MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 01 July 2010, 17:26
MJCMendonca
Just call me: Mo

Mississauga
Canada
Planning for a new and better CNC in Mississauga, ON, Canada

Hi there guys,

My name is Moacir (call me Mo) and I am just in the initial stages of planning my new CNC machine. I currently have a 36x48 belt-driven CNC based off Solsylva plans.

My current machine is good, give me rapids of about 250IPM and 0.003” accuracy. Not bad. But more recently I have been having some problems with chatter when cutting solid surfaces or certain hardwoods. I also would like a bigger cutting surface, something more inline with a 4x8 sheet.
Bottom line, I’m looking for a “production grade” machine.

I have been going through this forum and also looking into Joe’s hybrid machine. But I am leaning towards the MechMate, it seems very sturdy and will allow me to get my feet wet with welding (I have 0 experience there).

I may or may not re-use my Xylotex board and 269oz.in on the new machine. Do you have any advice either way?

Also, is there a Complete Idiots Guy for Building a Mechmate? I downloaded the drawings, but is there such a thing as a readymade plan?

Any advice is strongly appreciated. Thank you so very much for sharing your knowledge, experience and dreams.

Thank you,
Mo
Old Thu 01 July 2010, 17:42
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Mo.
The plans and the forum is all you should need to build your machine. All the sections of building a MM are here in the forum to help you with specific tasks. Have a look around.
Old Thu 01 July 2010, 17:46
MJCMendonca

Mississauga
Canada
Happy Canada Day!

Thanks a bunch Heath, I've got lots of reading in front of me, are there any threads that you would suggest I read first?

By the way, HAPPY CANADA DAY!
Old Fri 02 July 2010, 04:50
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
The MechMate team and these plans should give you what you need to build a great machine. Welcome to the team!!!
Old Fri 02 July 2010, 10:16
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Mo,
My suggestion is to read some of the build histories in the Mechmates already cutting section. It is good reading and there are usually lots of pictures. Then when you have had enough of that, go on to the different sections and look through them to try and answer any questions that came up during the reading of the build.s. Then if you have something that still does not make sense, ask a question in your build thread and someone here will have done it and found a solution I am sure.
Old Fri 02 July 2010, 12:14
MJCMendonca

Mississauga
Canada
Bom

Sounds like a plan. I will go away now and study some more of the already finished machines. This certainly is going to reveal many jewels.
From there, I guess I should try and put together a Bill of Materials so that I can get my head around costs.

Thank you!
Old Sat 03 July 2010, 09:46
MJCMendonca

Mississauga
Canada
A few pictures

I have been reading quite a bit, and wow, what a difference it makes. I almost have a plan in my mind, another few days reading non-stop should take me there.

I printed the drawings and started a "Notes" section for myself. It really helps:

Also, please find a picture showing chatter on a sign that I recently cut, this is what I want to get rid of:

Finally a few pictures of my current CNC:

And if you are interested here is a video of it working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3vHUw76SGk

Thank you!

Last edited by MJCMendonca; Sat 03 July 2010 at 09:51.. Reason: Bad image links

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read