MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 26 January 2010, 07:03
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Pablo,

If you are planning a Dust Collector, you might find it useful to prepare a closet above the rooms in the back for the Dust Collector. This closet could be enclosed and sound proofed so that the noise of the Dust Collector would be silenced. I have a Dust Collector closet and I vent the air drawn into the Dust Collector closet back into the room through double filters.

You can also vent the Dust Collector to the outside, but this involves additional design to account for the air that is "vacuumed" out of the workshop. Also, there may be rules against such venting in your location.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 08:38
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
That's an awesome shop Pablo. It's going to be really spectacular.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 08:40
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
That was originally a compressor - that is the reason for cooling fins on the pipes going to the big tank. (If it was only vacuum, then those pipes would be cold).

Oh, I did not realise you already had staff toilets at the back end. I thought your staff were all using the front toilets, which is okay. But then you would get visiting crew going throught the offices and that can be a bit of a problem if they spot a nice cellphone or calculator on a desk....

Suggest you put a strong floor over the back rooms. Always useful for machinery or storage. Also, get a good electricity point for the staff rooms, separate from the machinery electrical points . . . . staff do some crazy things (put knives into toasters) and then trip the machines.
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 21:10
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
. . . . staff do some crazy things (put knives into toasters) and then trip the machines.
I always thought that is our local tradition...

There is really no boundary for this sort of practice
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 23:04
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool...
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 23:15
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
That is a very interesting compressor:

This is a moving .gif image.....give it time to load to load from Argentina (www.tausem.com.ar) big file, 828 kB
Old Tue 26 January 2010, 23:49
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
I wonder how they machine an arced pot? What are the advantages, less moving parts?
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 00:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Much shorter piston that doesn't wobble in the cylinder, and therefore no oval wear of the cylinder and piston.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 05:11
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
The designer/Inventor and patent owner is Argentino, he even made a car motor out of the same concept, here is his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jorgetau

That image sometimes takes ages to download, I mirrored it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3624504/cabezal-movimiento2.gif

Later today I'll met with the refurbisher, he will replace the automatic, add a pressure gauge, air filter, check if the pulley needs to be replaced to a bigger/lower diameter, remove rust and paint it again and the hydraulic test.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 05:26
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Pablo, back to your factory . . .

If you use a roller door for the big front door, you need some space for the roller box (about 400mm X 400mm). It is a real problem to find space for the door mechanism - normally it will reduce the entrance height by 400mm.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 13:13
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
good point, will ask the architect about this particular detail, im meeting him tomorrow.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 18:59
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Me gusta su calle empedrada y el árbol frente a su edificio, supongo que es casco antiguo. (perros orinan en el árbol).
Puede hacer ruido en esta zona? tal vez tenga que insonorizar.

I like its cobbled street and the tree in front of his building. suspect old area.
(dogs pee on the tree.)
You can make noise in this area? might have to soundproof.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 21:13
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Todos los barrios por la zona son arbolados, esta en una zona semi-residencial, mayormente viviendas unifamiliares y bastantes edificios, es decir, puede haber actividades laborales pero de bajo impacto ambiental (sonido, vibraciones, etc) No va a ser necesario insonorizar, el ruido de un spindle no pasa las paredes y no hay maquinas que generen vibraciones

All the neighbourhoods in the area have trees, this is a semi-residential zone, mostly uni-family homes and many buildings, you can install shops but they must be low disturbance (noises, vibrations, etc) I don't think noise cancelling will be necesary since spindle noise is barely heard across walls and I will have no vibration generating machines there.

Del arbol probablemente tenga que cortar una ramas principales que se proyecta hacia el terreno actual, porque cuando esten hechas las oficinas chocaria con una ventana.

From the tree its most probably I will have to trim one of the main branches thats actually over the lot, when the offices are made this branch would project into the office thru the windows.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 22:22
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The branches will be used in the parrilla?
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 12:31
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
if I allow it to dry of course, but its too much hassle, charcoal is next to free here or I can purchase quebracho (a local hard wood) also for next to nothing

Garage Door: today the architect told me this is a non issue, the rollable front door its hidden in the ceiling beneath 1st floor flowers place, he explained it to me with a drawing like this one:

Also I asked for the shop perimetral columns to have support for a 2 or 3 ton crane bridge, not that I will install one from the get go, but having the columns ready will save me a lot of money when I decide to install it.

The plans are ready to be presented for approval, aesthetics can be discussed later since the approval process takes around 2 months with luck.

As soon I return from my holidays, they start this monday, I will start purchasing motors/drivers/bob and analize if I can machine the eccentrics and V rollers and will ask for quotes for local laser/bending or waterjet/bending there are at least 10 shops within one hour drive, so prices should be fair.

