MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 30 June 2009, 17:02
shelbygt500buddy
Just call me: kyle

stuart fl
United States of America
Started my Cnc Machine (non-MechMate) Today - Stuart, FL

I have started the electronics did the simple heatsink havent decided how i want to mount it in the case yet...

Also been scrounging for metal got an old trailer 4'x8' breaking that down and sandblasting it at the moment (that was free and will do 75% of my machine) got the four legs for the machine for 5 dollars... And 4 g201's and 4 pacific scientfic motors all for 550 dollars with shipping... Small problem though they are all the same exact model but 2 say vs(dc) 35v and the other 2 say 1.99 v so i really dont know what to do about all that...

But here are my pics nothing to much so far... tomorrow i will hopefully mount the heatsink get thermal gell and wire for the motors tomorrow... Still waiting on breakoutboard and waiting to figure out the motor voltage so i can plan the power supply...

If you have any suggestions let me know...

Old Tue 30 June 2009, 18:51
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Kyle,
Please pay very close attention to the beginning of the the drawing package.
The table support cross bearers are not symmetrical about centerline of the table. There is a significant offset - about 4" off midline due to the cutting tool being offset in the y-car.

Sean
Old Tue 30 June 2009, 21:02
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbygt500buddy View Post
. . . 2 say vs(dc) 35v and the other 2 say 1.99 v so i really dont know what to do about all that...
We don't bother with the Volt ratings supplied with the motors, so it doesn't matter to us that they are different. Just check for equal heating when they are powered up.
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 15:33
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
I didnt get the vexta i got pacific scientific... im not sure if you noticed that... and if i dont worry about the voltage... what should my power supply be... if you want ill post pics of the motors to show you...
Old Wed 01 July 2009, 20:33
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Did see the Pacific Scien. - makes no difference to a Vexta for example. The power supply voltage is calculated from the motor inductances. See Calculate the Voltage and VA size of the DC power supply for stepper motors/geckos
Old Fri 03 July 2009, 15:14
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
Please check my work

Okay i called the company today and got the inductance of my motor model... They say it is 1.68... So i figure 42v (rounded up)... Can you please check my work? the amp rating is 5.9 so i will need 15amps supply? Is the 42v all i will need? My motors are bipolar just so you know.
Old Fri 03 July 2009, 22:18
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kyle, can you point us to a spec. sheet for the motors, or the model numbers, or even photos of the motors? The info you have provided so far is very sketchy and there could be confusion and mistakes.
Old Sat 04 July 2009, 14:21
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
Yeah tell me about it lol... spec sheet im not sure if i can get i will have to callt he company back if i do... umm here are the pics the company said the inductance was 1.68

sorry youre going to have to zoon

Last edited by shelbygt500buddy; Sat 04 July 2009 at 14:24..
Old Sat 04 July 2009, 15:23
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Are they both 4-wire motors? Same colour wires?

Sorry, but I cannot zoom enough to read the model numbers clearly.
Old Sat 04 July 2009, 17:50
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
If possible, it is best to use the more modern "square" motors. The older style "round" motors have less torque than the square motors.

I have 8 round motors, 4 of them are the PH299-03AA motors that I've never be able to use because of their high inductance, 1 of them is a Superior brand motor that was highly rated when I bought it in 1982. It ran a machine for more than 15 years and still works very well, but it only has 200 oz*in of torque. Similar sized square motors have 600 oz*in of torque.

To those who have access to round motors, I would suggest testing them with a power supply that puts out 35 to 40 VDC. If they work with that voltage, then you will be able to replace them with the PK296A2A-SG7.2 motors later on, or a PK296-03AA or PK296-F4.5A motor if you build your own gearbox.
Old Sun 05 July 2009, 11:33
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
i realize they square motors are better and i will upgrade to those but i had these ones so i figured i would use them for the mean time... umm here are what the labels read (second time typing this so im frustrated lol)

The ones with out green wires:
h31nrhb-lnn-ns-00
1.99 v(dc) bipolar
5.9 a(dc) bipolar

The ones with green wires
h31nrhb-lnn-ns-00
is(dc): 5.9 a bipolar parallel
vs(dc): 35 v
Old Sun 05 July 2009, 12:13
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
From this document . http://www.pacsci.com/support/documents/mtd/c-82.pdf those motors are pre-wired parallel with only 4 leads coming out. Can't find that inductance value, and whether it applies per coil, or per the paralleled coils. My first stab at a supply voltage would be the 35VDC printed on the one motor. (15 Amp total is okay).

Hope you have belt-drives planned for those motors because they seem too light for direct drive.
Old Sun 05 July 2009, 16:12
mikefoged
Just call me: Mike #27

Randers
Denmark
Send a message via MSN to mikefoged
h31nrhb-lnn-ns-00 this is 1 stack and as Gerald said they are to light
mine is also one stack and I had to put the belt-drives on.
Old Sun 05 July 2009, 17:05
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
Yeah i was going to design a belt drive for them... planning a 7:1 ratio for those... i was told they are 500 oz but i guess we will see...
Old Mon 06 July 2009, 14:06
shelbygt500buddy

stuart fl
United States of America
Yup old technology i called the company back the green is ground and the torque is 233 in/oz meaning either gear down or buy new motors... trying to work out a deal with the guy that supplied them he said maybe a refund idk...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read