MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Mon 11 December 2006, 19:05
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Finding a set of laser cut steel components to build the MechMate

http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/sc...idproduct=1203
Link added at top of thread for convenience - GD

The first part of this thread has been archived here:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436
Old Mon 11 December 2006, 19:05
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Finding a set of laser cut steel components to build the MechMate - Part 1

http://www.donalds-hobby.com/prod/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1203 Link added at top of thread for convenience - GD

Sounds like I may start building soon.

I was reading the plans and have a question.

10.30.450 - The V-Roller Holes, un slotted, and slotted vertically. What does it mean exactly by this. I don't want to assume anything here?
Old Mon 11 December 2006, 21:35
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Finding a set of laser cut steel components to build the MechMate - Part 1

The slotted holes have provision for moving the V-Roller wheel by a tiny amount in the vertical direction. This is in case the Y-Car is slightly twisted after welding it together - then two wheels can be adjusted to make all 4 of them seat firmly on the rails.
Old Tue 12 December 2006, 07:18
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

That is what I was assuming, but by looking at the drawings I could not confirm that,or I was not thinking right one.

Thanks Gerald.

I am waiting on some laser quotes now.
Old Tue 12 December 2006, 11:51
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Got a surprise on my laser quote.
1030422 - $26.XX

All the Cart parts where like $80

I expected alot more here in the US.
Old Tue 12 December 2006, 12:24
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Yup, lasercut steel can be surprisingly economical . But wait till you see the parts and then you will doubly appreciate it - the accuracy is amazing as well.
Old Wed 13 December 2006, 09:00
DocTanner
Just call me:

Donald,
I would be greatly interested in your laser cutting supplier. I seem to have trouble finding one interested in doing small quantities.
Thanks
Old Wed 13 December 2006, 20:21
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Doc,
It is Heartland Laser, if we ordered together, it would be cheaper. Cause they are charging me $45 programming fee, we could split that and save $22.50 there. I own a business and ship fedex every day, so I could ship out yours easy. I am only about 3 hours from them.

Just a idea,

Email if you want to talk about that
dneisler(at)donald-neisler(dot)com

Donald
Old Wed 13 December 2006, 23:32
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Looking at build cost I think I'm one of the few who are able to do it alot cheaper than most of you guys. I have access to a laser cutter myself at work, This brings down my cost of cutting the lasercut pieces to an absolute zero as I also can get pieces of metal for free. WOW nice right. Then on top of that I get procentage of steel at my dads work where they also can saw and bend a few more things for me. And the processing is also almost free of charge, only the steel I will have to pay for. Nuts and bolts washers and so on I can get for free. So I'm thinking that my cost of the entire machine will be anywhere from 2-4.000$ Or below 3.000 Euros. Kind a nice right,... Just a little showoff I am... If anyone is situated in Denmark then I can lasercut for you at a very very low price....
Old Thu 14 December 2006, 00:52
vadeem
Just call me:

Donald, lets split it some more and really get crazy. I'll go in on 2 sets maybe 3.

I see they do bending too, so you might as well add that in also.

Our local guys were quoting around $125 USD, for the 1st set, including programing. They said each additional set was a magnitude cheaper. If we can get a few more people on board, we should be able to all save some real money.

Thanks
Old Thu 14 December 2006, 06:16
John Fredriksen
Just call me:

I will committ to one set. I am in Jasper, IN so shipping should be reasonable.

Cheers,
John
Old Thu 14 December 2006, 07:54
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Anyone interested in a set send me a email. I am working with them today and tomorrow on getting a quote for a complete set of parts together.

NOTE: They do not do the bending.

Vadeem,
Your quote for $125 for all sounds cheap. Mine was for $117 for just the main Cart parts.

Gerald,

Do you have a exact list of what is needed by qty. I know I have the dxf files but it doesn't state how many of each is needed with out going through the plans. I want have time to do that till tonight. If you have that, or someone for that matter I can get started today.

Thanks
Old Thu 14 December 2006, 08:18
Gerald_D
Just call me:

2 off 10 20 454, 5mm or 3/16" thick
4 off 10 20 456, 3mm or 1/8" thick
1 off 10 30 422, 2mm thick or 14 gauge
2 off 10 30 450, 5mm or 3/16"
2 off 10 30 455, 4mm or 5/32" thick
1 off 10 40 432, 4mm or 5/32" thick
1 off 10 40 434, 6mm or 1/4" thick
4 off M5 10 312, 6mm or 1/4" thick
1 off M5 10 322, 6mm or 1/4" thick
Old Thu 14 December 2006, 14:00
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Man...they can't get me a quote till tomorrow the guy who does the quotes is out today.

As I mentioned just email any interested and I can see if we can get a group by cheaper.

