MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > The Show Room
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 06 August 2008, 23:03
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
After playing around cutting small and sometimes bigger things with Cut2D and Mach3 I decided it's now time to do something I wanted to do for a very very long time....Making a wall clock with wooden gears. Bought a 2 meter x 220mm piece of Beech and cried when I had to pay for it....this is after I realized I had to plane it from 25mm to 10mm for the gear thickness...Lost more than half my wood just because the guys don't stock this type of wood in anything thinner.

After playing with TABS on the outer gear points, I decided against it. Even after carefull sanding I did not get my gear 100%. I then decide to use some of my left over double sided tape from the racks and stuck the wood to the table. This worked great apart from one small gear that came loose right at the end....But I have a fix for that tonight. I will stick it onto the table with tape, then do the centre hole and put a screw through the hole into the table, then cut the outside. Reminder to myself......DON't cut 4mm deep / pass with a 3.2mm straight bit.....small mistake on my part while setting up cut in Cut2D....It took the abuse for a while and then...SNAP.....no more cutting noise, only router noise....on that I NEED a Spindle...neigbour can's sleep with the noise I am making.

The rest of the clock body and parts will be made from KIAAT which I have about 2 cubs of.

Old Sat 19 March 2011, 23:30
southernduckie
Just call me: Andrew (Duckie)

new south wales
Australia
looking fine

Hi Kobus,

Can't believe i just found this.. Are u designing this clock your self or is it plans? Please Please post photos of your progress this is a must first project for me (to keep the wife happy) and to keep funds moving.

Thanks Andrew Davison.
Old Sat 19 March 2011, 23:46
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Hi Duckie, still have not finished it....the shaft and tubes were my problem at the time, now I have no escuse as I have a lathe to make what I need.

The plans are available on the net ...will check and send info on.
Old Sun 20 March 2011, 00:21
southernduckie
Just call me: Andrew (Duckie)

new south wales
Australia
clock time

I thought it was just me who takes time to do these sort of jobs I've been a member for about 6 to 12 months and have just this week started to order parts for the kitchen table project (don't tell mike, I would hate to have the record of the longest build I'll win this by a fair bit) i hate not having any money this machine just must make money on a positive note you all give me inspiration to keep going thank you
Andrew Davison
Old Sun 20 March 2011, 03:59
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Andrew, check your mail

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read