MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > After Building the Beast - Operating , Troubleshooting and Maintenance > Troubleshooting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 27 March 2008, 12:19
Hugo Carradini
Just call me: Hugo

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Machine cuts out after cutting for a while - Loose wire on E-stop circuit

Hello Gerald and friends. I am having some problems that would like to ask for help . Lately when I start to cut, the control box will shut of moments later but Mach will keep running normally with out notice of failure. It will happen two or three times and then it seems to normalize for the rest of the day. ¿what should I start checking? My computer is clean of virus. Mach runs nice in the virtual form.
Thanks in advance
Old Thu 27 March 2008, 12:40
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Which part of the control box is shutting off?

Do the lights go out everywhere? On the Geckos, the PMDX 122, the PMDX 135?

Picture from earlier in this thread:
Old Thu 27 March 2008, 12:44
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The black wire (ground - with red/blue ends) from the PMDX-122 to the plate under the Geckos should be removed.
Old Thu 27 March 2008, 12:53
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Gerald the control box just turn of. So I push back again the start button and run again. I think is the main rele. Tomorrow I will have the control box open and check again for a more precise information.
Thanks for your time.
Old Thu 27 March 2008, 12:56
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
OK. I will take away the cable tomorrow and inform.
Old Thu 27 March 2008, 12:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The emergency stop switches hold the relay in the ON position. If there is a loose connection, or a dirty switch, then the control box will switch off.
Old Thu 27 March 2008, 18:53
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
My first thought too Gerald....check the e-stop loop connections.
Also, you may want to check the physical contacts for shakey or loose wipers - very difficult - but when the gantry moves and the e-stops shake, you can lose a connection. New contact blocks cheap, finding the real problem - hard. I personally think Gerald's assumption is spot on. I have similar problems with the Dust Collection Contactor - start/stop switch in my shop about every 6 months due to dirt and vibration.

Good luck Hugo.
Sean
Old Thu 27 March 2008, 22:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, contactors are not dust-proof. A little dust will settle between the contacts. No problem for the main contacts carrying the full Amps - that just burns off the dust. But the small auxiliary contacts carrying the latching/e-stop circuit have low amps going through them. However, dust in a contactor will not cause your symptoms......it does not open a contactor that has already closed. It makes a contactor difficult to switch on after a period of not using it.
Old Mon 31 March 2008, 12:18
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Hello Gerald and friends. Sorry for not answering Saturday but had to solve a couple of problems out of town.
Well , I found a lose cable in the E-Sop, so I tight it up and made a deep clean up, made some test and...... Voilaaaa, baby beast back to normality. For those of us like me that never made any electronic job before, fixing those problems with your and the rest of the guys help is a nice training that gives a lot of extra confidence.
Thanks again

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read