MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 02 December 2008, 23:13
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
PMDX-122 relay output voltage?

I have been reading about the relays for the main power e stop circuit, and the
router control circuit, It appears to me that both are switched with the
Teco CN-22-F6 relays, and I intend to use them but no where can I find what the switching voltage is for these I assume that it is 5V DC and I was wondering if that is correct?

also are the on off switches on the front of the door momentary switches?
thanks Chopper
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 00:05
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The PMDX-122 has a relay built-in that can switch any voltage you want. Folk normally use that to switch mains AC to the Teco contactor. So you buy a Teco with a coil for 120VAC (or whatever your mains voltage is there)

The push button switch actuators on the door are "momentary" or "non-latching".
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 07:43
chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Gerald,
thanks I understand that I can run relays that switch any voltage I want,
what I meant to say is what voltage from the pmdx switches the relay?
or how much is the logic control voltage to the Teco
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 09:02
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa

Connector J7 of the PMDX (right side, bottom) are the terminals of the PMDX's own relay. (You can see the black cube relay sitting near to J7). None of those terminals are connected to a power supply on the PMDX.

So, you need to bring/connect mains 120VAC to the RLY COM terminal in the middle of J7. The N/O point at the bottom of J7 will then give you 120VAC when that relay is energised, and you therefore take the N/O to the Teco's 120VAC coil. (other end of the Teco coil goes to Neutral)
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 09:20
chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Thanks Gerald,
sorry I didn't know that 120 was tied to the pmdx, I thought it was just feed with 5-12 volts dc, I get it now
chopper
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 09:31
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
It's your choice. You could feed 12VDC (as an example) to the RLY COM, but then you need to:
1. Buy a Teco contactor with a 12VDC coil (not AC), but they are not listed at FactoryMation
2. Check that you have sufficient 12VDC to "fire" (energise) the Teco's coil.

At factorymation, your choices of Teco coils are limited to 24, 120 or 240VAC. The easiest one is mostly the 120VAC.
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 20:12
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Gerald,

I'm personally at the point of working on the Mains Power layout for my Mechmate. I don't understand the following from your post #2 in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The PMDX-122 has a relay built-in that can switch any voltage you want. Folk normally use that to switch mains AC to the Teco contactor. So you buy a Teco with a coil for 120VAC (or whatever your mains voltage is there)...
In Drawings 10 60 (115 or 130,230,380), the Contactor is actuated by a NO On Button in the upper left of the drawing, not the PMDX-122 Relay. Once the Contactor is actuated, it provides Mains Power to the Toroid Transformer (thus powering the Gecko's) and the (optional) 9VAC transformer to power the PMDX. Therefore, the PMDX could not be used to actuate the Contactor. Please clarify.

Regards,
John
Old Wed 03 December 2008, 21:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
John, this thread was started with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I have been reading about the relays for the main power e stop circuit, and the router control circuit, It appears to me that both are switched with the Teco CN-22-F6 relays, and I intend to use them but no where can I find what the switching voltage is for these I assume that it is 5V DC and I was wondering if that is correct?
I replied re the router relay only.
Old Thu 04 December 2008, 05:52
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Thanks, Gerald,

I was seeking clarification for the part marked in blue in the following part of post #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
The PMDX-122 has a relay built-in that can switch any voltage you want. Folk normally use that to switch mains AC to the Teco contactor...
I very much like the approach used in the MainsPower drawing 10 60 115, etc. for activating the Mains Power and latching it with one of the contacts of the Teco Contactor.

As for controlling the router and dust collector, I plan to use SSR's similar to this http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17155+RL. This approach was discussed by Mike Richards in the Control Systems thread in February of 2007. This SSR can be activated by as little as 3 VDC. So the +5 Volts available on the PMDX-122 should be sufficient to switch on the Router and Dust Collector. Caution: I haven't yet worked with Mach3 enough to understand how Mach3 would turn-on the Router and Dust Collector via the PMDX-122.

Regards,
John
Old Thu 04 December 2008, 06:58
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Sorry John, I was being too economical with words . . . . the missing words are added in red:

Folk normally use that to switch mains AC supply to the relay's Teco contactor's coil.
Old Thu 04 December 2008, 07:00
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Be wary of SSR's. They sometimes don't work when there is a smart speed controller in the router.

The drift of this thread now continued here:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read