MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 10 March 2012, 21:54
JohnnyK
Just call me: John

Peyton, CO
United States of America
Smitten with the MechMate bug in Colorado

Hello everyone,

I am actually quite new to the CNC world but have been smitten with a desire to build a MechMate as soon as I can. I want to be able to work anything from a 4" X 8" sheet of plywood or alternatives down to smaller section such as what you would see on a name plate or over-door sign. I may begin with a smaller CNC just to get my feet wet but would love to use one of these for business. BTW, I am starting later in life on this than some but am totally intrigued. I will start delving into the threads as soon as I can so that I can get going with this. I build Gers (Yurts) and hope to utilize one of these for the more tedious parts of the build. Thanks for all your posts and I cannot wait to get started!
Old Sat 10 March 2012, 22:41
JamesJ
Just call me: Jim #104 (retired)

Kansas
United States of America
Welcome! It's never too late to build a Mechmate!
Old Sun 11 March 2012, 07:12
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Welcome to the Forum, John.

I must admit, I had to Google "Yurts" to know what they are. I had never heard of them.

I have a close friend that lives in Grand Lake, CO. I spent a year at the USAFA many years ago...near Peyton.

As for your build, it's a great ride. I would suggest that you increase your dimensions to the size of a sheet of USA MDF, 97" X 49". I don't know if in manufacturing Yurts you ever deal with MDF, but you may find that you need to cut a full sheet of MDF and it only adds an inch in each direction.

We're here to help. Get the plans, and read, read, read. It will seem at first that there are not enough specific "how to" directions. But all the information you need is contained in the plans and the Forum.

Have a great build.
Old Tue 13 March 2012, 19:53
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Hi John,

Welcome, an other from Colorado alright! Peyton, never head of it until now.

Justin
Old Tue 13 March 2012, 21:14
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the team !!!
Old Tue 13 March 2012, 21:19
JohnnyK

Peyton, CO
United States of America
Many thanks for the warm welcomes and introduction to the MechMate family. I think I am like many who have stars in their eyes and big dreams for their machines. Just a couple questions of curiosity. "Has any one cut long multiple strips from 3/4 plywood?" "What is the thickest material (wood) you have cut/shaped on a MechMate?"
Old Tue 13 March 2012, 21:24
JohnnyK

Peyton, CO
United States of America
Justin #24,

Peyton is just a little ways east of Colorado Springs. We get lots of wind, very little rain and compete with the Jack Rabbits for space. I am glad to see another guy from Colorado with a completed system. What kinds of things do you do with your MechMate?

John
Old Wed 14 March 2012, 20:48
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
Hi John,

Yes, it is very windy down that way. I cut mostly sheet goods for making cabinets, some solid wood and some plastics like abs. I would think that cutting strips would be better and faster with a table saw. Thickest stuff I have cut so far is some MDF squares that were 3" thick. Lots of passes and long bits.

Justin

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read