MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 22 December 2008, 02:48
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Has dust foot, belt reduction and plastic wheels #22 - Midrand, S. Africa

Hi All,
I was not going to start my own thread but Gerald is persuasive in a still manner.
I have decided to build the MechMate using an existing table that was meant to become a plasma cutter. This will happen later.
The size of the table is:- X = 4510, Y = 2170. I would have liked to have it 2700 wide but as the table is already built and I need the machine running soon, it will have to do. I will build a bigger one ( 6000 x 2700) at a later stage.
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 03:01
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
What is on the top edges of your table? ie. is there something you can bolt the X-rails directly onto?
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 03:13
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald,
Sorry, not enough info supplied. Yes there are "I" beams (158 x 82). The table is built with 75mm sqr tube and has a lot of bracing. The table is very sturdy, probably over designed. My wife says I should have been a Texan. Always bigger, better stronger. The cross beams are dropped by about 80mm so I will go for a longer Z axis option. I prefer this as I am going to do some 3D cutting. I might have to increase the number of cross beams for the purpose of supporting the table base. The table has four legs each side and each have a leveling adjuster plate.
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 03:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Is the 2170mm Y-dimension:
- in between the I-beams, or
- between the centers of the I beams, or
- over the outside of the I-beams?
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 04:06
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The length of the gantry cross-tubes must be sawn to 68mm more than the dimension over the outside of your I-beams.
Old Mon 22 December 2008, 05:08
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald,
All outside dimensions.
Old Tue 06 January 2009, 09:48
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Ok, so now all the holidays are over and we started work again. The frame for the base is just about done and the laser cutting has commenced. I still have to install some cross bracing for the table. I might be fitting a six segment vacuum base. Two sections per division of the table. The router will cut 1800 x 3600 in the end. I will make a larger unit at a later stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7503.jpg (31.3 KB, 1521 views)
Old Tue 06 January 2009, 21:28
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Nice going Marius, looks like a nice strong table that you re-cycled..
Old Tue 06 January 2009, 22:53
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
Yes re-cycled is correctly termed. It started off as a Plasma cutter table by someone else. I then used it as legs for a large vacuum press table and finally it is now becomming a router table. It was not welded completely and I had to check the linearity of the structure. We leveled the table, with four adjustable feet on every side, and then checked it with a laser beam. It is 100% all round. I am pleased about that. Now I must just put some supports in for the MDF flat top.
Old Tue 13 January 2009, 01:59
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald,
Sorry to labor the point, but just to clarify. If I cut the "Y axis" cross beams 68mm longer than the outside dimension of the I beams, is the over hang of the guide rails have been accounted for? With reference to the drawings, they always mention the "Y + xxx" type of dimensions. How do I determine my "Y" size in order to use the references correctly? Is rail to rail or how?
Old Tue 13 January 2009, 03:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
From drawing 10 10 300 W, top right side . . . . .

Your Y dimension = width across I-beams minus 430 mm
Old Tue 13 January 2009, 13:02
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
A picture.

