MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 23 September 2010, 12:43
toad
Just call me: Toad #80

Burlington NC
United States of America
Finally completed upgrading #80 - Burlington, NC

Good day all, finally got it running, I will post a pic as soon as I clean up the shop and figure out how to post a picture. I am assuming I just insert an image.
I had to get a new PC, Mine died and I lost all of my files, The new one is windows 7 and is 64 bit with no parallel port. I add a PP and than found out it will not work on 64 bit, only 32. Than I found a Warp 9 smoothstepper, and with a little help from Greg, it runs great on a USB Cable.

Toad
Old Fri 24 September 2010, 04:51
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Toad

First Up - your data may still be on your old hard drive.
You might like to try removing it and put the drive into a portable external hard drive case to see if your new machine can read its contents.

Secondly - well done on your Windows7 x64 test. I tested this myself when I saw your post and it does indeed work as you say.
Although this is not specifically stated on the Mach3 site, the software does actually run on a Win7 x 64 machine.
What does not work is the parallel port driver, however when using the Smooth Stepper USB driver, the parallel driver driver is not used or required, hence the X64 limitation is effectively removed.

Reading the Smooth Stepper manual on how to set up Mach3, this set was where the penny dropped for me. Hope this might makes it clear for others.

ST Setup.JPG

Here in Australia, at least, most new consumer windows machines are now delivered in the X64 format and increasingly without a parallel port.
Regards
Ross
Old Fri 24 September 2010, 07:13
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Hi Ross.

There is also a add on for the 64 bit that they will send you in an e-mail to make it compatable with the 64 bit. the onlt problem I have had is sometimes it will just stop working, Iam being told that it in something that my PC is running in the background, and I have been looking for it. I have stoped the screen background from changing folders automatically and removed power saver mode.
But you are correct, no new PC's have a parallel port. Mach is running a PC on a add on parallel port on windows 7 but it is on a 32 bit system. They say it runs fine.
V-Carve, Cut 3D and other Vector products run fine on windows 7, but BobCad will run, but it does not like it. Sometime it doesnot want to start up.
Other than that, I'm a happy camper.

Toad
Old Fri 24 September 2010, 10:09
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Good day,
Here is some shots of my machine, its only 6 ft. long, didi't have room for a full size unit[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]IMG_1716.JPG[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

How do I get a Decal?

Toad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1712.JPG (67.7 KB, 1345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1713.JPG (65.7 KB, 1341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1714.JPG (65.7 KB, 1341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1715.JPG (68.6 KB, 1339 views)
Old Fri 24 September 2010, 10:58
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...Interesting.
You didn't use the MM laser cut plates. Completely scratch MM(ish) built including the transmissions.

Good effort & congratulations on your build.

Sean
Old Fri 24 September 2010, 19:12
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Toad

Very good effort - congratulations.
I trust you will now make some great stuff with your new machine.
It is always nice to see some pics of what MM builders are making too.

The power management for your Win7 X64 OS is more detailed than in the past operating systems.
The power savings from this OS are much improved over previous implementations BUT the devil is in the detail.
You really don't want your x64 OS to idle at any time so go to the advanced power settings and play around there.

Two settings other than screen saver and sleep settings you might want to change to achieve an always on system are the USB Idle and Minimum Processor states.

USB Power.JPG
CPU Idle.JPG

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 27 September 2010, 07:56
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Good day all,
Thanks Ross, I think I did that, but I will go back and double check. I appreciate all of your, and everyone elses assistance, everyone has been a big help.

and yes, I did not use the laser cut pieces, I went with a 1/4 X 6 inch plate for the router to mount on.

Toad
Old Tue 05 October 2010, 10:29
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Cool Spindle's

Good day all;

I am thinking of converting my router to a spindle and inverter, can someone tell me the likes/dislikes of water cooled over air cooled, and what else will be needed?
I have a PMDX 122 BOB but Steve said I will need an interface board to control the spindle.
I need to find out from someone who has allready done this what I am getting in too. Your guidance will be appreciated.

Toad
Old Tue 05 October 2010, 11:38
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Air Cooled Vs. Water Cooled

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1981
Old Wed 06 October 2010, 16:53
polishpickle
Just call me: Jerry

Medina
United States of America
I have an air cooled spindle and I control it through the VFD no direct hook up to my control computer. I just start it by pushing the run on the VFD and adjust the speed and the start my routing. I thought about getting a breakout board but see no need for it.
Old Wed 06 October 2010, 20:38
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Thumbs down

Thanks,
I was thinking of doing just that also, I was wondering how much louder the air cooled spindles are, and how hot they run. as for now I am leaning more toward the water cooled one's unless someone convinces me otherwise.
Thanks again

Toad
Old Wed 06 October 2010, 21:10
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Personally, I am not a fan of water anything near any of my electronics. I have used perske, columbo and other air cooled spindles for almost 10+ years without issue. They are a little louder, but I have had great success with them. Additionally, that air exhaust can be used to clear the chip path if directed smartly.

