MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > Graphics & CAD
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 25 February 2009, 07:33
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
Corel Draw (was coral draw)

is anyone using coral draw for progaming? advantases and disadvantages
Old Wed 25 February 2009, 07:48
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Corel Draw.
Corel Draw is a graphics program that you can use to create content and export as a DXF, EPS or other usable file to import into your CAM software package.

If your looking to do mostly Sign type creation, then a combination of Vectric (aspire, Cut2D, Photocarve, etc) products and Corel Draw may suit you well.

Depending on your graphics background, Corel is known for being very easy to obtain proficiency within a short period of time.

I have been using Corel for 10+ years and find it a great asset to the Mechmate.

Good luck.
Sean #5
Old Wed 25 February 2009, 12:24
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I agree, I had to learn CorelDraw 11 all by myself, and although it is capable of much more it was quit easy for me to get to grips with. I do all my work in Corel then export as EPS to Cut2D (Vectric) which then populates Mach3.

I find DXF files created by my friend in AutoCad to have a lot of LOOSE sections / lines...looks like he is drawing in segments. When I import his files into Cut2D I have to close a lot of Vectors. Where when I do it in CorelDraw I have all vectors / segments closed.

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Wed 25 February 2009 at 12:26..
Old Wed 25 February 2009, 14:27
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Yeah, coreldraw user since version 2 (wow about 19 years) its super easy to know if a vector is properly closed, if you can fill it with color, its closed
Old Fri 27 February 2009, 05:36
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
Kobus,

This is certainly not an AutoCAD problem. It is a problem with drawing technique. If you are going to cut a lot of work from your friend, you need to sit down with him and explain that he simply must use object snaps in order to ensure closed polygons. Otherwise you will be pulling out your hair!

Good luck.
Old Fri 27 February 2009, 06:40
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
That certainly makes life easier for the CNC guy. Give them option (2), don't use object snaps and be charged for the time that I will spend closing the vectors @ $50 an hour.
Old Fri 27 February 2009, 07:24
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
One of the basic things expected from a CAM program is the ability to close (or trim) open (or overlapping) vectors. It is wrong to think of charging your customers more because you are not equipped with the basic tools.
Old Fri 27 February 2009, 11:08
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Thanks for the feedback...I will tell him to use the object snap. In Vectric Cut2D there is also the option to close vectors, but if it can be done from the beginning, then I will be happy.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read