MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 28 March 2009, 06:58
jazial
Just call me: JB

Lille
France
Mechmate in France - Lille

Hi,

first of all, big thanks to Gerald and everyone on this forum

after a couple weeks of brainstorming, i'm ready to start mechmate building
X 3000 Y 1500

Already ordered :

Racks and pinions (Module 1.5, Z20)
Pulleys and belts for 1:6 reducer
Vee Rollers and bushings

i've some questions for the next orders

Steel : i plan to use 40x40x4 square tube instead of 50x4 round tube, is it a good option ?

Motors : i'm seduced by 300W brushless motors http://www.granitedevices.fi/ same as above, is it a good choice ?

Z axis : i've some ballscrews and want to use it for Z, does anyone have already done this type of mod ?

Spindle : i've a small router which i'll use for test runs, but i'm looking for a more serious option, i've seen ELTE and COLOMBO, do you know other companies who makes quality spindles for reasonable prices ?

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 00 000 mechmate 20090328 resized.jpg (35.8 KB, 1353 views)
Old Sat 28 March 2009, 08:30
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome JB

40x40x4 square tube is a good replacement for 50x4 round tube.
Old Sat 28 March 2009, 14:38
jazial

Lille
France
ok, good to go, i will place my steel order on monday

thanks

i noticed you live at "fish hoek", is it mixed english/dutch language ?
i live near belgium border (200m) in losts fields, and the place is named "verloren hoek" litterally "lost corner"

i've translated almost all your drawings into solidworks (i use it every day at work), with BoM including weights, sizes, etc, etc...
i've a good level at mach3 (i've made a french version of it), i've made a couple of cnc machines

if i can help someone it will be a pleasure
Old Sun 29 March 2009, 04:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes Fish Hoek is also known as Vishoek.
Old Sun 29 March 2009, 06:43
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
G' do you remember those washing machine belts I had planned long back look like on of those, this is much better I think

good luck on the servo mechmate build JB ...........
Old Sun 29 March 2009, 08:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Sorry Irfan, I do not understand you.
Old Sun 29 March 2009, 09:24
javeria

Bangalore
India
look here
Old Sun 29 March 2009, 11:02
jazial

Lille
France
If i understand what i've seen in the thread you mention, i've to align pinion axis and motor axis in an horizontal plane, right ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reduction detail horizontal resized.jpg (25.1 KB, 1315 views)
File Type: jpg reduction detail vertical resized.jpg (24.4 KB, 1316 views)
Old Sun 29 March 2009, 23:01
javeria

Bangalore
India
JB - the ratio you have used is not possible without an idler in between. there will be very less number of teeth meshing on the smaller pulley.
Old Mon 30 March 2009, 00:33
jazial

Lille
France
i've already used this type of reduction, ok not many teeth on little pulley, but i think belt is large enough to accept load

i'll add an idler option on the motor plate
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 12:07
jazial

Lille
France
Lightbulb

hi,

wheels are here (from superior bearings), steel is ready for welding, laser parts are on the way, spindle almost ordered from teknomotors, servo drives too

anyone know teknomotors ? it seems to be good stuff, any comment ?

i've found 2N.m brushless DC, i plan to use them with 6:1 ratio

anyone feels it reasonable ?

ok, i assume that most (every ?) users of mechmate design uses steppers without issue, and i understand that my "washing machine design" could be useless but i've some bad experiences with steppers, that's why i really want to use servos (and after all, i'm french.... i can't do things like everybody :-))

my laser cuting company is ok to make mechmate kits for europeans "mechmaters" , but they don't speak english, if somebody wants to order parts from them, please ask me (PM), i willl translate for them

thanks to every mechmate builders, and special thanks to gerald (who will receive a belgian beer selection for my first cut)
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 12:38
javeria

Bangalore
India
you should probably read this too - you might get a few hints to proceed.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 14:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
JB, I am very keen to see your progress, especially because there is the promise of some non-French drinks!

Hey, I am a wine drinker and I heard a rumour that the French sometimes make a good wine? How about a Sauvignon Blanc from the Vallée de la Loire instead?
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 00:08
jazial

Lille
France
ok gerald, ok for wine

i live near belgian border, we don't make wine here, but belgians make very very good beers.

french wine quality is a worldwide knowledge, but not the belgian beer quality

therefore you'll receive wine and beer
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 22:28
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I want to design something as well!!!!!!I also want that Beer and Wine offer
signed

Jacobus Francois Joubert
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 23:17
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
. . . .that's Kobus showing his ethnic origins, just to get free booze. Typical.

Unfortunately I don't have fond memories of Lille; we were thrown off the Eurostar strain (Antwerpen - Paris) at a remote stop outside Lille because of a bomb scare. They didn't want the train to blow up in Lille - not very hospitable people.
Old Sat 30 May 2009, 15:33
jazial

Lille
France
Arrow

hi,

to gerald : ok, in lille we don't like trains which could explode in the center of the city, please excuse us ;-))

i hope the next time you ome here i can welcome you on the deck with bottles !! (beer and wine, as i said ;-))

i'm going to start the mechmate building, i'v get almost parts, i've to go to my laser cutting supplier on friday to weld X gantry and Y cart (i'm not a very experienced welder, i've ask them to help me for this critical parts)

i've some questions :

1 - i've get RAL 5017 paint, is it ok ?('not really a joke, but i know that if ti's blue it's enough for you) and,is it posible to paint the inside of c channel in white (like Scott in http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...?t=1385&page=2) without being kept outside of serial numbering ? (please excuse me if it's not understood, i try to make humor, but language border is not easy for me)

2 - i''ve ordered and get a 5 HP spindle from teknomotors (it cames from italy, and it cost me approx. 1400€ including VFD, wrench and 4 collets)
it seems to be good stuff,i've don't test it for the moment, but if someone have experience with it, please let me know

3 - i've get granite devices Brushless drivers, i've tested them, i'ts really good stuff, any body have already tested their products ?

