MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 27 January 2009, 21:37
wheelygood
Just call me: Steve

Auckland
New Zealand
Thumbs up Just started the build - Auckland, New Zealand

My hat is off to Gerald and all here who have been there done it got the serial number. The forum is a wealth of information and makes it all happen for the rest of us.

MM Build Table X = 3600 x Y = 1830 x Z = unknown at this time.
X travel will actually be 3800 to allow for a tool changer at a later stage.
Steel has arrived and I have begun to cut. I have made a few changes to the base as I need the ability to cut boards to 32mm thick and also polystyrene moulds up to 500 mm high.
The table will be raised and lowered into position using 4 x M20 screwed rods driven by a common chain and sprokets. Once in position a single M16 capscrew on each of the 6 legs will lock the table into place ready for machining.
Still contemplating the Z axis and looking towards add more strength to the spider plate and extending it to give better support on the longer Z slide.
Because of the longer Z slide getting a ram will be difficult. I am looking at a second pinion gear with an adjustable friction brake, spring or air assisted.
Another plan is to have the spindle on another axis in rotation to 90 Deg either side to allow full axis to the moulds. That will mean a total of 5 motors and drives.
Anyone have any thoughts on these ideas?

Regards
Steve
Old Tue 27 January 2009, 21:52
jeffh
Just call me: Jeff #21

Bellingham WA
United States of America
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffh
Welcome Steve!

Yes, this place is chock full of great information and the people are really
friendly and eager to help out!

You'll find that you soon become addicted to the forum. Not just slightly but
in an overwhelming kind of way. Say goodbye to those casual evenings socializing 'cause this
is where you'll be. :-)

Congratulations on taking the plunge!

Can't wait to see pictures of that contraption you describe above

I hesitate to ask but.. what the heck: What exactly do you cast in those 500mm tall molds?

Cheers,

-Jeffh

Last edited by jeffh; Tue 27 January 2009 at 21:55..
Old Wed 28 January 2009, 00:39
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Welcome Steve

Good luck with your build and we always like to see some thing new being done.
Old Wed 28 January 2009, 01:50
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Hi guys.
Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking in the forum for the last 3 weeks so I know exactly what you mean. Sleep is a thing of the past.
What I do with the moulds can be anything from automotive body parts and garden statues. I vacuum bag the moulds and cover them with fiberglass. Lots of fun there.
Old Wed 28 January 2009, 07:10
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Steve, hope you feel at home here.
Old Wed 28 January 2009, 07:29
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Hi Steve,

Sounds like a really interesting build. Several of us are interested in extended Z slides. I'm starting with a "standard" MechMate with the idea that I can modify it after it's proven.

So, we'll be VERY interested in your build and how you extend the Z slide, That "elevator" table sounds intriguing too. Please keep us up to date...WITH PICTURES when you get to that point.

Good luck on your build.

Regards,
John
Old Thu 29 January 2009, 00:50
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Cheers guys, it is like a second home here with a lots of friendly helpers .
Dont worry I will have plenty of pictures along the way, do you want some of my stack of steel?
So far the stack of cut steel is steadily growing.
A couple of changes so far My rails are 65x65x8mm thick in 9m lengths I get 1 X and 1 Y rail with a meter left over from each length. I went down to the steel supplier to inspect the angle to check on the bend as you probably know it is always over 90 deg. The larger 8mm was in much better shape. Down the track it will be harder to cut down to size so I may use a 9" grinder for the main material removal down to 28 mm then drop to a 125mm grinder for finishing.
Channel is 150x75 and really straight even at a finished length of 4400
There are lots of posts relating to Z slide extensions.... lots and lots of data to digest.
Old Thu 29 January 2009, 04:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Sounds like you have it well under control!
Old Sat 31 January 2009, 02:41
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Thanks Gerald, still a long way to go before I am 110% sure of what I am doing.
More steel cutting today and started milling a 16mm slot in each of the 6 legs today. Total vertical travel 535mm, and I still retain the same height as the MM plans. A photo to come.
Old Sat 31 January 2009, 05:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Why one long slot? Why not a series of short slots, with 2 bolt holes in the table - if one bolt doesn't fit, the other will. In this case you will probably drop the table to bottom of known slots for a couple of "standard" table positions - might save a lot of surfacing.
Old Sun 01 February 2009, 02:37
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
I see your point, the long slot are already cut in 75x75x5 SHS. A retained nut will be inside and will slide up and down with the table. With the 4 x M20x 2.5 pitch screwed rod doing the up and down lifting with a common chain I have allowed fine adjustment on each with a 12 holes on a PCD to position the nut and 2 offset locking screws giving 0.1mm. (2.5 pitch / 12 / 2 = 0.1) This allows setting the equal height of the table but still no relative "standard table positions" as you mentioned, perhaps a simple bolt on digital scale will help there. A possible alternative solution maybe separate dowel positions thus still allowing the bolt and nut to travel up and down and once in position with the dowels can then be locked. Thanks Gerald, the design is under constant improvement.
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 00:37
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Does anyone know how I can load photos on here?
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 00:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Attaching photos to posts on this forum
Old Thu 19 February 2009, 23:13
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
First Photos

