MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 17 July 2013, 02:06
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Machining Aluminum #122 - Sydney, Australia

Hi all

After lurking around here for years I am finally pulling the plug and planning my Mechmate. A discussion with the "boss" last night confirmed my dreaming was over as my wonderful wife understood and approved the need for one of these machines.

To date I have been collecting parts and planning table sizes. Mine will be a pretty standard build based on 1220x2440 board size generally available here in Aus. The main table will be a bolt together design based primarily on Ross's (SurfCNC) machine, in fact Ross's machine is my benchmark and idea generating beast. I have drawn up the design in cad to give me all the bolt locations, lengths and sizes I need for the entire structure.

I will initially be starting with the Y axis and hope to purchase the laser kit within the month. That will allow me to get a fair way along with the major moving bits and have it all tested an operational for when I build the table.

This will not be a speed build by any means, major budget restraints have seen that off quick smart. What I have bought so far has exhausted the CNC buying budget already for the month, aside from the laser kit that is.

I do already have a CNC in the garage, it is a 1200x1200 aluminium/MDF build running Nema 23's and a combination of leadscrews and ballscrews along with a 2.2Kw water cooled spindle and Hitachi VFD. I hope to eventually sell this machine to further finance the build of my MM, minus the spindle and VFD which will go on the MM.

So far I have a number of things bought through here which has saved me some dollars. I must say I love the fact that the MM is built to metric standards, today I wandered down to the bearing shop and bought the idler bearing across the counter for $10.00. My previous machine was a US based build and was a total pain translating the required parts into metric equivalents.

I have also started the quote process for the idler shaft and spider bearing mounts. Got my first quote back at $185.00 for the machining, waiting on the other 2 before I decide which one to go with.

Anyway, I thought I would come out of the dark and into the light. I am so looking forward to the build and will update major bits as I go along. Don't expect too much too soon though

Cheers
Bruce
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 03:05
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Welcome Bruce and enjoy your build.
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 04:47
southernduckie
Just call me: Andrew (Duckie)

new south wales
Australia
Hello

Hi Bruce,
Welcome I hope your project progresses a little faster than mine lol. Keep us updated on your progress, Is this for home or your business?
Cheers Andrew
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 05:18
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
G'day Bruce.
Welcome.
I am pretty much in the same boat as you.
Some things are coming together for me, so I hope to have something to report soon.
My regards to Sydney, I spent a few happy weeks there once upon a time.
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 06:45
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Andrew: I must check out your build. I doubt mine will be moving too quick unless I can get at some of the tax money coming our way For now this is a home machine but I hope to make a little from it at the same time.

Others: Thanks for the welcome. I have enjoyed this site for a while now and feel I know of everyones machines. I just love all the variations that have resulted and the friendly nature of the forum, I am glad to be part of it now

Cheers
Bruce
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 09:10
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome Bruce....
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 09:50
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Welcome to the pit,
The build will be a breeze...
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 11:22
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
Welcome , im sure you will have fun building your Mechmate. Its a good solid machine
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 11:34
paulus
Just call me: paul

jhb
South Africa
Hi and welcome bruce I will say take your time with it.
Old Fri 19 July 2013, 00:24
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Received some parts today and I just have to say I was surprised by the size of the #3 V bearings, never seen one in the flesh before. My current machine has #2's on it and I can see why an MM is an industrial machine! I am looking forward to my journey even more now

While I am here, a question for the Aussies. Where did you guys get the Z slide steel from? I am having trouble finding 100x6 anything, beit cold rolled or ground. I did get offered a ground imperial plate (4"x18"x.25) in place of the metric one (@ $112.50) but that would be too short to grind myself.... or is it?

Been bumbling along cataloging my needs, went through every plan and noted all the bolts, nuts etc. I will be doing what Ross (SurfCNC) has done and taking my bolt supplier a spreadsheet cross referenced by drawing number.

Off to do more build reading now...

Cheers
Bruce
Old Fri 19 July 2013, 04:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
4"x18"x.25" is perfectly fine.
I got someone to mill the V's instead. Because of laziness.
Old Fri 19 July 2013, 04:50
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Ken

I'll get some quotes on milling the V's on one of those pieces, wouldn't be surprised though if it is in the hundreds here in Aus. Got another quote back to machine the idler and Z standoffs and that came back at almost $290.00. I think I might just get them of Metalhead instead.
Old Sun 21 July 2013, 19:54
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
I called steel works until I found one that could supply a hardened steel cut to width. The regular smallish steel suppliers didn't carry it. I'll look in my receipts and see which company it was. Surdex, maybe?
I ground vee rails myself. Wasn't much harder than the other axes, but maybe because the Z is a short push/pull of the grinder. Tricky if your steel is too short.
I got standoffs, feet and a few other things from Mike Metalhead. Highly recommend this route.
Old Sun 21 July 2013, 20:27
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Red

I did a quick Google on Surdex and found suredexsteel.com.au, might give them a call and see what they have. I'll also see if anyone in NSW can do the same. I am game to cut the vees myself, it was just the final sized plate that was concerning me. If I can get some oversized hardened plate I'll do it myself.

