MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 17 March 2008, 14:53
ekdenton
Just call me: Ed #8

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
question on the estop wiring

This question may have come up before, did a search and it brought a couple threads up but I couldn't find an answer in those threads. Maybe I didn't use the right key words for the search. Anyway....

On my PMDX-122 there was a note tapped on the front about the board being shipped with a jumper across the Estop input terminals, and if your system uses estops remove the jumper and connect your estop circut to the terminals as described in the users manual. I read that and understand what they are saying to do for the Estop circut.
Should I wire my estops as per what is shown on 10 70 115 and leave the jumper wire on the PMDX, or do I wire the Estops as per the PMDX plan?
Old Mon 17 March 2008, 15:09
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ed,
Wire the e-stop circuit like the PMDX, page 6. Remember, you are wiring (2) estop circuits. 1 set of contacts on each button is wired in series from the NC normal closed contacts to the PMDX. The other (1) set of contacts on the pushbuttons is wired like the drawing 10-70-115 to the estop contactor and on/off button.

For each Mushroom button you should have 2 contact blocks that are Normal closed. 1 for pmdx, 1 for contactor/relay circuit.

Does that help?
Sean
Old Mon 17 March 2008, 15:59
ekdenton

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Ed,
Wire the e-stop circuit like the PMDX, page 6. Remember, you are wiring (2) estop circuits. 1 set of contacts on each button is wired in series from the NC normal closed contacts to the PMDX. The other (1) set of contacts on the pushbuttons is wired like the drawing 10-70-115 to the estop contactor and on/off button.

For each Mushroom button you should have 2 contact blocks that are Normal closed. 1 for pmdx, 1 for contactor/relay circuit.

Does that help?
Sean
Sure I see what your saying, do both cirucuts just use two contactors rather than one on each of the Estop buttons. Thanks Sean
Old Mon 17 March 2008, 22:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
When we press an E-stop, we want two things to happen:

- Cut all the mains 120V (or higher) AC power to the whole system. That means to stop the spindle/router as well. As well as to save a person who is being electrocuted by chafed through wire feeding the spindle/router. This is the circuit addressed by 10-70-115......the mains power.

- We want the stepper motors to stop dead in their tracks, ie. the gantry must stop ASAP. Cutting the mains power is not enough to do this, because the capacitor/s are still charged up and feeding the Gecko's, while the PMDX is still getting pulses from your PC. This means we have to cut the pulse trains at the PMDX.

Realise that the two circuits are vastly different....the one being mains power and the other being tiny little milliAmp pulses. So these two circuits are never run to the same contact block, nor inside the same shielded cable.
Old Tue 18 March 2008, 09:07
ekdenton

Alamogordo, NM
United States of America
Thanks Gerald
The wiring scheme is starting to make more sense to me now.
I can see how it would be bad to have the 110V traveling inside the same sheilding as the wires going to the PMDX. You wouldn't want any stray signals going to the PMDX.

I take it that the 2core wire for the 110v relay that controls the contactor is okay at 21AGW since there will be only a very small current pull from the relay, and that is all that will be on that circut?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read