MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 09 January 2008, 07:21
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Pmdx-135 "Power Preparation" Module

Hi,

Is anyone using the PMDX-135 Power Prep module? I've order this in instead of a complete power supply; I'm hoping that I can just buy a toroidal coil and hook it up directly to this module. Would this be ok ?

Thanks, Greg

Old Wed 09 January 2008, 11:52
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I use the PMDX-135-8020 Power module in one of my test bench systems. It works very well. As you've written, it only requires the addition of a toroidal transformer.

With that said, I also have three other power supplies that consist only of a toroidal transformer, a filter capacitor, a bridge rectifier and a bleeder resistor. The bleeder resistor is optional and normally not used when the power supply is used to furnish power to stepper motors.

Using either the PMDX unit or building your own would both work equally well. The main advantage to the PMDX unit, as I see it, is that you don't have to scrounge parts. Finding large filter capacitors can be frustrating.

Buying a ready-made unit, like the Antek is another option. I haven't ordered from them yet and I know that at least one person on this forum has not been pleased with their service; however, Dirk Dunham and Pat Fulghum both ordered units and received them in a very timely fashion. The price of the Antek power supply is much less than the price of the PMDX and the toroidal transformer.
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 12:08
bradyaero
Just call me: Greg #19

Smiths Falls, Ontario
Canada
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, I've already bough the 135 so I'm glad to hear that all I need to do is purchase the transformer (looking for one with 9v and 50-60v taps)

Greg
Old Wed 09 January 2008, 13:52
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Greg,
The PMDX-135 only has one AC input. If you are planning on getting 9VDC, you'll have to add external components. (Of course if you only need 9VAC, then nothing else will be required.)
Old Sun 08 March 2009, 18:10
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Pmdx-135

Tomorrow I’ll place orders for Gekos and PMDX and after 7-8 hours one question remains for the moment:
Is it OK to buy PMDX-135 ? Because of this thread: “Greg,
The PMDX-135 only has one AC input. If you are planning on getting 9VDC, you'll have to add external components. (Of course if you only need 9VAC, then nothing else will be required.)” another question appears:
Why do I need 9VDC in the future? What external components is needed (another question…).
Step by step “kitchen project” start to become clear to me but electronics is still out of my league and I don’t want to make mistakes.
Old Mon 09 March 2009, 07:29
Richards

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
The PMDX-122 break-out-board needs either +7 to 12VDC or 9VAC. (It has an on-board bridge and voltage regulator to get +5VDC from those higher voltage supplies.) I just use a wall-wart +12VDC power supply to power my PMDX-122.
Old Mon 09 March 2009, 09:57
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
BoB Campbell

Mike thank's for the reply. Your reply makes me to ask for a quote from Campbell's "enclosure project". But I ask only for some items:
Control box quote
Fan $8,00
circuit breaker $15,00
Switches 1 pair $25,00
Led board 1 $25,00
Breakout board 1 $130,00
Power supply board $95,00
AC cord $5,00
Parallel port cable $4,00
Total $307,00
Gecko drives 4 $580,00
I hope it is a good choice (a bit expensive) .
But I ask him to explain what is good for : circuit breaker, led board and what kind of switches did he sell.
On his site Campbell give some picture of a full Control box with step by step wiring. For a beginer like me it helps a lot for the moment.

Marius

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read