MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 17 October 2012, 21:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Sweet!
Old Thu 18 October 2012, 12:09
explo10
Just call me: explo10 #97

hennuyères
Belgium
hello, I have not yet set Thc, for the moment I set my program to a boot Z +2, then 1.5 second delay before descending to Z +1 and starts cutting.
Old Thu 18 October 2012, 13:39
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Thank you for the detail.
Old Fri 19 October 2012, 10:25
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
I'm having a little ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwm97...hannel&list=UL
Old Fri 19 October 2012, 11:20
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Nice job! I've been meaning to add one of these to my machine as well. Thanks for posting,
Cheers,
Tim
Old Fri 19 October 2012, 12:46
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
this is super versatile machine, now it will work for me! video: speed trials
Explo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=MO88EZCvBMA
Old Thu 08 November 2012, 05:56
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
Hyperherm 85 on, steel 12mm cut :
Very good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVkx8AgInM&feature=plcp
Old Wed 14 November 2012, 14:02
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeq8PMSOauU&feature=plcp
Old Fri 23 November 2012, 05:58
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Very impressive.....
Good job, sir.
Old Wed 09 January 2013, 15:12
lolailando
Just call me: lolailando

troy ny
United States of America
Hello Gerald and all,
is it still recommended to get 800oz< motors....or after this succesful builds with 1200oz motors should we say 1200oz motors may be a better option? the price difference is minimal in the long run.
thank you
Old Wed 09 January 2013, 22:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Can't say, because I havn't seen a side-by-side comparison with these motors swopped out on the same MM.
Old Tue 15 January 2013, 10:39
kb18951452
Just call me: kb18951452

Sunnyvale
United States of America
Motor size needed for plasma

You have 1200oz motors, but if you were only using plasma, what size motors would be needed? 300 oz?
Old Tue 15 January 2013, 10:42
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
Depends on the weight of gantry, for a mechmate gantry 300 oz seems a bit light. Look for a thread about motors and continue reading.
Old Tue 15 January 2013, 23:38
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
Hello, careful with the plasma cutter using high speeds. Between 8000 and 9000 mm / min sometimes. As stated danilom, the gantry is heavy. Must be able to compensate with inertia motors.
regards,
explo10
Old Wed 08 May 2013, 08:06
oficina do corten
Just call me: oficinadocorten

São Paulo
Brazil
Thumbs up Hello Explo10 and ALL

Dear Explo10,

Thanks a lot for your attention to detail in publishing your fabulous work!

Its really inspirational, i will start soon to build a MM here in Brazil.
Old Wed 08 May 2013, 11:45
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
Hi,
And you will not regret it, this machine is fabulous and I can not do without! Good luck with your work
Explo
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 00:29
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
Thumbs up

Hello,
1 year working with the machine mounted plasma and no problems or wear! Solid production!
Goodbye
explo
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 05:22
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
That's good to hear.
I have no use for a plasma machine, but would still love to have one.
Old Fri 30 August 2013, 09:05
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Wear & tear is not a problem with MM, be it router or Plasma. BUT, IMHO, MM gantry is on the heavy side for Plasma work.
I did 5000~6000 mm/min run, but the acceleration isn't good enuf hence affecting the cut quality... my motor is 640oz-in & direct drive. anyway, usual Plasma CNC cuts at 2500~3500mm/min ,mine cuts nicely in this speed zone.
With 300 0z-in, you must have at least 3:1 belt reduction. I reckon a Nema23 work well with this configuration.
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 00:33
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
I do not have this problem with my big motors mounted directly pinion. I cut regularly 4500-6500mm/min. The more I go fast is the best cut. Sometimes a little vibration resonance but simply adapt the speed a little, for example 4000mm/min it vibrates at 4100mm/min it is fluid.
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 01:26
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Thanks for the feed back. I'll look into 1200oz-in motor.