Last edited by PEU; Thu 28 January 2010 at 12:34..
Old Sat 20 February 2010, 16:19
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Last tuesday I sent request for the lasered/waterjet parts, about 10 emails to different providers, 3 replied within the next few days and I will call on monday as a follow up to the ones that didn't reply

One quoted a nice price but on a 10sets basis, gone, other two were waterjets and they cant mark the pieces for bending, not sure if this is OK. I have zero experience in laser/waterjet cutting but one of the companies that quoted said if I was going to compare waterjet to laser they wont quote since waterjet is far LESS expensive... this was contrary from what I read here.

So far best price is 1750 pesos + tax (usd450+tax) without bending for the full set, not the economic version.
The rep from one company that I called yesterday afternoon, after a little chat about the files and that they were for a machine we are building (he didnt received the plans at that moment) asked me, are these parts for a router? I was amazed, how the h**l did he know? anyway, on monday I will know if the router he guessed is a MM or another beast.

While I was on vacations compressor mod was done by pros, take a look:

And this short video of the beast in motion, the voice you hear is me talking with an employee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Blp95fmq58

Pablo
Old Sat 20 February 2010, 20:14
riesvantwisk
Just call me: Ries #46

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Pablo,

I did had my parts plasma cut (fyi 275usd in Ecuador). I don't think that not having the bend lines available is a huge issue. However, I agreed with my plasma cutter that I would bring the parts home first after cutting to drill the rest of the holes and add the bend lines by hand. THen I would bring them back to have them bend. This process was good, but it's very time consuming.
If I could, I would have them laser cut and bend lines added, this will safe you some time. It's not very easy to add the bend lines on some of the parts, specially the z-plate, but very doable.

Ries
Old Mon 22 February 2010, 08:52
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
More quotes are starting to roll in, best price so far: laser & bend pieces below usd400 for the full options list
Old Mon 22 February 2010, 09:21
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Send a message via MSN to riesvantwisk Send a message via Skype™ to riesvantwisk
Pablo,

sounds like you will have your laser cut part very soon then

Ries
Old Mon 22 February 2010, 10:13
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
yup next is the USA purchasing spree: motors, geckos, pmdx bb and stuff thats pricey here in Argentina, I have plenty of time to make the electronics box before I will be able to build the mechanics.
Old Fri 26 February 2010, 09:23
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
For the readers in Argentina, biggest Argentina woodworking expo starts next week:
http://feria.fitecma.com.ar/
Will take photos of the interesting stuff.
Old Fri 26 February 2010, 10:23
riesvantwisk

Quito
Ecuador
Pablo,

I miss that sort of thing here in Ecuador

Ries
Old Mon 01 March 2010, 08:29
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Today I made the 1st step towards my mechmate, ordered the lasered parts, just in case I ordered the whole full set (29 pieces essential+optional) since Im still undecided on what motors to use, if I have to choose now, I would pick ungeared and add a 4:1 transmision.

The price, after a round of 9 RFQ, is only $227+tax it will be ready in two weeks, the delay is part of the low price, sometimes it pays to work in advance
I hope I can get a structural steel deal similar to this one.

One question, since the price is so great, is there something else I can get lasercut that is not in Gerald plans?

Regarding the construction, plans are still waiting to be approved, already got the natural gas supply stopped and got the certificate from the company, but demolition alone could take at least 15 days more...

Im happy (because of the lasered parts not because of the approval delays)
Old Mon 01 March 2010, 12:48
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Pablo, you can see the Z plates made by Ivo in Stonia Link is only one cut and two bends.
You can test with this, i have the plans in Acad. Spider2.pdf

And can cut the Leo reductions drives Link

I think you selected the Motion King 34HS9801

Last edited by isladelobos; Mon 01 March 2010 at 13:16..
Old Mon 01 March 2010, 13:09
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Hi Pablo maybe you would want to cut your company logo and use it as a branding iron . Dont forget to mirror
Old Mon 01 March 2010, 16:25
PEU

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Ros, muy buena idea, voy a mandar a cortar 4 juegos de las reducciones de Castone! (good idea, I will order 4 sets of the Castone reductions) Do these reductions work for all axes?

Normand: you mean to stamp my work on the back for example?

Gracias/Thanks!

Last edited by PEU; Mon 01 March 2010 at 16:28..
Old Mon 01 March 2010, 19:17
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
Yes that is what I mean ,just heat with a torch and apply to the back of your work . also could be use on livestock if you ever get
Old Mon 01 March 2010, 20:21
Sergio-k
Just call me: Sergio #61

Athens
Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by normand blais View Post
Yes that is what I mean ,just heat with a torch and apply to the back of your work . also could be use on livestock if you ever get
Hey, that's a nice idea

Old Mon 01 March 2010, 21:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Would that not be a MilkMate?
Old Tue 02 March 2010, 05:03
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Ros,

Do you have a DXF for that Z plate?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read