Thanks Gerald for the breakdown above, made it alot easier.
Old Fri 15 December 2006, 13:48
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Well not getting the numbers today, but they have cut one set so far....said the parts look great. They told me I should have the price monday for sure. Sorry to keep you guys waiting. I believe we are up to 5 sets, so we should get a pretty good deal I think if no one backs out.

The only drawback I have seen from this company is they do NOT do any bending.
Old Mon 18 December 2006, 11:47
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

ok, I got the pricing. I am finalizing some details and figuring out what i would cost per set and then i will let you know.

It looks good to me so far :-)
Old Mon 18 December 2006, 13:52
Bob Cole
Just call me:

Don:
I am located in N.E. Ohio near the PA. border. I would be interested in getting a set of these parts also, if that is still available.
sincerly,
Bob C.

Please let me know what the costs would be for all the parts for the carriage and engine mounts etc. Anything that you would be getting laser cut. bending will not be a problem for me, IF your people aren't available to bend.
Old Mon 18 December 2006, 14:11
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Bob I am still working on the numbers. I have a quote for a single set and a set of 5-10 and trying to get the price right with them.

I should have more info later today or tomorrow. I know I am ready to order mine asap and counting bob if everyone wants a set that is 7 set so I hope we can get a good deal. Shipping will be the worst I think due to weight. I personally will drive and pick them up to save freight to me.
Old Mon 18 December 2006, 14:14
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The weight of one set should be 20.4kg or 45 lbs before any packaging or crating is added.
Old Mon 18 December 2006, 19:21
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Good info Gerald. I am trying to figure out how to ship it the best, cheapest. Any suggestions.

Once I get that, and a final reply from the cutter I will have prices out. I am estimating/Guesstimateing $175 + Shipping.

Does that sound decent or am I wasting my time? As I said it is a guestimate, still waiting on info.
Old Mon 18 December 2006, 20:24
Bob Cole
Just call me:

Don:
If I see this correctly you are talking about (18) seperate parts of varying weights. ALL laser cut to exact dimentions per Geralds plans, Correct? Steel supplied by the laser cutter, Correct? If that is correct, then your Guestimate of $175.00 plus shipping seems fair to me. If someone else sees it differently let them speak up NOW, or forever hold your tongue..
I'm in. Bob C.
Old Mon 18 December 2006, 21:06
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

You are correct. Again, this is a estimate, still waiting on exact info. They misunderstood some of the things i asked for so we are working on the final information.

I honestly expected it to cost $500 myself so I am happy. :-)
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 04:45
Thomas M. Rybczyk
Just call me:

Don,
You can add me to the list if it's still open.
I am located in New Jersey Zip 08029.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 07:22
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Wow, approaching 10 sets. Never expected this many :-)

I hope to know more later today.
Anyone have shipping ideas? I would use Fedex Ground due to I get good rates with them, cheaper than UPS for sure. Just thinking about what and how to package this 50#'s of metal in a box or ?
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 08:41
Gerald_D
Just call me:

If the parts are bent, the biggest part is the Y-car plate 1030422B and all the othe parts fit inside of that. A tall_tower_PC's box will hold it all.
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 09:22
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

The Parts are not bent.

I just got a second quote for a single set, as I checked a couple places. $425 + Shipping.

WOW, this $175 is looking sweet now.
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 10:28
Wayne Painter
Just call me:

Sourcing a set of laser cut steel components to build the MechMate

Donald,
I just found out about this.
Am I too late to get in on this?
If not, I would like to place an order for one as well.
I am in Alaska, but shipping would be ground to Seattle to Barge Lines and then up here.

Where are you getting them bent? Cost to bend?

Let me know.

Thankx,
Wayneo
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 10:56
fabrica
Just call me:

You guys on the other side of the pond (as the Europens define you) you are a priviledged lot. You guys could do bulk buying. Don't ask me as to how much I spent on my laser cut parts (I am writing this with tears in my eyes).

So good so far, My table and gantry is almost compled. I am thinking of finishing of the total project by the first week of Janaury. Comissioning of the machine would start their after (which I assume is the most difficult part). I hope by that time I have at least a few of you guys being in the same stage of development.
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 14:55
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

ok I have some numbers, not totally what I was hoping for but....

Each set will be $225 + shipping to you.
If you are close to me, you may pick up with arrangments too.

If you would like them bent it will be extra. I will work on that price when I get a firm/paid commitment from everyone.

$225 compared to the $400+ I got is a good deal.

If you have emailed me previously, I will be getting you emails with info out later today as well.

Wayne, not to late yet....
Old Tue 19 December 2006, 16:42
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

I am working bending $'s now, and with bending and shipping I am trying to get to each of you for under $300. I am working with each in private email on the exact numbers. Any one else please let me know if they need a set, probably a week before I start the order process just to make sure it is all correct.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read