MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 06 December 2006, 10:36
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Inspired by Multicam, Y Car Mounted - Randers, Denmark

Hi everybody, my name i Kim, and I'm from Denmark. I have recently been watching this forum alot, and I am going to start a build of the MechMate Router.

I have access to a Nice Laser Cutter at nights cause that's my work, so all of these parts is easily made for me. Which I see as an advantage for me.

I'm looking forward to getting started with this project, even though it might be a little while before the actual build is going to strat cause of the cold outside and no heat in the garage YET.. hehe

I think it is very nice being able to get plans and all for this machine. The first I have ever seen where I get plans for free. Thanks for that... :-)
Old Fri 08 December 2006, 00:09
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Then it has started. I have been making some parts on the Laser at work, and have been bending a little too. So here is where I'm at at this time. Looking quite good if I do say so myself....

Next, welding it together, to get a nice looking little piece of machinery. The Painting and so on and so on.

Old Fri 08 December 2006, 00:54
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hey, that looks familiar!

There is a special sequence for welding that together, and I plan to do photos and writing this weekend.

But, basically you weld everything EXCEPT the top points as it is lying in that photo now. Until you weld those points, the car stays flexible for twist.

(Remember drawing 1020450D before you get too eager to weld)

Out of curiousity, what should the budget price be for having those parts cut in Europe? I know that you are in a special situation, but what would the average guy have to pay for a full set of laser cuttings?
Old Sat 09 December 2006, 13:38
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Hehe, have been trying to see if I can Weld. Until now it's not very good, but ok, I'm using a non CO2 welder. U know one of those cheap ones that has the gas in the tread.... Damn irritating to use, maybe I'll just get someone else to weld it for me... Irritating it is... Luckeli I made a few of these, I just need to bend the pieces. But other than that I have a few to try on....
Old Sun 10 December 2006, 02:10
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

I'm looking forward to seeing the excact order of welding the Y-Car together so I can get a little further with this one soon.
Old Sun 10 December 2006, 21:54
Gerald_D
Just call me:

The weekend had fine summer weather, and wife's family is coming to visit soon, so it was home maintenance time - sorry, no photos yet. Tonight?....
Old Mon 11 December 2006, 09:50
fabrica
Just call me:

It seems that you are having some fun over there. All the best to you. Give our regards to all the people who are gathering at your place to enjoy the weekend.
Old Mon 11 December 2006, 11:15
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Kim, see this thread for the welding sequence.

The snag of living in a place like Cape Town, is that every lost family member finds reasons to come and visit for cheap! I need to find parking for 7 cars at my house!
Old Mon 11 December 2006, 11:50
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Thx Gerald.... That looks a little more easy than what I have been trying out... hehe, I'm not gonna show my terrible welding...*GGGG* But This looks kind of easy though.

Gonnat try the first time I get time for it this week.

Keep up the nice informative work Gerald...

Kim
Old Sat 16 December 2006, 11:01
Donald Neisler
Just call me:

Come on Kim, I am bitting at my finger tips to see more :-)
Old Sat 16 December 2006, 15:48
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Sorry guys, haven't had any time this weekend yet, Been seeing my daughter, and when that happens I give all my attention to her.
But maybe I'll see if I can get something welded tomorrow, I have also gotten hold of a Cabinet for the Electronics now, and for free even, surplus from my dads work. Had 2 little scrathes on it, then it's garbage...LOL I'll see if I can take a few pictures sunday or monday.
Old Tue 20 February 2007, 18:31
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Ok, finally something is beginning to happen here. Just had my X-Axis beams cut today. Damn they are heavy... 3100mm long so that my final cutting area becomes. 1250*2500mm
Old Tue 20 February 2007, 21:44
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Don't let anyone tell you that a MechMate is a lightweight hobbyist machine. Good to hear that there is still life in Europe!
Old Tue 20 February 2007, 23:41
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

There is nothing lightweight in a MechMate... I am also in the progress of getting a Welder bought so that I can weld it all together also... I'm looking forward to bringing you all pictures in a month or two, at this time we have snow in Denmark... Not good working conditions when there's no heat or insulation in the garage yet.
Old Mon 26 February 2007, 10:31
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

This is the kit i deliver. it contains all the lasercut parts, plus the gauge plate for the z axis. Price is 140Euro's or £100 UK. +shipment.
Payment up front either via bank transfer, og paypal. And yes, the spider plate is bent. I can also deliver bent, at a cost of £50 uk, or 70 Euros giving a final price of either £150 UK or 210 Euros + Shipment.