4 - my laser cutting suplier is ok to make "mechmate laser cuts and digitals bending" for european users, do i have to make an annoucement for them in the market section of the forum ? (they don't speak english at all, but they make good prices ;-))

5 - does blue sheet (i don't know the term in english, it is steel sheet wich is "hardened?") is good instead of gauge plate for Z slide ?

6 - as gerald said previously, high speeds is good for travels if i've good stops on each axis, is it a non destructive method to test the ability of my machine to achieve high speeds ?

thanks to everrybody on this forum
Old Sat 30 May 2009, 21:51
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Your jokes are okay

The paint colours are fine, you will get a serial number if it has a logo and it is cutting (or writing).

Your laser supplier is welcome to make an announcement. Post that anywhere - I will move it to the right place.

Hardened steel sheet will be good, but remember that you still have to drill holes in it. What is the original language name of that "blue sheet"?

The stops have been able to handle the highest speeds on our machines without any problems, but I don't know what mass some guys are putting on their gantries, or how fast all the big motors can go.
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 02:29
jazial

Lille
France
Hi all,

some progress, table is standing on its legs (only 2 on this picture )
10 10 304 are missing, i plan to use space under table to store wood stock (not a lilliputian rock festival . I'll decide it later.

almost welding is done, i'll post pictures when the top of table will be clean (as many mechmaters, table top is full of mechmate stuff during building )

I've made reduction stages for X and Y with 1:6 ratio (no real pics at this moment), special thanks to leo (CastOne) for flanged bearings idea and irfan for idler.

to adjust belt tension, i use to make this kind of cutting design, it helps a lot to adjust tension, instead of sliding, motor have to rotate.

next step : rails, and painting
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 06:25
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
So do you have these cut out already? I'd love to see som pictures of the actual unit.
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 14:34
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
Interesting! Looking forward to seeing your results on the belt/stepper combo.
Old Tue 11 May 2010, 22:28
jazial

Lille
France
Mike : i'm waiting for some parts, ill post pictures as soon as unit is completed

Travis : actually this reduction unit is for servos, i've designed a 1:4 unit for steppers for an other french guy, but both machines will not be ready to cut before some weeks

stepper reduction unit :

Old Mon 17 May 2010, 04:01
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
nice design

JB
Mooi ontwerp. (I think you will understand some dutch)
I am designing also a belt reducer this moment. Do you have some details about the bearings from the big wheel?
Regards Rik
Old Mon 17 May 2010, 05:33
jazial

Lille
France
dank u

Bearings are F6902-2RS, alittle bit hard to found at my usual suppliers in france, found it at SMB bearings in england
http://www.smb-bearings.co.uk/
Old Mon 17 May 2010, 10:16
jazial

Lille
France
anyone knows how to move this thread to construction started area ?

maybe only gerald can do that ?

thanks
Old Mon 17 May 2010, 10:22
rischoof

Goirle
Netherlands
Thank you JB
Will check out in the checheng street this week. Last time I was there for a bearing for my vacuumcleaner. this one was 0.6 euro and my daugter was loaded with candy.
Old Mon 17 May 2010, 10:30
jazial

Lille
France
It's working !

be careful, smb take me 2 offers, one with japanese bearigs, another with chinese bearings.

i've ordered both to feel the difference.

chineses are very cheap, but i feel the difference with japanese ones, out of the box you can feel that's not the same quality. And i don't want to know the difference with hours of work in their legs. (please excuse me if it's not understandable).
Old Tue 18 May 2010, 07:46
rischoof

Goirle
Netherlands
I know exactly what you mean.
I live in taiwan thats just in front of china. I had already one time that they had sold me used bearings. I think he had told me, because he was telling me a whole story in his shop. but I can only 3 words chinese. It is not hard to find the Japanese quality stuff here. In my favorite street in Taipei there are around 10 shops only selling bearings
Japan is luckily also not that far away so I can easily find plenty of Japanese brands. most times I choose Nachi or NSK. these are also very cheap here compared with europe
Old Mon 24 May 2010, 13:47
jazial

Lille
France
Hi all,

some progress today, paintbrush, roller and go !

4 hours later...

screwing plywood back in place, and "voila", the now traditionnal "beer on" picture

i know that thewall need some paint too

funny detail, UPN are "emc ready", funniest when you know that i'm french reseller of mach3

tomorrow, grinding, and grinding...
Old Tue 25 May 2010, 10:52
javeria

Bangalore
India
JB what is the wattage of your servo motors???

also would you mind if you share solidworks models of your servo and stepper reduction units, I will PM you my email id.

RGDS
Irfan

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read