when countoring texts, the steppers lose steps very significative, i have noted that when they are countoring curves on each font they sounds very abrupt, not smooth like they do with other toolpaths created by autocad, so that abrupt motion make them lose position from one font to other, when the machine go back home its position is about 1/4 of an inch off on each axis. I have tested the speed ramp, acceleration and pulses per sec., the machine runs ok with other dxf drawings, even at higher speeds it does a good and smooth motions. the next problem was when i downloaded the newest version of deskcnc and upgrade it, now it seems little different, the point wich represent the router's paths in the screen blinks always, even when the machine is at home, also other numbers that are on the corners of the screen blinks the same way, the software seems little slowly and unstable when zooming in the drawing, then the problem to countoring fonts is the same. have anybody experience about this?, i need the solution soon, lot of work do be done, all suggest are welcome. thanks.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read