Old Mon 26 February 2007, 10:50
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Amazing how we suddenly have lots of possibilities!

Looking at Kim's pic, you must admit that you get a heck of a lot of value for the price.

Hope everyone noticed that slightly revised drawings were released yesterday?

Kim, that Z-plate might not be as hard as the "tool steel" gauge plate. Do you use something special for the steel, and is it totally flat after the heat of the laser? I am sure it will work 100% but some perfectionists might want the special steel and precision.
Old Mon 26 February 2007, 10:55
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Gerald, I can deliver in TOOL Steel that will not warp during hardening, but for now I'm delivering in mild steel. i could also use domex 650 steel it is very durabel and very hard. The gauge plate is not grinded so the 2 45 degree angles you need to find someone else to make..
If the gauge plate needs to be delivered in TOOL Steel the price will change as this is very expensive. Domex 650 is the same price.
Old Mon 26 February 2007, 10:58
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Oh, and the spider plate i saw that was changes should not be a problem, cause the holes for the V-Rollers are not cut, så people can make them with ease where ever they want to have them. These spider plates are marked for the size 3 rollers. I'm currently in the progress of finding out what the price for the rollers should be from me including the bearings. not pressed in though... You guys must do somethings your selves... LOL
Old Mon 26 February 2007, 12:01
Gerald_D
Just call me:

That Swedish Domex 650 is very tough stuff! But, it will be very difficult to cut the countersink holes.
Old Mon 26 February 2007, 12:08
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

there is many more choises. I can cut it in Domex 355, 420, 600 or 650
Old Tue 27 February 2007, 11:28
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Finally, I have a price indluding P&P to the UK...

The Price for one complete set, including the Gaugeplate is £175 delivered to your dorrstep anywhere in the UK...
Old Mon 19 March 2007, 16:56
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Ok, finally again something is quietly happening here, have just ordered my X and Y rails, final price, will be well under any price I have seen inhere, good to have a dad who has all the connections when things need to be made... So this said, I will have X and Y rails made for around $75... :-D
Old Mon 19 March 2007, 22:53
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Kim, I have to meet your dad sometime. He and I have a lot in common....sons who want cheap CNC machines.
Old Tue 20 March 2007, 00:36
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

Gerald... Nice... I think it's nice having dad's who can fix things at a reasonable price...
Old Tue 20 March 2007, 01:22
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Us oldies have to be careful of the KIPPERS - Kids In Parent's Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings.
Old Tue 20 March 2007, 09:49
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL Nice one Gerald...
Old Thu 05 April 2007, 08:01
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

So now I have my Crossbearers cut, and bent, going to be boltet to the main beams with 2 12 mm bolts on each side of the table. so 14 pcs of 12mm bolts pr side of the table, going to post picture later today of the crossbearer.
Old Sun 15 April 2007, 17:20
Pierre GRAND
Just call me:

Kim,

Is it possible to see some photos of your mechmate and cut exemples ???Maybe videos ???
Thanks again for the cuts : mine is on the go...
Old Mon 16 April 2007, 09:23
Admin
Just call me:

Posted by Kim Mortensen on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 02:37 pm:

Pierre, You have it all wrong, my mechmate is not build yet... I'm
still in the beginning stage... But when it is done, then I will
gladly put pics and all online.
Old Sun 06 May 2007, 09:14
Kim Mortensen
Just call me:

News, thing's happening here....

The Y rail's have also been made.

The Gauge plate also made, with the 2 45 degree cuts...

Here's a look at the gauge plate from the angles...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read