MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 02 October 2011, 08:12
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Price going up this week, but managed to secure a few bundles at R195.00 ea exc vat (increase said to be about 6%) - importers are very sneaky, bring the boards in having paid for them when the leave the country of origin but keep them in Dollar value, when you buy them if the Rand has dropped they then charge you the current exchange rate, if not then at the rate they paid. (bundles currently in stock at the importers took a jump last week when the Rand had a stutter)

The quality of the import board varies quite a bit, about three weeks back I could only get ones with an incredibly thin face ply and bright orange glue, this latest batch is manufactured by Rodrigues in Brazil, face plys are nice and thick and is proported to be the Rolls Royce of shutter ply, however there are still many faults with these boards and that referance may be a bit of an insult to Mr's R&R.
Old Sun 02 October 2011, 08:29
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Hennie,
That is a great idea man. Do you mind sharing the files?
Old Sun 02 October 2011, 22:17
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Alan did you get them from davidsons?Marius at the moment I can`t busy negotiating a contract with a huge building supplier to market the product.
Old Sun 02 October 2011, 23:19
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Wow Hennie, that is great. I hope your negotiations go well. I will buy some when they come out.
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 00:05
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
No wonder Hennie is not BUGGING me lately...he is BUSY
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 00:22
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus, there comes a time in every boy's life when he becomes a man and start doing his own thing. I think our Hennie has ventured into big business.
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 00:35
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Hennie, not from Davidsons, got this lot through Airton Timbers (came direct from Merenskys store - the importers) quite a big savings on the quantity of boards.

Good luck with your negotiations, hopefully its not with that group of building suppliers with warehouses all over the country - they want the stuff for less than it costs you to manufacture and then if the mood takes them they can return large quantities for credit, plus you have to pay for shelf space, marketing etc etc, oh and dont forget the rebate they demand at the end of the month based on orders placed with you!!!!! - be very strong in negotiations and be prepared to walk away if the deal is not absolutly in your favour.
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 04:11
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus, I am always busy ( planning next machine to cut bamboo only )thought you are in the states on your trip.Where is your last pit stop.do you have space for a Webber Carburator in your suitcase.
Marius let me know what you need then I will cut it for you.
Alan, no not for them but will give you a call.( I am in Cape town this weekend with the family meeting up with a client).
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 04:38
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I travel light...small backpack.... 3 onderbroeke....een in tas een aan bas en een in was.
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 04:51
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Jy kan 'n onderbroek se leeftyd met 'n faktor 4 vermeerder.....as hy begin vuil raak draai agterkant na voor. Daarna draai binne na buite en dan weer voor na agter..
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 05:56
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald,
Ever wondered why the girls avoid you?
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 06:05
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
If I turn it around I might talk funny..
Old Mon 03 October 2011, 06:34
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
I think Route 66 is going to see a sudden increase in flies

Hennie, ek wag vir jou oproep as jy tyd vry het.
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 07:51
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Baby cnc

For you oaks who watched my drawing above the steel have arrived and how do they say the rest is history small machine is being born cutting area 1200x 600 mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg staal 1.jpg (19.0 KB, 723 views)
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 09:17
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Looking interesting... how long before its running?

Didnt have any luck with the vermiculite today, dont have any left.
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 10:19
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
That looks good Hennie. Keep us up to date with pictures.

P.S. I have just started a build on a 6.0m x 2.0m with a fourth axis. I have changed the Z slide design though.
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 10:24
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Don`t worry I will see if I can find some Monday morning while other trades are doing their thing.Alan when I get back in JHB I am going to start the first moment I have.The MM is going to be busy again 9 Hours a day till the 22 nd Nov.Most of what I am doing is small items so the MM is a bit to big.I have the need for a small machine.Cost for that cutting all in 6 mm steel is R1400.00 and the 76x76 x2 mm sq tubing for the machine is just under R800.Structure for this one is about R3500.00 ( my Budget).Then to save for linear guide beaings.(as you know I have most of the other parts and then still one or two trips to Greg )
The Bamboo Projects are going to keep me busy till the end of the year.
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 10:31
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Hi, Marius
I have also changed my z-axis design to one that I can use on the MM and the small one and my Next year project 8x4 table.My MM might become a saw in the future ( have 2 radial arm saws that might just do the thing if I use the motors)Boer maak `n plan.
I can`t afford a Strubieg saw so I have to make a plan.
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 10:35
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Hennie, it sounds like you have many plans for next year. I am glad to hear that.
I had to change the Z design as I have to travel almost 350mm on the Z. I am still using the car but the slide has a ball screw now.

Are you going to make the saw a cnc saw?
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 10:45
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
I have been looking at it.It would be cutting mainly in the x direction.I am going to try it first and see if it works.We have everything to make a saw out of the MM.If you think about it there is only one main chief doing the work ,there is no Jack`s running with a board through a table saw,and the best of it all is you can place a board on the table and let it rip.I don`t know when was the last time that I cut a 9x6 board.
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 13:13
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Hennie,
That is they way I see it as well. Me and Me alone on the job with no destructive interference to make my life difficult.
I am sure the saw is going to be a winner.
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 20:56
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Shame how will Malema and his Auntie Winnie benefit from you okes..
Old Fri 11 November 2011, 21:11
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Exactly, benefit se mo*r.
Old Sat 12 November 2011, 12:52
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Wel Kobus since he Didn`t Pass woodwork at school he can come and spend some time with me for the next five years so I can show him how it is done and if he makes mistakes I can moer him the way our teachers used to.The only thing is I would use brute force! and send him back to Winnie with a stompie wonder what she is going to say then.
Old Fri 09 December 2011, 10:21
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
bamboo counter

I did a bamboo counter for a kitchen company this week the inside of the table was cut with the MM to give it rigidness so the 45 deg joint don`t crack when the installers work with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final a.jpg (10.0 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg final b.jpg (9.1 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg final c.jpg (12.6 KB, 504 views)
Old Fri 09 December 2011, 10:29
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
bamboo tops

some more bamboo tops that I cut with the MM. Although I have some backlash on my gearboxes I still get a clean cut.Must say on small circles one don`t pick it up but once it goes big you can see the backlash on the cut.It is time to do belt drives.And to my friend check the floors are clean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tops a.jpg (15.7 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg tops b.jpg (16.4 KB, 506 views)
Old Fri 09 December 2011, 11:02
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
ja ja grootbek...my plek is klein daarom is hy vol stof...ek kan nie inkom om te vee nie
Old Fri 09 December 2011, 12:50
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Hennie,
I have a nice belt driven reduction solution if you are interested. I am making three now for my new router.
Old Fri 09 December 2011, 20:12
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Marius I would like to have a look at it I have some belt and gears somewhere that I got right in the beginning of it all but never really started.Also all of my metal tools and lathe are rusting away down at the coast. Are you going away for the holiday?
Old Fri 09 December 2011, 22:44
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
How does one solve a backlash issue? you tighten the grub screws on the pinion`s Has anybody thought about welding the pinions to the shaft after grub screw issues.Moral of this service your machine and check the dam GRUB screws!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read