MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 18 February 2013, 19:08
MK_CATANZARO
Just call me: mike #105

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
Dust Collection & Carving 3D Signage #105 - Cincinnati OH

Okay, so I've been hiding in the shadows for quite some time here. I've followed along a lot of builds and have done mine in silence. No More!

I actually got my Mechmate up and running a few months back, but I've been having so much fun with the thing that I haven't taken the time to get a picture uploaded and get myself a number.

I'm trying to get a 3D sign company started, and the Mechmate has not let me down.

Here is an image of the machine in my cramped 1-car garage, and an image of the first project that I made with it.

Check out my website to see what I've ben doing with it. http://www.artfulconstructs.com

I'll start showing new projects as I make them.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tin man.jpg (52.2 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2391.jpg (90.7 KB, 760 views)
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 20:08
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Outa Da Blue !!! Congrats and great looking machine !! Lots O dust I see !! You get #105
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 20:23
MK_CATANZARO

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
More dust than I know what to do with, to be honest. I'm working on getting a dust collection system working in the very near future. It's a bit challenging with the very low ceiling that I'm working with.

What do you think, Mike, Got a number for me? I know it's not blue, but it has the name and makes lots of dust.
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 20:25
MK_CATANZARO

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
Nevermind, I just saw it under my name.
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 20:31
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
You sneaky dog.....
I lurk at 3dsignforum.com and I've been following your work.
Never connected you having a MM.
I think about registering there but most of what I do isn't really sign related.

WELL DONE!!!!
Old Mon 18 February 2013, 20:58
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nicely done!
Old Tue 19 February 2013, 08:14
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Have you considered something like a curtain track for your dust collection? That's how I deal with my low ceiling issue.
Old Tue 19 February 2013, 08:46
MK_CATANZARO

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
I've considered the curtain track, but think that I'm going to go with an articulating swing arm. My garage has a large ventilation duct that drops down in the center. The track alone would be problematic to clear the duct. The arm seems like it would be easier to cantilever off the concrete wall.
Old Tue 19 February 2013, 08:47
IMMark
Just call me: Mark #119

Columbus Ohio
United States of America
Nice work Mike (on the machine and the sign)!
I am jealous, can't wait to put down the pencil and be in a position to use a dust pan
Mark
Old Tue 19 February 2013, 13:35
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
See here for an articulated dust extraction arm - (patented :-) )
Old Tue 19 February 2013, 16:36
barry99705
Just call me: Barry

Xenia
United States of America
You could probably get away with putting a hard line to the center of the table on the ceiling, then running flexible ducting that is long enough to reach the corners. The hose "should" contract under the vacuum and stretch when needed.
Old Mon 04 March 2013, 20:17
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Mike,

Congratulations on completing your MechMate.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.

I realize you completed it several months ago. Could you provide an approximate start date and completion date as well as the dimensions for the record?
Old Tue 05 March 2013, 18:14
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I also use 4" flexible duct mounted in the center above my machine that I got from Rockler to my dust collector. I do not suffer from dust and the line is 30 feet long.

Nice looking machine.
Old Wed 06 March 2013, 06:10
MK_CATANZARO

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
I'm going to try the route of attaching a hard pipe right above the rear of my machine on the ceiling. Attach a flexible tube to that and the z-car. I have the bracket for holding the dust collector tube to the z-car machined out of 1/2" aluminum. I'm working on the dust foot now. I'll get up pictures soon.
Old Wed 06 March 2013, 06:29
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Probably be better off to route the hard pipe above the center of the table.
Your flex tube can be shorter that way.
On my 5x12, I have a lot of slack when in the center, and its stretched pretty tight at either end, and thats only 6' of travel each direction of center.
Old Wed 06 March 2013, 11:07
barry99705
Just call me: Barry

Xenia
United States of America
This is how the company I used to work for does their vacuum systems for their routers.

http://www.esko.com/en/Products/Over...rg-xp/overview

Hard line to the center then flexible to the router. The hard line has a swivel as well. Though they are using something similar to a shop vac for the router vacuum, so it can be a smaller hose. It's also mostly only used on dibond, acrylic, or HDU.
Old Wed 06 March 2013, 11:13
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
You would be surprised with how much flexible hose can get in the way. The center mount is really the quickest, easiest and least expensive. Center mount to a hard pipe that is on a swivel is the best and drastically shortens the flexible hose but more planning and money is involved. If you hook from the rear of the table, I fear you will have the hose fighting your machine.
Old Wed 06 March 2013, 13:47
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
..not to mention, the added torque required from your stepper motors to move that hose. Center on swivel is how I have machine #28 set up and works great.
Old Wed 06 March 2013, 15:09
MK_CATANZARO

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
Unfortunately, In my garage, there is a heating duct about 1.5" above the z-slide. So I can't use any mechanism that requires clearance over the machine. I'm going to try the rear mounted before going the route of a cantilevered pivoting arm mounted to my garage wall. I figure it's best to start with simple and work up to higher levels of complexity.
Old Wed 06 March 2013, 17:06
darren salyer

Wentzville mo
United States of America
HOW TALL IS YOUR MACHINE?
Or, how short is your garage?
Old Tue 26 March 2013, 07:34
MK_CATANZARO

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
My garage is really short because of a heating duct running across the ceiling. It's maybe 74". I also have a taller mechmate because I designed the bed to be able to lower for larger blocks of foam. I've not yet used that feature..

Back to business. I have the dust collector installed and working finally! Check it out. And ignore the mess in my garage. I seem to have gremlins that leave things lying everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foot.jpg (81.2 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg lower.jpg (75.0 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg rear close.jpg (65.7 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (69.0 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg wide.jpg (74.4 KB, 396 views)
Old Sun 31 March 2013, 08:32
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Mike very nice setup you have there. Just be careful with crashes. I had a very simular setup and the dust foot rotated while cutting. Its amazing how much plexi melts in just a few seconds.

Also are you adjusting the height at the foot or at the mount on top? Thanks
Old Mon 01 April 2013, 04:33
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I classify the dust foot as consumable. Plexi glass is way to expensive for something which needs frequent replacement.
Old Mon 01 April 2013, 05:27
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I make mine out of Sintra only because I cut a lot of it.
Old Mon 01 April 2013, 06:10
MK_CATANZARO

cincinnati,oh
United States of America
I adjust (lock and unlock) the foot at the top of the y car. It's really easy to raise and lower the foot when the lock is loosened. I'll probably eventually replace the locking bolt with a cam lock to make it even faster.

As far as the acrylic, the company that I work for occasionally makes shelves for tradeshow displays out of 1/2" and I keep a close eye on the trash bins. So it's free in small quantities (enough for a spare dust foot or two.) And I traded some 3d design work with a local waterjet cutter for the 6061 aluminum plate up top. So that was kind of free..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read