Thanks Gerald, I had also done a search on "photo upload" and retrieved similar posts. A word to anyone else out there, the forum has everything ... possibly no stone has been left unturned Juts search on what ever you want to know.
Just a couple of photos at the start of my build. I had more as I was cutting and machining the slots but lost them accidently when playing with the camera while camping
Drilling, stack of steel and 16mm slots in the legs. Slots allow 535mm of travel.
steve 1.jpg
steve 2.jpg
steve 3.jpg
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 00:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That is a nice sliding block you have for inside the leg - some good engineering applied there.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 07:31
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Steve,

Keep 'em coming (pictures, that is). Very interesting build.

Regards,
John
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 19:47
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Nice idea on the ajustable table Steve. Soon you will be like the rest of us, no sleep and Mechmate on the brain 24/7.

Tim
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 22:25
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Already MM on the brain 24/7 , the trouble is my day job is getting busier and my own biz has taken a big leap this month so the MM will take just a bit longer.
It should all slide up and down nicely when the clamp bolts are realeased providing the legs are all spot on vertical to each other. I have allowed 1mm clearance on the 16mm capscrew.
A few drilled holes, the cutting table has 108 hold down bolts 12 rails x 9holes each and the x axis has 23 holes each over a 3.8m X travel (200 mm spacings and 150 mm on the ends). Lots and lots of drilling there.
I havent cut my Y axis beams yet because I am using Mod 1.5 rack which is 17mm wide so I will play is safe and do a measure up when the main X beams and rails are together.
A real score today, I have been given 4 x 2" *New* linear bearings which I will use for my Z axis as I need about 750 mm travel. We are 99% metric here and the bearing man just cant sell the imperial gear so its free ( I buy lots of other stuff off him). This free bee has moved me away from the double ground v rail for the Z axis as a Genuine MM uses. It should be plenty to handle the cutting and hang onto the extra servo to rotate the spindle head. I will post some drawings when I tidy them up a little.
Old Fri 20 February 2009, 22:43
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Steve, I have increased your file attachment quota in anticipation of lots of pictures - this is going to be interesting!
Old Sun 22 February 2009, 02:55
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Thanks Gerald sure is going to be interesting. I generally build or improve machines for my day job so its a real treat to build something for myself. Definetly lots of pictures to come.
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 23:16
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
A few more photos.
Chewed through lots of Dia 125 x 1 discs, Y axis 1830 and X axis 3800. My angle is 60 x 60 x 8mm thick. I opted for 8mm because it was a much better shape angle that the 6mm version.
I went for a 3 legged angle grinder carriage, tried 4 legs but 3 felt smoother to push around. I`m not sure if anyone has tried pulling the grinder into the cut as I did but I found it easier.
My main X axis beams have 6 pieces of 50 x 5mm flat bar tack welded along the length to stop any resonate vibration.
I have built a concrete feed arm for a Million $$ concrete pipe spinning machine in the past and the 300 Channel arm picked up a nasty vibration and the flat bar fixed that.
Has anyone had issues with vibration or a ringing noise on their MM?

rail cutting 010.jpg

rail cutting 015.jpg

rail cutting 016.jpg

rail cutting 018.jpg

rail cutting 020.jpg
Old Thu 26 February 2009, 23:23
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Watch those flat bars for a dust foot that might fold open.
Old Sun 01 March 2009, 03:25
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Are the dust feet spring loaded or do you mean fold open if they come in contact with the job?
I`m off my MM for the next 3 weeks as I need to get some work done.
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 23:15
LIBBIT
Just call me: John

Mt Roskill, Auckland
New Zealand
Hi Steve,

I'm about to start with my panel, got the legs ready and in the next few weeks the steel for the table.

Did you finish your MM? If so wont you give us a call (021 033 4735/09 629 4040) I would like to come and see it please?

Thank you,

John
Old Sat 03 April 2010, 01:01
wheelygood

Auckland
New Zealand
Hi John
Its been a while since I posted on here. My MM design transformed into something not resembling a MM. Designed more specific to my overall needs. Still a big pile of pre cut steel on the workshop floor. Have purchaced rack and pinions, Allen Bradley servos and drives and thats bout it. Work comes first before projects and hoping to get a little more time on it over the winter depending on snow conditions, good snow and I`m not in Auckland.

How much have you got sorted John ?

Regards
Steve

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read