Definitely going with MetalHead Mike route for the standoffs etc. Would love to support Australian business but the costs just can't be justified on small jobs. The last guy to quote stated it would be 3 to 4 weeks to get them done!
Old Mon 22 July 2013, 02:06
David Bryant
Just call me: David #99

Western Australia
Australia
Consider
http://mechmate.com/forums/showthrea...&postcount=905
Cheers
David
Old Mon 22 July 2013, 02:24
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Hi David

I have that in the back of my mind, don't know if I want to be the first to try it Price isn't that bad either, A$135 plus 10% GST and another $20.00 to send it from Melbourne to Sydney.
Old Mon 22 July 2013, 02:37
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Bargain I would have gone that path had I known.
Check your spider drawings I dont think it is a change other than the mounting hole spacing.
Old Mon 22 July 2013, 02:51
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Ross did actually say that there would be a 2 mm change in the bearing location, the outer measurement of the extrusion is 104.1124mm as per their cad drawing. I did some preliminary drawings and the rack location is pretty spot on if you use the T slots to attach it. My only unknown was whether I would still need the stiffener tube as the extrusion is 18mm thick and I do not know how much room there is in the spider depression.
Old Mon 22 July 2013, 02:58
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Would only change the spacers under the V rollers at worst.
Are you using a spindle? (Rather than a router with the mounts close together)
If so my first guess would be that you would not need the stiffener tube. Spread the mounts on the spindle and add the stiffener if you can detect too much flex.
The 104 mm measured is less than the 105 design as the 105 is where the points of the V start and stop if they were present.

Oh with the T slots I would only have them at the top and bottom of the rack beyond where the gear runs. I was sckeptical but the double sided tape has worked very well.

Last edited by David Bryant; Mon 22 July 2013 at 03:01.. Reason: Added T slot comment
Old Mon 22 July 2013, 04:03
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
I am a spindle user, 2.2Kw. I was thinking of getting one of these mounts: http://www.cncrouterparts.com/80-mm-...unt-p-102.html , I have a K2 CNC style mount at the moment (the same as Ross and co have).

Gotcha on the V's, never thought of that

Heres a quick screenie of the Cad drawing with a square representing the rack. You have definitely got my creative juices flowing David, will research a little more now...

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-shot-2013-07-22-at-7.59.42-PM.jpg (7.6 KB, 2569 views)
Old Tue 23 July 2013, 02:09
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi

There is also a small adjustment required to the depth of the V bearings if you use this profile.
Around 2 mm max needs to be removed from the V Bearing radius as it interferes with the lip that captures the hardened stainless steel edge.

I have suggested to put a bolt in the bearing and retaining it in position with two nuts (one either side).
The assembly is then sanded on a belt sander, linisher or a face plate sander by making contact with the sanding surface at a small angle to the direction of travel.
This causes the bearing to rotate and sand off the small amount evenly from the outside diameter of the bearing.

Not a big deal but you need to be prepared to do it to your nice new V bearings.
Another option is to use an IVT compatible V bearing, no doubt this small fitment adjustment is not required if you use their bearings.
BooY is currently investigating this and informed of the issue.

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 23 July 2013, 04:01
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Thanks Ross

I am in no hurry re the plate at the moment. Might just wait until BooY has come back with more finding, if any
Old Tue 30 July 2013, 03:31
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Ordered my laser kit from Rick Nixon last night, really looking forward to seeing it and working with it. Am off to buy the steel for the gantry etc this week.

Also, the decision was made today to stick to the "normal" Z plate. Found some hardened steel plate today, cut to size for under $100.00. I am getting it 750mm long to cater for grinding and will cut to length myself. Pick it up Thursday. I'll PM MIke re the standoffs and idler shaft, might be able to squeak them in before next payday
Old Tue 30 July 2013, 06:20
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Eating the elephant one bite at a time....before you know it, you'll be making wood chips.
Old Wed 14 August 2013, 06:44
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Ordered and paid for my new controllers today, 4x DM882's. Should have them in my hands by next Wednesday according to Claudia of Deitech. Still no laser kit yet, hoping it will turn up this week I did buy a new cheapo 125mm grinder for the upcoming grinding tasks, if it dies I'll just get another one @ $25.00 from Aldi.

Slowly getting there, just dying to build something!
Old Thu 15 August 2013, 02:53
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Laser kit arrived today, awesome stuff. Thanks Rick for supplying. As Rick said, I have no more excuses now and have to get on with things. I have already dry assembled the Y car, fantastic design and love the way it "clips" together. Must shout out to Gerald for his design, excellent stuff Sir! Pity the All blacks are going to kick butt in the Rugby Comp starting on Saturday although South Africa are my second choice.

Been figuring out how the grinding skate goes together and after a quick search worked it out. I am off to buy all the bearings and bolts for it tomorrow. My cheapo $25.00 grinder doesn't quite fit so I will either need to modify the grinder or the skate. I am thinking the grinder as it is a cheapo one, the skate is too beautiful to attack

Got some quotes on steel back, cheapest was just a tad under $800 uncut but delivery is a problem (no hand unloading). Can't quite work out how to get 9 meter bits of steel home so the next best was $1025 cut into manageable sizes to fit in my car, one place didn't have it all so they were discounted (way more expensive as well). Waiting on one more to see which way I'll go.
Old Thu 15 August 2013, 23:38
hevertg
Just call me: Hevert

maracaibo
Venezuela
where I can buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedirector View Post
I am a spindle user, 2.2Kw. I was thinking of getting one of these mounts: http://www.cncrouterparts.com/80-mm-...unt-p-102.html , I have a K2 CNC style mount at the moment (the same as Ross and co have).

Gotcha on the V's, never thought of that

Heres a quick screenie of the Cad drawing with a square representing the rack. You have definitely got my creative juices flowing David, will research a little more now...

Cheers

hello friend, where I can buy it? know its value?
Old Fri 16 August 2013, 00:43
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
Hevert

It is available from the link I posted, all info is on the site.
Old Fri 16 August 2013, 00:53
hevertg
Just call me: Hevert

maracaibo
Venezuela
need the price

I need the price of this, and where I can buy it?
Old Fri 16 August 2013, 01:07
racedirector

New South Wales
Australia
You have to find a supplier close to you. Go to http://www.pbclinear.com/IVTAAQ for info and pricing.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read