What THC are you using.
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 02:07
explo10

hennuyères
Belgium
I use this THC control : http://www.procutcnc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=THC

But it took me a long time to understand and adjust properly! Now it works fine, I'm still missing a zero sensor but I'm doing fine without.
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 02:15
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Zero sensor is easy to implement. You can use ohmic sensor just like what usual MM router do with their zero-touch-off, but the advantage is that metal is conductive & you can zero the torch anywhere on the plate. My Thermodyne came with an ohmic sensor attachment in the accessory pack, its just a simple metal/brass clip which fit onto the torch body with another strip touching the tip.. Maybe HyperTherm supply one as well.
I reckon the Zero sensor is optional with Voltage control type THC. but than again, knowing where zero is makes me a peaceful man.
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 08:02
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
Ken I regularly work on systems who use a THC that senses pressure when it touches off the plate. Ohmic is nice but this system works just fine too. I'm a huge fan of Hypertherm products. Very user friendly and reliable. When I go out in installs and the customer has these I know it will function properly and we can follow close to the book values.
Anyways great job with the adaptation of the mechmate to plasma.
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 13:20
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Are you referring to floating head? I do not have preference over which sensing method. I'll go for anything that is minimum parts count, robust, minimum moving parts & minimal maintenance.
Hypertherm or Thermodyne make no difference to me, I've never use both before this. & most importantly I'm never a brand loyalist... I bought Thermodyne because they response to my sales inquiry with good follow-up, bought me beer & gave me a hefty discount. Moreover, their technician will show up within half a day whenever I call.
I understand there are more teaching materials from Hyperherm, but really, I can always figure out things with Thermodyne manual + Hypertherm net material + help from forum friends particularly Anthony & Danilo.

Every other person in my country use Hyperhterm, but why should I.

One nice thing with Thermodyne is that they have their regional office, workshop, manufacturing facility less than 50km from where I am.

BTW, All model in the same series of Thermodyne uses the same torch & consumable. I like this A LOT.
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 14:37
jessyjames
Just call me: James

Reno, Nevada
United States of America
Of course Ken Thermal Dynamics is a great product too. We all have out favorites, as we should, I was just saying that Hypertherm is my fav. Thermal Dynamics had some major quality control issues and to meet the customer demands they closed up one of their facilities so they can monitor quality control better. They are great and very proactive.
I have found that in the end it is the end user who determines cut quality. You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink.
My brands of choice:
1. Kaliburn ( very pricy )
2. Hypertherm
3. Thermal Dynamics
Old Mon 02 September 2013, 22:17
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
I seriously have no preference over brand... I'm never a brand loyalist... I find it life restricting to loyal to brand which I have to pay for.
I may try some china plasma some day to compare value for money.
& challenge my EMI/RFI circuit noise protection "kung fu" with HF start.
I'm surrounded by these chinese plasma, all I have to do is ask ...
For now procrastination wins...
Old Mon 07 October 2013, 23:04
bluesea
Just call me: bluesea

riverside
Indonesia
Nice work.

I found DIY THC with arduino here
Old Tue 08 October 2013, 21:00
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Mach 3

As I cruise the various CNC websites I continue to see Mach 3 and soon to be Mach 4 as a regular main stay. The software is easy to adapt for almost any situation. I have been reading everything I can on the development of home manufacturing. I see people designing automated machines to do just about everything. Most of these developers are using Mach 3. I am surprised but not complaining that they only charge $175. Best of luck to you.
Old Wed 09 October 2013, 09:41
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrayhursh View Post
As I cruise the various CNC websites I continue to see Mach 3 and soon to be Mach 4 as a regular main stay. The software is easy to adapt for almost any situation. I have been reading everything I can on the development of home manufacturing. I see people designing automated machines to do just about everything. Most of these developers are using Mach 3. I am surprised but not complaining that they only charge $175. Best of luck to you.
Mach 4 will be $200 and they say there is not an 'upgrade' path for Mach3 users, but I am guessing some discount will be there.

Personally I am partial to LinuxCNC. Both because of my basic cheapness, and I tend to swim against the current when I feel 'everyone' does it one way. Kind of like why build a MechMate when a ShopBot is just a credit card call away. Before retirement I was both an applications designer / developer, and a UNIX systems admin in the years, so not much in computers are beyond my abilities (and did I say I am shy and retiring! Actually I am.) given a bit of time and effort. I also have a distrust of software where I can't view the source (even if I don't very often).

To this extent, the Raspberry Pi (or probably better Beagle Board Black) implementations to allow for CNC to turn into more of an 'appliance' (in the publics view) rather than requiring a 'computer', is better. LinuxCNC currently doesn't support USB driven devices, but these small single board computers could move LinuxCNC 'inside' the CNC devices, rather than appearing to be attached to a computer. ... Sorry, my ramblings.

Anyway, LinuxCNC works, MACH (in its various versions, I have a copy of Mach2 from 'back when') works. Go with what makes you the most comfortable.

Actually I have more of a problem with using WINDOWS than Mach. A version of Mach4 is supposed to run nicely on Linux... I see that as a good thing.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read