As far as control, if the BOB supports +/- 10vdc or similar (like the g540), you can easily adjust spindle speed from the program. Up until now (even on my MultiCAM 1000 machine) the speed was set on the front panel of the VFD and just a "contact run" sent from the BOB for control. On or Off only from the g-code.

Simple and reliable - but old school. Fancy is nice, sometimes less is more.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by smreish; Wed 06 October 2010 at 21:12..
Old Thu 07 October 2010, 04:48
polishpickle

Medina
United States of America
I have the HSD and it has a fan that looks like the ones used in computers. It is a little louder than a computer fan. My spindle runs cool
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 06:20
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Does anyone have an air cooled spindle that they would recommend? E-Bay has some, but all of the instructions are in Chinese.

Toad
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 17:30
polishpickle

Medina
United States of America
O like my HSD but they are a little pricey.
Old Mon 11 October 2010, 17:53
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
http://blurrycustoms.com/products/sp...ospindles.html

I bought my columbo spindle 2.2kw air cooled and drive from BlurryCustoms. They are MM members and offer AWESOME customer service.

Sean

The shop I installed it in (on MM #58) have been using it pretty much 40 hours a week since last year with no issues.
...also, they offer some discounts for forum members last time I asked!
Old Sat 04 December 2010, 13:25
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Cool Finally got spindle working and logo's applied

Good day all,

I finally got the spindle working properly and Logo's applied with the help of Steve, (PMDX BOB) Arturo( CNC4PC) and Greg ( Smoothstepper).
Couldn't have done it without all of your their help, and all of yours.
Thanks a lot.

How do I get a Serial #?

[ATTACH][ATTACH]10813
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1724.JPG (23.7 KB, 938 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1719.JPG (17.3 KB, 935 views)
Old Thu 24 March 2011, 07:03
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Finally completed upgrading

Good day all,
Been away for a while, I have been upgrading. Got some new laser cut parts from a member, and some from Mike. I went to a full size instead of the smaller one I had in use.
Sorry, but I didn't take pictures along the way, but here are a few of the almost completed unit. I still have to paint the control panel, but everything is working as it should.

Still have to double check to see if everything is grounded properly so the smoothstepper doesn't trip out.

We will keep in touch,

Toad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1730.JPG (25.6 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1731.JPG (22.2 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1732.JPG (29.5 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1733.JPG (24.7 KB, 751 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1734.JPG (24.9 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1736.jpg (14.2 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1738.JPG (28.4 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1739.JPG (27.0 KB, 748 views)
Old Thu 24 March 2011, 09:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ah, that looks like the real thing!
Old Thu 24 March 2011, 10:12
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yep - looking good !! Let us know when your makin dust with your upgrade !!!
Old Thu 24 March 2011, 11:10
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Hi all;

will do, thanks for the comments.
Old Thu 24 March 2011, 12:13
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
enjoy and well done
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 20:08
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Hi all;
Just a few things I've been working on, seems to be working great. had one leak at the pump for the spindle, bad solder joint, fixed it this weekend.
Downloaded e-cabinets, but havent figured it out yet.
Hope everyone is having a good day. This is fun.

Toad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1741.jpg (22.9 KB, 597 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1745.jpg (23.3 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1746.jpg (26.3 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1755.jpg (16.4 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1756.jpg (19.8 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1759.jpg (26.0 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1761.jpg (20.6 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1763.jpg (24.5 KB, 600 views)
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 20:53
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Man that is super !!!
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 20:57
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Sounds like Serial Number time?
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 21:03
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yes it is #80 - Congrats on going the extra mile to get your machine redesigned !!!! Nice looking projects , I hope we get to see more !!!
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 23:05
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Another MAGIC VECTRIC free project well executed.. well done
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 05:43
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Good day;
Thanks all I do appreciate it. 80 is a good number.
Vectric puts out some nice projects each month. My Wife liked this one so you know where its going.
Thanks Mike, couldn't have done it without everyone's help and assistance, good bunch of guys.

Toad
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 05:59
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Toad,

Congratulations on completing your MechMate and earning Serial #80!

Wow, nice carvings too.

Here's the Updated Builder's Log.

Please provide us a "start" date (when you actually started construction, not just reading and planning). Also, I guessed at the width. Please correct me. Did you stick with the 6 feet for the X dimension?

Also, please review your Builder's Log entry and let me know any changes you would like to make.
Old Tue 05 April 2011, 14:31
toad

Burlington NC
United States of America
Hi JHiggins;
I started in march of 2010. The rails are X is 6 ft. apart and Y rails are 10 ft.
When I upgraded, I used the laer cut parts, I got some from David S and some from Mike. The X rails are channel Iron.

Thanks for the compliment.

Toad

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read