MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 23 February 2007, 07:38
GARTH LEE
Just call me:

Hi Gerald
on spindels of the FIMEC and HSD is one better than the other or much of a muchness. Could I get a landline No. for you please,other contact page not operable yet.
Thanks
GARTH
Old Fri 23 February 2007, 08:47
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The two spindles are practically identical, which makes me think that both those companies buy most of their parts from another supplier. The Fimec has a definite angle between the axis and the body, which can only be a machining error. Fimec did not reply to mailed requests for service assistance and then I got into a personality clash with their salesperson. HSD was a pleasure to deal with and their prices were slightly better.
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 20:23
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Gerald,

Just curious, are you putting spindles on all these machines?
Old Mon 28 July 2008, 22:57
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 07:05
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
The reason I asked that in the other thread was I was looking at the control box (pic) and trying to identify the components that support the spindles. My control box is supporting only a router - at least at first. I have about 60% of my control box parts and I am getting ready to buy the rest so I was mentally tracing your wires. The wires in that particular picture were easy to follow. Pictures seem to work better for me than wiring diagrams at first. The way I seem to work is to:
  1. Conceptually understand the real thing
  2. Draw my own diagram
  3. Compare my diagram with the ones posted and see if my understanding was correct
JR and I have friendly "discussions" about my approach. He takes a very practical "hands on" / figure-it-out-as-we-go approach. "Just go do it" has never worked very well for me.

The good news is that I can tell from the posts that both kinds of people can get their machines built - when the day job isn't completely in the way.
Old Tue 29 July 2008, 07:34
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Support for a spindle can vary from simple to complex. The simplistic approach is to connect . . . . . . .

mains > Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) > Spindle

. . . . . . using only the controls already on the VFD to start/stop & adjust speed of the spindle, ignoring the thermal protection sensor built into the spindle.

We went a little further than that. We added a thermistor relay that would trip the system on overheat, and we let Mach3/PMDX-122 do the starting and stopping. Plus we added ferrite rings to the VFD mains input and spindle output, plus a line reactor on the VFD output - the rings and reactor are not in the main control box. (The only VFD support you saw on that pic was the thermistor relay, and some terminals adjacent from the PMDX)

We do not (yet) control the spindle speed with Mach3, nor have we added RFI filters to the mains feeding the VFD - havn't seen a real demand for those yet.

(We seem to be alone in being concerned about connecting the thermistor properly - nobody else talks about it?)
Old Tue 16 September 2008, 23:45
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Can you control the spindle speed via PMDX-122?

I am considering purchasing a 3000W Eastern spindle and was wondering if anybody knows how to control the speed of the spindle through Mach3 and the PMDX-122? Do I need additional hardware? The inverter supports 1-10V for spindle speed control.
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 01:03
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The parallel port BOB's cannot do a 1-10V signal.

There seem to be a couple of ways around it, but I havn't gone deeply into it myself.
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 02:30
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
You can find one speed controller on www.cnc4pc.com , the problem is that you may want to add an extra parallel port. bcos on a mechmate we have 4 axis already covered and we still need a step and direction for the spindle. that may be difficult with all the pins (most of them) covered.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=58

Also david, kindly PM me the pricing of the spindle and if possible the contact to get one, I am considering to buy one for my machine.

RGDS
Irfan

Last edited by javeria; Wed 17 September 2008 at 02:38..
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 04:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Must correct my last post. There now are parallel port BOB's that can do speed control. (The PMDX-122 cannot).

Apparently the Smoothstepper will do it with a PMDX-122. (Last time I looked, that function still had bugs?)

Also, some VFD's can handle a serial input (like RS232?)....I have heard that some guys manage to run a serial cable direct from the PC to the VFD. Mach can apparently handle this?
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 04:33
javeria

Bangalore
India
ALos check www.candcnc.com, they have a BOB they call the "ultimate BOB" , it sort of has a parallel port extender, I mean increased number of outputs for the same inputs, they also have a plugin for Mach for the same. not heard of anyone using it though.

RGDS
Irfan
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 05:02
Greolt
Just call me: Greg

Victoria
Australia
I use one of Peter Homann's DigiSpeeds to control a VFD.

http://homanndesigns.com/store/index...a599d872c73085

He has a range of them. DC-06 is the one I have. Uses a step signal.

Can be used with LPT or SmoothStepper. Works well.

Greg
Old Wed 17 September 2008, 05:29
javeria

Bangalore
India
Greg do you use an Asian spindle? , if so can you share more details : pricing - quality etc.
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 03:45
Greolt
Just call me: Greg

Victoria
Australia
Yes I do have an asian spindle. 2hp. Water cooled which adds another level of complexity. But it is quiet.

Not had it long enough to make any worthwhile judgements on it's longevity. Quality looks OK for what it's worth. Runout is good.

Several of us here in Australia have bought these recently. Sorry none of us have Mechmates.

Greg
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 04:14
javeria

Bangalore
India
Greg any price info you can provide? and also the source?
Old Thu 18 September 2008, 05:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The Eastern/Asian spindles now have their own thread here:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915
Old Tue 02 December 2008, 23:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Here is a cool video of a very serious spindle:

http://www.gmn.de/flashplayer/GMN_Sp...Animation.html
Old Tue 02 December 2008, 23:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
And then, the opposite of that serious spindle:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/968...ukolutu5mg.jpg
Old Mon 06 August 2012, 08:35
JasonC
Just call me: Jason

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Is there a common spindle/VFD that everyone is using and has a good rep?
Something I can find in the US.

Jas

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read