I believe it is right. check it.
Attached Images
File Type: png dimensiones y.png (29.5 KB, 1371 views)
Old Tue 13 January 2009, 13:38
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Thanks Ros, now the picture is very clear.
Just to update. I receive the laser cut components tomorrow as well as the steel for the rails and the gantry. I started with the electrical box tonight and will finish that tomorrow. We have a serious debate over here about the colour of the machine. I fancy orange, my foreman chap likes red and my wife says just not blue. We will have to see who wins.
Old Tue 13 January 2009, 21:38
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks Ros, that helps a lot!
Old Tue 13 January 2009, 22:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
A true MM is BLUE Luckily your wife will not work on the machine...she will just DEMAND 'things' to be made for her...
Old Thu 15 January 2009, 07:58
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
The trouble starts!!! After I looked at the drawing Ros made I realized, with a shock, that the machine will be too small for the intended job. I have to increase the "Y" size by at least 150mm. I also discovered that the I beam is not as linear as I had hoped for. I have made an emergency plan that should be implemented by the weekend. I will post some pics when it is done.
Old Thu 15 January 2009, 09:08
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Marius, the actual movement of the y-carriage is 100mm more than Y. In other words, the center of the router should go 50mm past the edges of the table. For plasma cutting, you don't need this extra, but for routing you might have a big cutter working on the outside of the edge.
Old Thu 15 January 2009, 09:24
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald, I was mistaken from the word go with the width required. I have to cut panels that are 2m wide although the job is about 1930mm. I have already aquired the Bosch GMF 1400 CE router. It is a bit heafty but the router is going to have to work for long hours. I have removed the I beams already as I am not happy with the quality. I designed a boxed offset tube to widen the table and to lift the gantry somewhat. I am going to fit an extrusion in place of the I beams. I am also fitting 75 x 50 tubes all along the bed to carry the 32mm MDF. I intend to fit vacuum to the bed so I am making provision at this time. All these changes means that it will not be true blue MM but I think all the important parts are still intact. The bottom line is the machine has to earn me some bucks and sooner rather than later.
Old Thu 15 January 2009, 20:59
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
BOER MAAK `n PLAN.
Old Fri 16 January 2009, 07:11
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Ja boet, the plan just cost me lotys of buck extra. But a man must do what a man must do.
Old Fri 16 January 2009, 07:13
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Red face Drawing info missing

Gerald,
I just received the laser cut and bend componets from my supplier. They did bend the 10 30 455 plate as they could not find any bend instructions on the drawing. I only have the down loaded files. Is there an update for drawing please?
Old Fri 16 January 2009, 07:24
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald, never mind I reacted before looking for myself. Blonde moments do happen to the best of us
Old Fri 16 January 2009, 09:40
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Boer gooi nooit iets weg nie,bou twee
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 06:17
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Progress update

The modifications to the table legs are done. I think I am going to add a support all along the length between the legs just to make sure. The car is done and so would the gantry be if one of my clever guys did not cut up the material for the gantry.

Gerald, I tried to make sense of all the discussion on cable chains but still I am in the dark. Do you know what the correct or rather best e-chain from Igus will be? My radius will be at least 50mm larger due to the increase in height.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gallery3-1.JPG (42.2 KB, 1235 views)
File Type: jpg gallery3-2.JPG (42.8 KB, 1232 views)
File Type: jpg gallery3-3.JPG (31.5 KB, 1235 views)
File Type: jpg gallery3-4.JPG (37.7 KB, 1238 views)
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 06:40
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Maruis,
If you allow me, cable carrier is mostly selected by ID width & height to meet wiring space needed. Your increase radius only make it easier for the links ( chain) to “loop”. Igus tries hard to demystify & simplify selecting e-chains from their selections. Have a look at this link, and this one, it should help you figure & zero in on what you may want.
Most MechMate w/Igus should go with their 200 series, no more, spending for nothing !
Nice work on your table bas !!
Hop I’ve help ? Amicalement, Robert
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 10:42
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Marius

Interesting solution to your problem, I like it.

Before buying the cable chain from IGUS, try the RS website - sell the same stuff, but just at much better prices - even though you have to buy in whole meters. As Robert has said, a bigger radius will have no negative effect other than the "top" and "bottom" of the loop will not be parallel.
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 22:08
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Marius, you can also try
MAGQUIP
1202 Beitel Street, Robertville
P.O. Box 682, Maraisburg 1700
Roodepoort, South Africa

Telephone: +27 11 474 6567
Fax: +27 11 474 8354
Email: info@magquip.co.za

The last price was about R1400.00 for 4 meters of cable chain.
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 22:18
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Alan, yes I was not willing to scrap the table. This way I could also get a bit of extra height in the Z axis. I intend to do a lot of 3D cutting for mould plugs so the extra height is very handy.

Thanks for the replies on the chain, I will be sorting that out today.
Old Sun 18 January 2009, 23:22
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Kobus,
Can you remember the model number that you used?
Old Mon 19 January 2009, 00:00
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
4 METER 0450.40 KR 094 KABELSCHLEPP CHAIN
2 SETS END CONNECTORS 0450.40

Was on the Quote

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read